Great images in cricket.

Remove this Banner Ad

WG Grace made the list because he was judged to be one the best players to have played the game. He played in an era when Test cricket was almost non-existent, so it stands to reason his greatness is reflected in his first class record rather than his Test record. Heck, the first ever Test match was in 1877, when Grace was already 29 years old. You're trying to claim that Wisden selected him because of his First Class record when it is actually the opposite, they selected him because he was great player, which is reflected in his First Class stats. That's why mentioning Hick or Ramprakash is disingenuous.

It really doesn't. Because even if you take Grace out of the Wisdens XI, there's a case to be made for Len Hutton (averaged 56 in Test cricket... and also scored more than 40,000 FC runs) or Herbert Sutcliffe (who averaged more than 60 in Test cricket... as well as scoring more than 50,000 FC runs).

There's no doubt that Gavaskar was a wonderful player and deserve consideration in an All-Time Xi... but it's hardly some kind of conspiracy that he just missed out.

WG Grace made the list because he was judged to be one the best players to have played the game. He played in an era when Test cricket was almost non-existent, so it stands to reason his greatness is reflected in his first class record rather than his Test record. Heck, the first ever Test match was in 1877, when Grace was already 29 years old. You're trying to claim that Wisden selected him because of his First Class record when it is actually the opposite, they selected him because he was great player, which is reflected in his First Class stats. That's why mentioning Hick or Ramprakash is disingenuous.

It really doesn't. Because even if you take Grace out of the Wisdens XI, there's a case to be made for Len Hutton (averaged 56 in Test cricket... and also scored more than 40,000 FC runs) or Herbert Sutcliffe (who averaged more than 60 in Test cricket... as well as scoring more than 50,000 FC runs).

There's no doubt that Gavaskar was a wonderful player and deserve consideration in an All-Time Xi... but it's hardly some kind of conspiracy that he just missed out.

I'm glad you mentioned Hutton & Sutcliffe.

Their test records alone put them well in front of WG for consideration for selection in the all time best TEST XI.

Last edited:
Just on this - it would be a good exercise to come up with a side that would go up against the XI......I'll have a try:-

Sunil Gavaskar
Geoff Boycott
Greg Chappell
Brian Lara
Graeme Pollock
Jacques Kallis
Adam Gilchrist
Richard Hadlee
Dennis Lillee
Lance Gibbs
Fred Trueman

Tough exercise.

Could have Barry Richards / Len Hutton / Gordon Greenidge in for Boycott?
Ian Botham / Kapil Dev / Imran Khan for Kallis?
Michael Holding / Andy Roberts for Fred Trueman? McGrath even?

Gavaskar and Boycott batting together would cure insomnia
Don't remember Gavaskar being a particularly slow scorer?

Although he did bat for for the entire 60 overs making 36* in the 1975 World Cup against the poms. Laughingly, he said that it was a difficult pitch to bat on despite the poms making over 300 in their innings.

australian-cricket-tour-england-ashes-21648164.jpg.webp

Australian cricket tour of England for the Ashes.
Warwickshire v Australia at Edgbaston.
John Inverarity makes a brilliant one handed catch to dismiss Alan Smith off the bowling of Dave Renneberg.
13th June 1968

I know he wasn't popular as a selector but as a plaýer John Inverarity was unlucky to not play more tests. If another era he might have been captain.

Another one featuring Ian Botham with some other great all rounders from his era, Richard Hadlee, Clive Rice, Kapil Dev and Malcolm Marshall.

aaat4o8ipvy31.jpg

They just needed Imran Khan there to complete the set of the great all rounders from that era.

I was a big fan of all those players as a kid apart from Clive Rice who I never saw play being from South Africa, he was up there with them though.

There's a golf course right next to the Queenstown Airport which I played on when me and the misses were on holidays over there a couple of years ago...

Its kind of weird..... your just about to play a shot and all of a sudden a bloody great aircraft either takes off or lands right next to you....the golf course and the airport runway are separated only by a chain wire fence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1581915

Barry Richards looking exasperated at Davy’s tree trunk compared to his twig of a bat that he scored his 325 in a day with
With the evolution of the bats and the reduction in the size of cricket grounds, its no wonder that today's batsmen seem to be averaging higher than their predecessors.

Pretty hard to beat Viv when it came to cool West Indians.

Him and Beefy were like the cricket version of Miami Vice.

c5e8e01094553063010d2858043fce48.jpg
I have Botham's autobiography and in it he tells of the early days with Viv and him at Somerset, becoming best friends.

The Peter Roebuck debacle where he forced out both Viv and Joel Garner from the club, and Botham's reaction to it is a great read.

I have Botham's autobiography and in it he tells of the early days with Viv and him at Somerset, becoming best friends.

The Peter Roebuck debacle where he forced out both Viv and Joel Garner from the club, and Botham's reaction to it is a great read.

I've read his autobiography too, he certainly wasn't a fan of Peter Roebuck and his treatment of Viv and Joel, it was one of the reasons he left Somerset.

Remove this Banner Ad

Great images in cricket.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back