Greatest Goal That Meant Nothing

Remove this Banner Ad

Star said:
It was every behind in that game that annoyed me :mad:

Along the same vein, every point that Longmire kicked in Round 22 (?) in whatever year it was when he did everything in his power to NOT kick the ton!

Will there be a greatest goal that MEANT something thread?

Re: Simmos' blind kick against West Coast in Rnd 1 a few years back beatifully sheparded through by Pikey.

How about Flossie's goal in the dying moments of the 1996 GF. In the context of the game/result it had little meaning.....Fortunately we were sitting directly behind him and the crowd went off their perch when he kicked it. A great premiership, a great moment, an awesome final kick (don't think he got another kick in the game) in an honest footballers career!

1997LeadGoalKicker said:
How about Flossie's goal in the dying moments of the 1996 GF. In the context of the game/result it had little meaning.....Fortunately we were sitting directly behind him and the crowd went off their perch when he kicked it. A great premiership, a great moment, an awesome final kick (don't think he got another kick in the game) in an honest footballers career!

No one got another kick in the game...They bounced the ball and the siren went. Kingy grabbed the ball and wasn't going to let go of it for anyone. Belly tried the same in '99 but the umps were adamant and he reluctantly gave it up.

1997LeadGoalKicker said:
Along the same vein, every point that Longmire kicked in Round 22 (?) in whatever year it was when he did everything in his power to NOT kick the ton!

Yes, round 22.

He kicked 2/8 to end the season on 98 goals.

C*&$%#@&*d flogged us, and I bit my footy record in half.

Marstermind said:
No. That was the last round of 1986. Gary Dempsey finsihed playing midway through 1984.

Mastermind, while we're on the subject of us v Dons at Windy Hill, what year was it that Rosco Glendinning disposed (and how!!!!) of Billy Duckworth with the perfect shirtfront?

Brought a tear to my eye and Duckworth's as well.

I seem to recall we'd had a poor season so I'm figuring it was a game near the end of the season. Think we won the game though.

Any info greatly appreciated, as always.

Mr Reliable said:
Mastermind, while we're on the subject of us v Dons at Windy Hill, what year was it that Rosco Glendinning disposed (and how!!!!) of Billy Duckworth with the perfect shirtfront?

Brought a tear to my eye and Duckworth's as well.

I seem to recall we'd had a poor season so I'm figuring it was a game near the end of the season. Think we won the game though.

Any info greatly appreciated, as always.

Exactly right. We had to beat Melbourne and Essendon in the last two rounds of 1986 to make the finals. Beating Melbourne seemed a given and Essendon was the tough one. However, Melbourne pantsed us by about 80-90 points with David Williams kicking 9 goals and then the Essendon game meant nothing. We cam out firing and kicking with a gale in the first term kicked 8 goals to zip and won by around four goals. Jim Krakouer hit Mark Harvey and I think got 4 weeks. Ross Glendinning - in his last game for the Roos - fixed up Duckworth with and fair but uncharacteristic shirt front.

The following day on "Club Corner" Kanga Kennedy was asked if running through a player was an indication the Glendinning was heading West. Dryly Kanga replied, "I don't know what direction he was running in."

Re: Greatest Game That Meant Nothing

Marstermind said:
Ross Glendinning - in his last game for the Roos - fixed up Duckworth with and fair but uncharacteristic shirt front.

The following day on "Club Corner" Kanga Kennedy was asked if running through a player was an indication the Glendinning was heading West. Dryly Kanga replied, "I don't know what direction he was running in."

Uno momento Mastermind, IIRC, Rosco played ONE MORE game after that FREIGHTRAIN game :thumbsu: that involved a helluva 'bloody' lot more ACTION on the park or should I say, Oval. ;)

jozeph said:
Another Carey special was the banana left foot against the Bombres in '99, we lost the game but the rest is history, he kicked 11 that day, prolly his best ever performance.
KingyortheKing said:
That was quickly forgotten with Lloyd's 'awesome' goal a bit later....

One goal required skill. The other didn't.

Lloyd in his wildest dreams couldn't kick a goal like that.

Because I can't STFU about that game and that goal my girlfriend bought it for me for Christmas. :eek:

The second biggest let-down of that game for me after Lloyd's dime-a-dozen (these days anyway) kick off the ground trumped Carey's left-foot checkside falling backwards over the boundary line for GotW, was that the commentary team for one of the greatest games of the nineties was so abysmal.

Drew Morphett, Terry Wheeler and Jim Stynes...

7 couldn't have dusted Bruce and Dennis off for the top of the table clash (and what looked like being the Grand Final rehearsal) at the home of football?

dyertribe said:
Because I can't STFU about that game and that goal my girlfriend bought it for me for Christmas. :eek:

The second biggest let-down of that game for me after Lloyd's dime-a-dozen (these days anyway) kick off the ground trumped Carey's left-foot checkside falling backwards over the boundary line for GotW, was that the commentary team for one of the greatest games of the nineties was so abysmal.

Drew Morphett, Terry Wheeler and Jim Stynes...

7 couldn't have dusted Bruce and Dennis off for the top of the table clash (and what looked like being the Grand Final rehearsal) at the home of football?
Yep. 7's commentry combinations were laughable at times. I hated Robinson, Morphett, Sandy, KB, Cornes, Knuckles, and Dipper with a passion. And to think some of them could find themselves out of the tip and back into a commentry box makes me cringe.

Re: Greatest Game That Meant Nothing

Woodson said:
Uno momento Mastermind, IIRC, Rosco played ONE MORE game after that FREIGHTRAIN game :thumbsu: that involved a helluva 'bloody' lot more ACTION on the park or should I say, Oval. ;)

I'll give you a half mark there Woodson. He might have played in the game at the Oval in 1986, but the "Battle Of Britain" was in 1987 when Rosco had just finished his first year as the Eagles' captain. I think the 1986 game was a far more docile affair.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Greatest Goal That Meant Nothing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back