Other Gridiron DVDs, Books, Documentaries

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching NFLN last night, they're gonna do ANOTHER Belichick documentary :rolleyes:

The new one to be aired is called: A FOOTBALL LIFE - Cleveland '95 (about the Belichick days).

Also, saw this on PFT....

Ex-NFL millionaires Rison, Kosar, McCants tell how they went broke

Posted by Michael David Smith on September 29, 2012, 12:14 PM EDT
andrerison-e1348935228207.jpg

Every few weeks another story pops up about a former NFL player who made millions of dollars and has now lost all of it. And every time, fans wonder: How in the world can anyone blow that much money? A new documentary is attempting to answer that question.

Broke, the latest installment of ESPN’s “30 for 30″ documentary series which premieres on Tuesday night, features the stories of dozens of pro athletes who wasted millions of dollars, including former NFL receiver Andre Rison, former NFL quarterback Bernie Kosar and former NFL linebacker Keith McCants. I watched an advance version of the documentary, and the basic answer to the question of how you can blow that much money is: Very easily.

Kosar talks about how he trusted his father to take care of his money, and his father simply had no concept of how to properly invest millions of dollars. Rison boasts that he’d go to a club and spend tens of thousands of dollars, making sure everyone in the room knew that he was the rich guy. McCants says that when you’re a drug addict like him, more money just means more problems.

McCants has spoken several times about how money fueled his addiction, to such an extent that he thinks he would have been better off if he had never been rich.

I wish I had never had any money,” McCants told the Tampa Tribune last year. “I would’ve been great without money. It’s a sad story, but it’s a true story. Money destroyed everything around me and everything I care for, my family, my so-called friends. I just want enough to live on. I never want to be rich again.”

Watching Broke, I wouldn’t go so far as to say I wouldn’t want to be rich, but I will say I wouldn’t want to be rich with absolutely no financial sense, which describes many professional athletes. The NFL and the players’ union have tried with programs like the rookie symposium to teach 20-something millionaires how to some day be 40-, 50-, 60- and 70-something millionaires, but a whole lot of those players don’t get the message.

Cleveland ’95 special more about Belichick than the Browns

Posted by Mike Florio on October 2, 2012, 8:25 PM EDT
p1_belichick_all-e1349223773705.jpg

In 2011, NFL Films launched its remarkable A Football Life series with a two-part study of Patriots coach Bill Belichick. The next episode, which focuses on the ’95 Browns, should more accurately be regarded as a Belichick prequel.

The study of the 1995 Cleveland Browns, which debuts Wednesday night at 8:00 p.m. ET on NFL Network, spends more time focusing on the legacy of the coach than the fate of the franchise. Yes, there’s plenty about the final days in Cleveland of the team that became the Ravens. But there’s more about the manner in which Belichick influenced a generation of men who reached tremendous heights (admittedly with varying degrees of success) elsewhere.

Dubbed “the slappies,” guys like Eric Mangini, Phil Savage, Jim Schwartz, Nick Saban, Scott Pioli, and Thomas Dimitroff, went from low-level jobs in Cleveland to high-end jobs elsewhere. (Actually, Savage’s high-end job came back in Cleveland, as G.M. of the reconstituted Browns.)

Praised by everyone in modern-day interviews for his role in teaching and shaping football minds, the show features great footage from the early 1990s of Belichick (at times in a Cliff Huxtable sweater), showing the same intensity and drive that carried him to three Super Bowl championships and perennial contention.

It’s hard not to wonder what would have happened if the Browns hadn’t left Cleveland, especially with Jonathan Ogden and Ray Lewis arriving the next season via round one of the draft. And that will continue to haunt Browns fans until they secure a championship of their own.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm about to watch the Football Life doco on the 95 Browns now. Sometimes I enjoy watching the docos on the history as much, if not more than watching games..Pats game excluded of course :cool:
Oh shit yeah. Watching, old games and docos about the past, and reading about the past is always rewarding. :thumbsu:

I still enjoy watching LOMBARDI..

'What the HELL is going on out there!!??" << sound bite that says it all and use it when you log into these forums and see Riggy posting ' '1' '2' '3' '4'.. (just taking it one step than GG's 'disbelief diagram' )

Here a few interesting ones in another series..called 'Football Life'. Started watching Kurt Warner.

Others include: Al Davis, Tom Landry, Steve McNair, Chris Spielman and Bill Belichick.

The Football life about the Immaculate Reception was interesting.

Watched it last night... the NBC footage with the old man throwing the ball against the brick wall ...shows vision frame by frame that the ball had actually surpassed passed Frenchy Farqua (intended receiver) and cannoned off the Raiders defender because it was physically impossible to deflect a ball at right angles. Don't know what the Raiders are crying about? And the clip?? turn it up... clearly a BLOCK as also the first contact is evident and the top point of the ball was at just under the knee so go measure the ball and it would cleared the ground, I look at the hands and arched back..(only to an extent) no conclusive evidence that ball hit the ground.. Raiders players were clearly grasping at short straws / living in denial that their stories have any substance.

Having IQd it on ESPN weeks ago I finally got around to watching the Elway and Marino 30 for 30 last night. Interesting to hear the stories of draft day 30 years on from both them, their agent and various club figures involved in the deals on the day like Ernie Accorsi, Shula, Rooney.

And for not the first time I wondered what Patriots history would have been like if we'd drafted Marino with pick 15 instead of Tony Eason.

Having IQd it on ESPN weeks ago I finally got around to watching the Elway and Marino 30 for 30 last night. Interesting to hear the stories of draft day 30 years on from both them, their agent and various club figures involved in the deals on the day like Ernie Accorsi, Shula, Rooney.

And for not the first time I wondered what Patriots history would have been like if we'd drafted Marino with pick 15 instead of Tony Eason (pick #15).

I think it's fair to say that much of the reason why players become better players is maybe because of the system in place at the time and why BUSTS become busts... Marino is from Pittsburgh as we already know and to think that not even the Steelers (coming off their 70's glory) were not wise enough to scoop up Dan Marino pick #21 (Marino went #27) which really says more about either the GM/ owners mindset on the day OR that the system failed.

The 1983 'First Round' Class exhibited SIX HOFers...

#1 John Elway
#2 Eric Dickerson
#9 Bruce Matthews
#14 Jim Kelly
#27 Dan Marino
#28 Darrell Green

Remove this Banner Ad

Other Gridiron DVDs, Books, Documentaries

Remove this Banner Ad

Back