Griffen

Remove this Banner Ad

Think this guy might be having his "breakout" year.

I thought he had a pretty good year last year after a significant change of roles withing the structure. But this year he seems to have found a balance between inside and outside midfield play. His fitness level is getting better by the week it seems.

His kicking is a lot like Eagleton's in that when he stuffs it up it is due to going for so much. As soon as he learns when the right time is to go for broke with his kicking he'll just about be unstoppable.

That goal after receiving hands off Roughead in the last proved how easily he can nail them from fifty and beyond. He needs to take more responsibilty and get in that position multiple times in games and demand the ball.

His kicking is better when he actually kicks though the ball, rather than trying to keep it low and stab at it.

I also think, his better playing from the wing, his harder to tag as his not at the feet of the ruckman constantly like when he plays on the ball. Let the boy run and use his pace and use his kicking ability. When he plays on the ball he seems to be in and under all the time. Thats not a bad thing, but his best use is when his receiving hands and getting some easy receives, as his so damaging when his on fire.

A mate of my old man was mates with Griff's old man. He knew Griff a bit from when he was growing up and always said that if he made the AFL he'd win a Brownlow one day. Could this be the year?

A mate of my old man was mates with Griff's old man. He knew Griff a bit from when he was growing up and always said that if he made the AFL he'd win a Brownlow one day. Could this be the year?

It would be great to see another dog win one so soon after Coons but I doubt it. He'd have to have a blinder nearly every game as he doesn't stand out to the umpires like a Judd or Goodes or Ablett does. I'm just glad he seems to be playing to his potential. When he starts running and breaking tackles it is an exciting sight. You can see him revving up the twin turbo engines and dropping the hammer as he runs onto a handball or sharks a pack.

Channel 10 in SA just reported that Griffen's management are meeting with deligates from Port Adelaide, as we are very interested in gaining his services.

Good luck with that, I think every side would be interested but I can't see him leaving the Dogs. Could you imagine GC's offer compared to yours:eek:.

Good luck with that, I think every side would be interested but I can't see him leaving the Dogs. Could you imagine GC's offer compared to yours:eek:.

Haha, I know. It's a pipe dream. Guess we would have to tug at his heart strings. He does come on SA radio quite regularly.

Pipe dream perhaps but I would be interested in what Doggies supporters would consider equitable value for his services i.e what would be considered reasonable if he were to leave and come to Port Adelaide?

Pipe dream perhaps but I would be interested in what Doggies supporters would consider equitable value for his services i.e what would be considered reasonable if he were to leave and come to Port Adelaide?

No one player on your list.

If forced i would want Hartlett, Gray & Pearce together.

He's not leaving the Dogs.

He's good enough, i back him every year at 100/1

this year he is averaging 27 poss per game which is significantly up on past years....how about a Norm Smith & Brownlow in 2010?

Hartlett and a pick in the 20's.

I'll get screamed down for that on this board but we've got a few boys aging and a ready made top 10 pick and a fresh face will keep us in the hunt.

This year is our year anyway. Akermanis, Johnson, Eagleton, Hall and Hudson won't be here in 2 years and Hahn, Gia, Gilbee and even Lake aren't getting any younger either and their bell curve of performance will go over the ridge.

No one player on your list.

If forced i would want Hartlett, Gray & Pearce together.

He's not leaving the Dogs.
I'm not sure if that means you don't rate anyone on the Port Adelaide list or you're being facetious for the sake of it. Truth be known is I don't think he will leave and if he does Adelaide probably has better bargaining power than we would.

Hartlett and a pick in the 20's.

I'll get screamed down for that on this board but we've got a few boys aging and a ready made top 10 pick and a fresh face will keep us in the hunt.

This year is our year anyway. Akermanis, Johnson, Eagleton, Hall and Hudson won't be here in 2 years and Hahn, Gia, Gilbee and even Lake aren't getting any younger either and their bell curve of performance will go over the ridge.
Well Hartlett won't happen because he was pick 4 and is a SA boy. Thanks for establishing what Griffen's value looks like. I fear it will be too high a price for Port Adelaide.

I'm not sure if that means you don't rate anyone on the Port Adelaide list or you're being facetious for the sake of it. Truth be known is I don't think he will leave and if he does Adelaide probably has better bargaining power than we would.

I don't think Woofer meant anything like that. Griff is his favourite dog, and I tend to agree with his terms on that. There is no one player that would be worth a trade for Griffen.

When you look at it, Griffen is a top 5 draft pick, something I can't recall you can offer us in terms of a player currently playing on your list apart from Hamish. Also, Griffen is on the verge of elite, whilst your younger players are still a few years off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think Woofer meant anything like that. Griff is his favourite dog, and I tend to agree with his terms on that. There is no one player that would be worth a trade for Griffen.

When you look at it, Griffen is a top 5 draft pick, something I can't recall you can offer us in terms of a player currently playing on your list apart from Hamish. Also, Griffen is on the verge of elite, whilst your younger players are still a few years off.
That's a fair comment Tillerific. Admittedly I don't frequent opposition boards often nor do I have a feel for the mood or reputations of posters in their home forum. I have an idea of Griffen's value and I was interested to see if Doggies fans would inflate that value or look at a fair and equitable deal considering the actual talent there is on Port Adelaide's list.

Ryan Griffen is a talent and looks set to have his break out year. Would I love him at Port Adelaide? I sure would! Would I be prepared to give up what would be asked for him? That's highly unlikely.

If Port Adelaide were to land Griffen, I believe we'll scare monger with the Gold Coast side's arrival in the AFL. I still think he'll stay with the Doggies in good news for your lot.

Yeah there was the brief go home factor especially after his Dad's death. But we have a strong group of South Aussie players to detract from that homesickness (Minson, Lake, Cooney, Tiller, etc).

This looks like being his break out year, and his value would be up enough by the end of the season that he would be out of reach of most clubs, so Port wouldn't be the only ones unwilling to match the asking price.

Gold Coast and Western Sydney are the worry, but I'm confident Griff will be with us for a few years to come.

wapower--It's not a case of not rating anyone on your list--in fact i quite like many of your players especially after backing them @ $4.25 to beat Stk last week! (Tillerific actually responded pretty well for me). Griffen is my favourite Dog & i feel worth more than any 1 player you guys would offer including Hartlett who i rate highly.

Griffen appears on the verge of going from fantastic talent who is a good player to fantastic player period.

Of course we want to see it over a prolonged timeframe but so far so good this year.

wapower--It's not a case of not rating anyone on your list--in fact i quite like many of your players especially after backing them @ $4.25 to beat Stk last week! (Tillerific actually responded pretty well for me). Griffen is my favourite Dog & i feel worth more than any 1 player you guys would offer including Hartlett who i rate highly.

Griffen appears on the verge of going from fantastic talent who is a good player to fantastic player period.

Of course we want to see it over a prolonged timeframe but so far so good this year.
Absolutely mate. As has already been explained to me. It's the same mentality I have for Jacob Surjan. It would have to be an amazing offer to contemplate that trade!

We all have our binkies!

That's a fair comment Tillerific. Admittedly I don't frequent opposition boards often nor do I have a feel for the mood or reputations of posters in their home forum. I have an idea of Griffen's value and I was interested to see if Doggies fans would inflate that value or look at a fair and equitable deal considering the actual talent there is on Port Adelaide's list.

Ryan Griffen is a talent and looks set to have his break out year. Would I love him at Port Adelaide? I sure would! Would I be prepared to give up what would be asked for him? That's highly unlikely.

If Port Adelaide were to land Griffen, I believe we'll scare monger with the Gold Coast side's arrival in the AFL. I still think he'll stay with the Doggies in good news for your lot.

What do you think he's worth?

I'm not sure what Griff would be worth. He's been our #1 player this year. Was taken at pick 3. Is on the verge of becoming something special. Averaging 27 disposals a match with the majority of them being kicks. Is ranked 3rd in metres gained for the comp.

If we fail bad this year, I would take picks 8 and 16(?) .
It was picks 9 & 16. Port Adelaide already had pick 8.

With GC having all the draft picks that would be impossible. Boak??

It would be easier to do a player swap with the Crows if Giffen wanted to go back home.
I agree that it would have to be a player and our first round draft choice. As it looks Adelaide will be in a far stronger position to land Griffen than Port Adelaide would. That said the lure of home and the possibility of going to a side with a brighter onfield future can't be ignored.

The reality is I believe Griffen will stay with the Doggies unless there is information we all are unaware of. This move may be a misdirection on Port Adelaide's behalf or an attempt to drive up his price. Clubs do it all the time.

I love this sort of talk for two reasons.

First, the posters on this board and other clubs' boards get to learn a lot about their opposition's players, otherwise they look like a dick when posting rubbish in terms of fair trades and compensatory draft picks.

Second, a bunch of people go to a club to talk about numerous player contracts but highlight one in particular to the media. Normally that one contract has attributes that the local media will jump all over, such as current year's performance, "go home" factor etc, resulting in intense media scrutiny on clubs and players for no good reason.

If we were to lose Griffen for next year, then I think a first rounder and an average depth player is all we could hope for. Not because he isn't worth more than that, but because first and second round draft picks are going to be extremely valuable over the coming seasons.

Sure, Griffen is currently worth at least an early first rounder and maybe a mid to high second rounder, but we wouldn't be able to get that for him this year when he is out of contract.

I love this sort of talk for two reasons.

First, the posters on this board and other clubs' boards get to learn a lot about their opposition's players, otherwise they look like a dick when posting rubbish in terms of fair trades and compensatory draft picks.

Second, a bunch of people go to a club to talk about numerous player contracts but highlight one in particular to the media. Normally that one contract has attributes that the local media will jump all over, such as current year's performance, "go home" factor etc, resulting in intense media scrutiny on clubs and players for no good reason.

If we were to lose Griffen for next year, then I think a first rounder and an average depth player is all we could hope for. Not because he isn't worth more than that, but because first and second round draft picks are going to be extremely valuable over the coming seasons.

Sure, Griffen is currently worth at least an early first rounder and maybe a mid to high second rounder, but we wouldn't be able to get that for him this year when he is out of contract.

I tend to agree, we wouldn't get equal value--hence why its so important to retain him....pretty sure his preference would be to stay.

Remove this Banner Ad

Griffen

Remove this Banner Ad

Back