mitch820

Debutant
Oct 19, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns (NBA)
What numbers do you thing our known recriuts will be given.

These numbers are available after trades and delistings as well as the two rested numbers:

11 (rested from Maxfield), 13, 14 (rested from Paul Kelly), 15, 26, 29, 38, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47

and why should the number 14 goto a nsw boy? alot of sydney supporters forget a fair percentage of swans supporters were sth melb supporters or due to that link. i understand the need for the team to be symbolic of sydney and nsw but i think we are still a generation away from that kind of segregated attitude.

also are you forgetting the greatest player to wear 14 for the swans was not a nswman?

and why should the number 14 goto a nsw boy? alot of sydney supporters forget a fair percentage of swans supporters were sth melb supporters or due to that link. i understand the need for the team to be symbolic of sydney and nsw but i think we are still a generation away from that kind of segregated attitude.

also are you forgetting the greatest player to wear 14 for the swans was not a nswman?

Yes but Paul Kelly is from NSW.

i'll give you the rundown.

Bob Skilton

9 B&F
3 Brownlow Medals
3 Club Leading Goal Kicker
13 season Captain (165 games)
238 total games
2 seasons as coach
Victorian Team of the Century (anyone know how many times he rep'd?)
AFL Team of the Century
AFL HoF (Legend)

Paul kelly

4 B&F
1 Brownlow Medal
10 season Captain (182 Games)
234 total games
3 time All-Australian (twice captain)
AFL HoF

Why does every conversation turn into a NSW V Vic debate?
Yes, Bob Skilton was the greatest ever SOUTH MELBOURNE player, I don't think you'll find anyone on this board that would disagree with you. But Kelly is (in my opinion) the one most synonymous with the SYDNEY SWANS.
I actually don't agree with retiring certain numbers, if we keep going the way we are by holding back #14, #11 next we'll have no one playing in #37 and #31 because we can't replace Goodesy and Kirk, I think it's time to bring all the numbers back into circulation and starting with a good young prospect in Bird is a good place to start. The fact that he is also a NSW boy is a bonus. We should give pick 11 guernsey #11 then all the numbers are back out there again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i'll give you the rundown.

Bob Skilton

9 B&F
3 Brownlow Medals
3 Club Leading Goal Kicker
13 season Captain (165 games)
238 total games
2 seasons as coach
Victorian Team of the Century (anyone know how many times he rep'd?)
AFL Team of the Century
AFL HoF (Legend)

Paul kelly

4 B&F
1 Brownlow Medal
10 season Captain (182 Games)
234 total games
3 time All-Australian (twice captain)
AFL HoF

It's very hard to compare the two players. They played in different eras. Very tough call either way.

It's very hard to compare the two players. They played in different eras. Very tough call either way.

Its a very easy call.

One is a Legend of the Game and considered to be one of the Top 20 Players of ALL TIME.

The other was one of the best players of the 90's and one of the Swans greatest 5 players (He was named the TOTC Vice Captain, but I think the like's of Nash, Pratt and Goodes muddle the Top 2-5 placings debate). Era's they played in don't come into it.

Yes Paul Kelly was a great player, but his deeds on the football field don't come close to matching those of Skilton and it doesn't even matter which State of Australia either of them was from.

We are just damn lucky to have two very good players to have worn the 14 jumper with pride and are able to have this kind of discussion.

As for the debate over retiring jumpers. I think you should only do it for numbers of "special meaning" and 14 clearly has because of Skilton and Kelly earnt that right. But for most other number such as 1, 11, 31 and most likely 37 I say rest them for a season upon retirement of a club great such as a Maxfield, Hall, Kirk etc and give them to a draftee at random the next season they are available.

As for 14, I'm all for retiring it for good. But if it is ever returned to "service" don't "hand it down" upon a player, because they will then be expected to live up to the jumper. Just pick a new draftee at random (regardless of where they are from) and give them the number and let them grow into the number without expectation.

Its a very easy call.
Just pick a new draftee at random (regardless of where they are from) and give them the number and let them grow into the number without expectation.

exactly! regardless of where they are from, this whole he should be from nsw thing is rediculous and frankly insulting to vic based fans.

25 times? thats insane! what a bloody legend. on a unrelated side note they should definately bring back State of Origin, look how well league has adopted it from afl, i think afl states will get behind it again.

Bird for 14, I agree completely. It's been five years, that's enough.

I also like the Cheese for 11 call from earlier on this thread. Do it before he becomes too ingrained in 41.

Bird for 14, I agree completely. It's been five years, that's enough.

I also like the Cheese for 11 call from earlier on this thread. Do it before he becomes too ingrained in 41.

I hope he doesn't stay with 41. It's a wonder why goodes didn't get an earlier number after he got rising star in '99.

What *I* would do:
11. Barlow
13. Mattner
14. Bird
26. Playfair
29. Pick 11
38. Pick 26

However, I suspect we'll see 11 and 14 passed over again.

I like Charlie's suggestion, and would hate to see the #14 retired permanently
I think Bird is a good choice for 14, but lets not make it anthing to do with expectation

Also if Jack is retained he may be looking for a lower number
And presumably there will be a delisting or 2 more, opening up a couple more numbers

I don't want to turn this into a raging debate but Bob Skillton is arguably the best ever Swans player of all time. Ron Pratt, Ron Clegg, and Laurie Nash among others would be up there. Trouble is, I'd guess, nobody on this board would have seen them play. There is a reason that Bob Skilton and Paul Kelly were on the dias handing over the Premieship cup. They were the best players of their era.

Remove this Banner Ad

Guernsy Numbers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back