Guernsy Numbers

Remove this Banner Ad

I would like to see 14 back on the field next year. It has been 5 years and I think long enough.

From memory Hawthorn retired 5 for about 20 years after Crimmins died. Now worn by Sam Mitchell. A future leader qand champion.

Geelong have brought back 5 this year with Travis Varcoe.

If Bird is as hard at the ball as I have heard, he gets my nod.

I always thought the player made the number and not the number making the player.

After all Matthews is playing in 4.

I would like to see 14 back on the field next year. It has been 5 years and I think long enough.

From memory Hawthorn retired 5 for about 20 years after Crimmins died. Now worn by Sam Mitchell. A future leader qand champion.

Geelong have brought back 5 this year with Travis Varcoe.

If Bird is as hard at the ball as I have heard, he gets my nod.

I always thought the player made the number and not the number making the player.

After all Matthews is playing in 4.

I believe Mitchell IS the leader...spot on though! There is too much expectation on the player to live up to the number, whereas he should just live up to the responsibility of becoming a good AFL team player.

Outsider view,

What about give Goodes 14? Groom Bird to take over it when Goodes retires. 11 is a tough one for you guys but Barlow would do it proud if given the chance. I hate retiring numbers though!

He's been too ingrained in it, first premmie, first & second Brownlow medals and the Skilton's.
Sentimental value, you know? :)

After all numbers available have been finalised, this is what I think should happen:

11. Bird
13. Mattner
14. Barlow
15. Pick 11
26. Playfair
29. Jack
38. Pick 26

O'Dwyer and Rowe will probably stay with 43 and 46 repectively if put back on rookie list.

Retiring numbers is silly, its not the number thats a legend, its the player.

After all numbers available have been finalised, this is what I think should happen:

11. Bird
13. Mattner
14. Barlow
15. Pick 11
26. Playfair
29. Jack
38. Pick 26

O'Dwyer and Rowe will probably stay with 43 and 46 repectively if put back on rookie list.

Retiring numbers is silly, its not the number thats a legend, its the player.

So you rekkon the famous number 14 guernsey should go to The Big Cheese :)

Surely you can't judge a player on one game? Yes he shows potential but it's way to premature to say he's going to be awsome.

OK, sorry, maybe awsome isn't the best word to use. How about 'he shows a tonne of potential.'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swans website now lists Ed Barlow as #11

No news on other numbers though

I know it sounds ridiculous, but somehow the number suits him.

Just thinking it actually could be argued that more top players have worn that guernsey number than even #14 (only Kelly & Skilts?). Consider guys who have worn #11 include Bedford, Browning, Cazaly, Maxfield, Papley, & Pratt (before he swapped to 10).

PS To be honest I'm not sure Maxfield warrants inclusion in that pantheon, but I'd probably be attacked if I left him off. As I will be now for casting aspersions on him. :)

I hope he does the #11 proud, right now it looks as if he has the goods to.

I wonder what number the Vesz and Meredith will get, 15 sounds right for Pat..
I'm going to keep a track on both of them, because i sort of haven't with all the other rookies :D

I know it sounds ridiculous, but somehow the number suits him.

Just thinking it actually could be argued that more top players have worn that guernsey number than even #14 (only Kelly & Skilts?). Consider guys who have worn #11 include Bedford, Browning, Cazaly, Maxfield, Papley, & Pratt (before he swapped to 10).

PS To be honest I'm not sure Maxfield warrants inclusion in that pantheon, but I'd probably be attacked if I left him off. As I will be now for casting aspersions on him. :)

Yes, you are going to cop it from me, I only started following the Swans because of Stewie!

What *I* would do:
11. Barlow
13. Mattner
14. Bird
26. Playfair
29. Pick 11
38. Pick 26

However, I suspect we'll see 11 and 14 passed over again.

Very close to the money there Charlie - only got Veszpremi and Mattner the wrong way around

Also if Jack is retained he may be looking for a lower number

Of course, I was right too!

New numbers for 2008:
11. Ed Barlow
13. Patrick Veszpremi
14. Craig Bird
15. Keiran Jack
26. Henry Playfair
29. Martin Mattner
38. Brett Meredith

No word on the rookie list yet, though retained rookies Smith and O'Dwyer are expected to keep their old numbers (40 and 43 respectively)

is still think that the captain should wear number 14 in honour of two of The best E.V.E.R one from Sth Melb and one from Sydney.

of course i know we have umpteen captains

just the one would be ok

Outsider view,

What about give Goodes 14? Groom Bird to take over it when Goodes retires. 11 is a tough one for you guys but Barlow would do it proud if given the chance. I hate retiring numbers though!

No bloody chance in hell should Goodes change his number!!
It will be a number to remember long after he has retired.

As a few boys have said the player makes the number and that is certainly what has happened to number 37 !!

Remove this Banner Ad

Guernsy Numbers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back