• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Bicky

Rookie
Jul 6, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm just wondering which string brands everyone uses most? I use elixir nanos for acoustic and Ernie Ball Titanium for electric. I'm hoping to buy in bulk from distributors and sell by mail for better prices than music shops, so I'm interested to know the most commonly used strings.

I've had trouble with Dean Markley myself, so would be unlikely to try to find those, but it would be interesting to see if anyone else has had trouble with those, or any other brand.

Personally I have always used D'Addarios and have been happy with them so I've never bothered to experiment with any others. Dude I used to play in a band with used them too and used to break strings a bit during gigs (which I never did) so maybe that has more to do with technique/guitar set up than brand of strings.

Yeah I reckon you're right, string breakage probably has more to do with setup etc. The problems I had with Dean Markley were with a kink in the windings when brand new, and the sound degrading faster. With most half decent brands I reckon 3-4 days after you put them on they'll all sound pretty good (unless theres a kink in the windings), and probably hard to even pick between them.

When I have judged my brands it is more about how long the tone lasts before you need new strings on gauging how good they are. For people who change strings only when they break they're probly not too fussed. I change every few months -on my good guitars that is. My older less played ones I just change when I have to.

Elixir is my preferred string for acoustic guitar, but when I want the cheaper option then its either DAddario or Dunlop strings I find it hard to discern whether there's is any real difference in value or longevity of guitar strings in the mid range price so I stick with what has served me well

For classical its always Augustine strings

Slinkys are ultra popular for electric, I barely talked to a guitarist who doesn't use or hasn't tried them. The pretty cheap price range too probably helps, no loss if you try and don't like.

Apart from mellow there's not much love for anything other than the 'big 3' (Elix, D'Ad, Ernie)

I use 10-46 Ernie Ball regular slinkys on my guitars. I picked up a limited edition tin with about 12 sets a while ago. Slowly going through them. I'd say I change my strings when I really need to. My friend on the other hand is extremely pedantic and changes his after about 30 hours worth of playing.

The singer for the band Presidents of the United States of America (with such hits as 'Peaches' and 'Kitty') only uses two strings

crs-pusa.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

d'addario 9-42's and 10-46's on my strats. They are the longest lasting strings i have found, however ernie balls i find are easier to bend using the same guage but dont last very long (get sweaty hands).

The singer for the band Presidents of the United States of America (with such hits as 'Peaches' and 'Kitty') only uses two strings

crs-pusa.jpg

Is that serious? does he always play with 2 strings? never listened to much/ any Presidents.

Although i think someone said they are touring Australia soon?

Is that serious? does he always play with 2 strings? never listened to much/ any Presidents.

Although i think someone said they are touring Australia soon?

As far as I know - I've never been the biggest fan but I remember my mate always telling me that - Then I looked it up for this thread and found that photo and a number of other references to him using only 2 strings - Can't say that it's for 100% of their songs, but it certainly looks like it is for a substantial amount of time

As far as I know - I've never been the biggest fan but I remember my mate always telling me that - Then I looked it up for this thread and found that photo and a number of other references to him using only 2 strings - Can't say that it's for 100% of their songs, but it certainly looks like it is for a substantial amount of time

According to the world's most reliable source of 100% correct information (Wikipedia), he always plays with 2 strings... And he has a kids band now called Caspar Babypants in which he plays guitar with three strings. I actually listen to a lot of presidents, every now and then, but had no idea.

caspar-babypants.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Guitarists, which strings do you use?

Back