Gunners in Perth

Remove this Banner Ad

Not all in correct order...they played for right on two hours including encore
There were 3 or 4 guitar solos and a piano solo as well, and two new songs I didn't recognise.

Welcome to the jungle (opener)
Its so easy
Live and Let die
Knockin on Heavens door
Sweet child o mine
Patience
Better (new song)
My Michelle
Nighttrain
November Rain
You Could Be Mine (awesome)
Mr Brownstone
Out ta get me

Paradise City (encore)

Can't say I was overly impressed.
Far too many muscian's on stage and half the time you could barely hear Axel (Doesnt help when every second bogan near by is screaming the song's at the top of their voice though)

Concert 6/10

Sorry if we have to remain silent at a rock concert Sabre. Nah I think it had more to do with Burswood dome sucking like usual. Other than that I thought it was pretty sweet. The new songs didnt get much reception and Dont Cry was played as a solo by Bumblefoot.

Set List
Welcome to the Jungle
It's So Easy
Mr. Brownstone
Live and Let Die
Sweet Child O' Mine
Better
Knockin' On Heaven's Door
You Could Be Mine
The Blues
Out Ta Get Me
November Rain
I.R.S.
Don't Cry
My Michelle
Patience
Nightrain
Paradise City

The first four songs were great and so were Nightrain and Paradise City at the end.

Apart form that, I thought it was an average show.

The three guitars (why?) seemed to morph into one giant wall of sound and buried Axl's vocals a lot of the time.

The solos were appalling. Too many and all incredibly bad.

I really enjoyed it, but I do agree that too much time was spent on solos that could have better used on songs.
Axel's voice was drowned out a bit at times, I reckon that's more to do with the crap acoustics of the venue, tho I am no expert in that area.
Axel sounded fine and seemed on his game, which was a bonus I reckon.
Worth the investment IMO.

Started on time. Just a bit past 11:00.

Bach was unintentionally hilarious. His one stage move consisted of spinning his mic above his head furiously. :D

Thought it was awesome!!!

Axel's vocals did get drowned out at times but apart from that he was in fine voice. Just gotta lose those braids!!

Freaking awesome though, the highlight of the night had to be November Rain and You Could Be Mine. So glad I can now say ive seen the Gunners live.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That seems pretty late.
Gigs of that size ussually start at approx 9:00pm over here in Melbourne.

Or is that what time it finished?

No, scheduled start at 10.50, actually started at about 11.10 which is actually pretty good. I've heard that he is late to all of his shows, one of them didn't finish till 3.30am!:eek:

No, scheduled start at 10.50, actually started at about 11.10 which is actually pretty good. I've heard that he is late to all of his shows, one of them didn't finish till 3.30am!:eek:

The only shows that start that late over here are usually smaller venues that are for over 18's.
Big arena shows which are all ages usually dont start later than 9:30pm.

Axle is a notorious pre-madonna. Had a mate that was driving the gunners roadies around europe on the tour and he reckons that Axle would start at least an hour late for every gig. A couple of the stories as to why they were late on stage was that Axle had to finish his roast dinner, or the masseuse didn't avert her eyes so he had to wait on another before he'd go on stage.
I saw the 'gunners' in london at Wembley arena (40quid) and they were an hour and a half late.. There were a lot of pissed off people in the crowd as people missed the last tube home.
When I saw them I thought the solos were pretty butchered, but I guess its hard to try and match slash. Also thought the new songs really sucked arse. The crowd just weren't interested.
All in all though it was bloody worth it.

I'm going on Saturday night can't wait....

Axl rose to the rock’n’roll occasion

12th June 2007, 7:15 WST

West Australians don’t need to be told how to rock. After all, we live in Bon Scott’s home town.

So the dedication of this gig to the former AC/DC singer just added a little more enthusiasm to a pot which already was well and truly bubbling with anticipation as Perth played host to the opening show of Guns N’ Roses’ first Australian tour in almost 15 years.

In case anyone actually needed some warming up, old mates Rose Tattoo took the stage and did what they do best — rock. Through bar-room brawlers like Bad Boy for Love, We Can’t Be Beaten and Nice Boys (Don’t Play Rock’n’Roll), Angry Anderson successfully preached his rockin’ sermon to all.

Former Skid Row singer Sebastian Bach offered the most metal-styled set of the night. With head-banging hair right out of a Clairol advertisement, Bach pulled out Big Guns and Monkey Business alongside the best-known 18 and Life and the big-hair ballad I Remember You. A new track called American Metalhead slipped in comfortably while Youth Gone Wild, another signature, was the closer to a strong and overly enthusiastic set.

Axl Rose might not be so thin and these days sports cornrows but there still is something totally charismatic and even enigmatic about the 45-year-old Guns N’ Roses singer. This really was his show and from the first song he prowled, danced and held the crowd in his hand all night.

The set which kicked off just after 11pm was based on the classic 80s album, Appetite for Destruction. GNR roared through It’s So Easy, My Michelle, Out Ta Get Me, Nightrain, Mr Brownstone plus, of course, the sentinels of Paradise City, Welcome to the Jungle and Sweet Child o’ Mine, two songs with the most teasing guitar riffs of all time.

It was a corker of a rock ’n’roll show played by a band firing on all cyclinders, but what totally broke my heart was that Axl’s vocals were only barely audible in places. Blame it on the mix because in between odd bursts of metallic hissing and grating, he sounded like good ol’ Axl.

When the music turned down for Patience, November Rain (featuring Axl on piano) and the cover of Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door, you actually could hear his voice. It was then you realised it wasn’t Axl’s unique voice that was beyond repair, it was the mix which failed him totally.

It was a good thing we all knew the words, otherwise we’d really have been lost. But the crowd was forgiving. They were there for a good time, sang along at the top of their voices, danced and made the night their own.

The handful of new songs, including Better, were not a patch on Appetite and given the state of the vocals, close on impossible to figure out.

Almost the entire band got a chance to solo, proving they indeed were kick-ass — but they weren’t Slash or Izzy. We were there for Axl and the GNR songs.

It was a spirited show and it counted. But, I couldn’t help wishing I’d seen Guns N’ Roses in their heyday in some seedy LA dive.

Very true but you can replace the band. You cant replace Axl and his voice.
The lack of Slash was telling on Sunday.

The NIN reject with the beard was really quite atrocious.

I enjoyed the show, and it was great to finally see Axl, but I definitely didn't see Guns N' Roses.

The lack of Slash was telling on Sunday.

The NIN reject with the beard was really quite atrocious.

I enjoyed the show, and it was great to finally see Axl, but I definitely didn't see Guns N' Roses.

That's half the reason I didn't bother. Gn'R are no longer Gn'R. Axl has another project band named Hollywood Roses...haven't heard thier material but it's typical he would NEED to play much of the Gn'R old stuff for him to continue on. One trick pony artist in my books.

Axle is a notorious pre-madonna. Had a mate that was driving the gunners roadies around europe on the tour and he reckons that Axle would start at least an hour late for every gig. A couple of the stories as to why they were late on stage was that Axle had to finish his roast dinner, or the masseuse didn't avert her eyes so he had to wait on another before he'd go on stage.
I saw the 'gunners' in london at Wembley arena (40quid) and they were an hour and a half late.. There were a lot of pissed off people in the crowd as people missed the last tube home.
When I saw them I thought the solos were pretty butchered, but I guess its hard to try and match slash. Also thought the new songs really sucked arse. The crowd just weren't interested.
All in all though it was bloody worth it.
Obviously hasn't heard the masterpiece that is 'Like a Virgin.'

I just got back from Melbourne gig. In a word disappointing. Whilst it was a good gig and enjoyable in parts what struck me more than anything was that I was seeing a bunch of individually gifted musicians, no question Bumblefoot Thal in his own right is one hell of a guitarist and the rest were also very very good musicians.

What I didnt see was a band, a passionate expression of good music. I saw a bunch of musicians go through the motions and produce some amazing music but it just didnt have that spark that little bit extra that turns a good gig into an awesome gig.

I have seen some of the greats in my time and to me watching Joe Walsh "feel" his music on stage or Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood weave that tapestry of sound is something I will hold onto a hell of alot longer than what I experienced tonight. Hell watching "Shortie" from Collards Green and Gravy at the Stork hotel on a Friday bang his drums holds more passion for me.

I wanted so much more, maybe im the idiot for thinking I would get it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Gunners in Perth

Remove this Banner Ad

Back