News Hall of Fame

Remove this Banner Ad

As I said, I do understand that (otherwise it would just be a Fitzroy Hall of Fame). However, I still think that Merrett's exclusion is ridiculous. From 1988 to 1996 he WAS Brisbane and, of the Brisbane Bears/Lions included only Voss and Matthews contributed anywhere near as much to the club. He was the first Bear included in 2002's combined HoF so why not this time? People having short memories and wanting to see a few premiership heroes rewarded, isn't sufficient reason. Sure, he might get in next time but that's not the point.

Save some legends for us Brisbane people.

Ashcroft was an underrated player btw. Was an exceptional midfielder in the 90s before Matthews rebuilt him as a back pocket.

I would have had Merrett in for Lynch,even if it was for the fact that he was the beginning of the end for Fitzroy FC. :) Not sure I would have had Ashcroft in either. Perty may struggle based on his limited time (in the end) at the club. I reckon one club players get an immediate headstart which i appreciate is a bit old fashioned but HoF that you actually despised at some point (Warwick Irwin was scum for doing what he did at that point in our history) doesn't sit that well IMO.
What about Butch Gale / Norm Johnstone?

I would have had Merrett in for Lynch,even if it was for the fact that he was the beginning of the end for Fitzroy FC. :) Not sure I would have had Ashcroft in either. Perty may struggle based on his limited time (in the end) at the club. I reckon one club players get an immediate headstart which i appreciate is a bit old fashioned but HoF that you actually despised at some point (Warwick Irwin was scum for doing what he did at that point in our history) doesn't sit that well IMO.
What about Butch Gale / Norm Johnstone?

Gale, Johnstone and a host of others naturally suffer because you can only put so many in from one of the iterations - Fitzroy, Bears, BLions. That's yet another reason why I find Merrett's omission so puzzling. Aside from what he achieved while playing for the club, he represents the Bears. Voss, Lappin, Leppitsch, Lynch, Matthews and Ashcroft represent the Lions; that's the iteration they're most known for (Lynch being, perhaps, the one exception). So who genuinely represents the Bears?

As I said, I do understand that (otherwise it would just be a Fitzroy Hall of Fame). However, I still think that Merrett's exclusion is ridiculous. From 1988 to 1996 he WAS Brisbane and, of the Brisbane Bears/Lions included only Voss and Matthews contributed anywhere near as much to the club. He was the first Bear included in 2002's combined HoF so why not this time? People having short memories and wanting to see a few premiership heroes rewarded, isn't sufficient reason. Sure, he might get in next time but that's not the point.

The point is that there were better players included who were more deserving for the first round of inductions.

It's not as if Merrett is the only decent player not to be inducted on this occasion.

Voss, Lappin, Leppitsch, Lynch, Matthews and Ashcroft represent the Lions; that's the iteration they're most known for (Lynch being, perhaps, the one exception). So who genuinely represents the Bears?

Voss won his Brownlow with the Bears along with two B&F's. Ashcroft also played a significant number of games (152) for the Bears, and would have to be considered one of their elder statesmen, given that his career began in 1989.

Let's not forget that it's not as if the list won't be added to over time.

I would expect that the likes of M.McLean, C.Lambert, M.Leslie, D.White, J.Gastev and perhaps even M.Mickan might even gets inducted at some point in future years, with them all having significantly represented the Bears years. R.Walls would probably rate an induction as well, for his efforts both at Fitzroy and the Bears.

Yeah but having the B&F medal named after you sort of implies that you are held in a position ahead of any other player who represented that particular club?? Even Voss who i would argue put his status in footy history for what he did for the next 10 years, not his first 5. Imagine Dick Reynolds not getting in the Bombers HoF at the first crack...
Personally think Lynch's role is terribly overplayed. He was extremely ordinary for a couple of years at Fitzroy before he came good and then he was very ordinary for the Bears when he was going thru his CFS. I'm not sure there should be too many Bears players TBH - yes they were trailblazers but I think first and foremost you have to be a decent footballer to get into a HoF, not just one of the first to play for the club, otherwise we may as well go back to 1896 and work out who Fitzroy's first players were.
Walls is a given IMO at some stage.
Like arseholes we all have opinions and good debate!!:D

The point is that there were better players included who were more deserving for the first round of inductions.

It's not as if Merrett is the only decent player not to be inducted on this occasion.

The point is that Lappin, Leppitsch, Ashcroft and Lynch weren't better players than Merrett, none of them played as significant a role for the club, none of them were more deserving and none of them had the B&F named after them.

End of the day, it's really none of my business but I find Merrett's exclusion as incongruous as Silvagni and Williams' inclusion in the AFL Team of the Century.

The point is that Lappin, Leppitsch, Ashcroft and Lynch weren't better players than Merrett,
Lappin and Leppitsch were definitely better players than Merrett. I'd also say by quite some margin.
Ashcroft would probably be on a par with Merrett as a player, although, his career achievements probably put him ahead of Merrett when it comes to Hall of Fame induction.

none of them played as significant a role for the club

I can't agree with that statement at all and I doubt that many (or any) Brisbane Lions supports would, to be honest.

none of them were more deserving and none of them had the B&F named after them

The old Fitzroy B&F was named after A.Gale. Was A.Gale a better player than H.Bunton, A.Ruthven and K.Murray?

Leppitsch and Lappin are more deserving of being in the Hall of Fame than Merrett, whilst Ashcroft is certainly on a par.

The point is that Lappin, Leppitsch, Ashcroft and Lynch weren't better players than Merrett, none of them played as significant a role for the club, none of them were more deserving and none of them had the B&F named after them.

End of the day, it's really none of my business but I find Merrett's exclusion as incongruous as Silvagni and Williams' inclusion in the AFL Team of the Century.
I'd argue that Lynch played a significant role. Whether it was good or bad is a matter of opinion.

Yeah but having the B&F medal named after you sort of implies that you are held in a position ahead of any other player who represented that particular club??

Was A.Gale a better player than H.Bunton, A.Ruthven and K.Murray?

How many clubs have their B&F named after their greatest ever player, out of interest? Often it is a player early in the club's history who was memorable for various reasons, but not necessarily the best player that the club has had, not necessarily the most deserving for induction into a Hall of Fame, particularly in the inaugural meeting.

Likewise, do you expect the club to change the name of their B&F medal every time a "better" player comes along?

Even Voss who i would argue put his status in footy history for what he did for the next 10 years, not his first 5.

Voss was the most successful Brisbane Bears player, given that he won a club equal record two B&F's and a Brownlow Medal during his time in Bears colors. He continued to be a great player with the Lions as well, perhaps even better, but he's certainly the best of the Bears.

Imagine Dick Reynolds not getting in the Bombers HoF at the first crack...

The only player equatable to D.Reynolds in the combined history of the clubs is H.Bunton, who was inducted as a Legend in the inaugural induction last weekend.

For the record, the Essendon B&F is not even named after D.Reynolds, either. It's entitled the W.S. Crichton Medal.

Personally think Lynch's role is terribly overplayed. He was extremely ordinary for a couple of years at Fitzroy before he came good and then he was very ordinary for the Bears when he was going thru his CFS.

I wouldn't say that he was "extremely ordinary" in his time at Fitzroy. To be honest, that sounds like a bit of hyperbole to me. From 1989 to 1993 Lynch was one of the best young players in the game, playing well at both ends of the ground.

Likewise, Lynch's efforts from 2000 to 2004 should not be underplayed, but often are. He was one of the best full-forwards going around over that time and a key part of the 2001-2003 Premiership teams.

I'm not sure there should be too many Bears players TBH - yes they were trailblazers but I think first and foremost you have to be a decent footballer to get into a HoF, not just one of the first to play for the club, otherwise we may as well go back to 1896 and work out who Fitzroy's first players were.

I agree with this, but your last point seems to contradict many of your earlier points and is also why it is completely justifiable that other players got in ahead of Merrett on the basis of them simply being better players.

Lynch was a fine on-field performer for Fitzroy and accordingly found a spot on the bench in our Team of the Century. However, my beef with him is that he did a Gary Ablett, Tom Scully and buggered off purely for the money when he was needed most. It must be remembered he is not a one club player and conversely was an opportunist. It's only coincidental he joined the team which Fitzroy would later merge with. I couldn't forgive him for leaving our club and always felt he could have potentially been Fitzroy's Trevor Barker.

Lynch was a fine on-field performer for Fitzroy and accordingly found a spot on the bench in our Team of the Century. However, my beef with him is that he did a Gary Ablett, Tom Scully and buggered off purely for the money when he was needed most. It must be remembered he is not a one club player and conversely was an opportunist. It's only coincidental he joined the team which Fitzroy would later merge with. I couldn't forgive him for leaving our club and always felt he could have potentially been Fitzroy's Trevor Barker.

Totally agree lynch leaving was the end of fitzroy as we had a slow death after that. Ironically I caught him on the boundary for 99 when he played with his brothers team nook for a one off game. I said to my team mates the last time I stood on the same piece of grass as him was for his 100th game when I held up the banner at princess park in 1992 when I was in the ffc cheersquad. Although he was a great player a few of the team of century players were questionable considering only a handful of players were selected from our greatest era 1897~1922 7 premierships 5 runners up. I have a team of the century picture and love it with all the different jumpers on the players but I always think about some of greatest players missed out as no one was alive to remember them ie Gerald Bronson billy mcspeerin jack cooper jimmy freake to name a few. Good on the bears doing a hall of fame fr fitzroy but thougt fitzroy still have their own or has that stopped now.

Was A.Gale a better player than H.Bunton, A.Ruthven and K.Murray?

No but he is in Fitzroys TOC and HoF.. Whats your point??

How many clubs have their B&F named after their greatest ever player, out of interest? Often it is a player early in the club's history who was memorable for various reasons, but not necessarily the best player that the club has had, not necessarily the most deserving for induction into a Hall of Fame, particularly in the inaugural meeting.

many are and it makes sense to do so:

Carlton - John Nicholls
Swans - Bob Skilton
Hawthorn - Peter Crimmins
Richmond - Jack Dyer
Saints - Trevor Barker
Bulldogs - Charlie Sutton

Likewise, do you expect the club to change the name of their B&F medal every time a "better" player comes along?

They actually do on occasions.

Voss was the most successful Brisbane Bears player, given that he won a club equal record two B&F's and a Brownlow Medal during his time in Bears colors. He continued to be a great player with the Lions as well, perhaps even better, but he's certainly the best of the Bears.

Agree - he was the best of the Bears players, but Merrett was far and away the most influential IMO. He didn't just make up numbers like many of the Bears players did and accumulate 50 cheap AFL games.

The only player equatable to D.Reynolds in the combined history of the clubs is H.Bunton, who was inducted as a Legend in the inaugural induction last weekend.

Interesting - many say that James Hird was the best Essendon player ever now.

For the record, the Essendon B&F is not even named after D.Reynolds, either. It's entitled the W.S. Crichton Medal.

Stand corrected

I wouldn't say that he was "extremely ordinary" in his time at Fitzroy. To be honest, that sounds like a bit of hyperbole to me. From 1989 to 1993 Lynch was one of the best young players in the game, playing well at both ends of the ground.

Likewise, Lynch's efforts from 2000 to 2004 should not be underplayed, but often are. He was one of the best full-forwards going around over that time and a key part of the 2001-2003 Premiership teams.

I would - used to go and watch near every week and he was very ordinary at both ends of the ground for his first couple of years. He was a key member for sure in the Lions side bn 2000 to 2004.

I agree with this, but your last point seems to contradict many of your earlier points and is also why it is completely justifiable that other players got in ahead of Merrett on the basis of them simply being better players.

I'm not arguing about some of the others - Lappin was a champion, I'd put Power and even Aker in before Ashcroft though but I would not have Lynch for a variety of reasons (don't like him, reckon he got away with a complete act of treachery and lead a blessed career - right place, right time - and to my mind Merrett should have been the first Bear picked

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is just nonsensical - was the real blot on that otherwise well selected team IMO.

No but he is in Fitzroys TOC and HoF.. Whats your point??

The point was pretty clear, I thought, as judged by the fact that you responded it in the rest of your post; a club's B&F is not always named after their best player.

many are and it makes sense to do so:

Carlton - John Nicholls
Swans - Bob Skilton
Hawthorn - Peter Crimmins
Richmond - Jack Dyer
Saints - Trevor Barker
Bulldogs - Charlie Sutton

Out of that lot (which is not a significantly large list as it is), I'd suggest that only Bob Skilton would be regarded as his club's best player and possibly John Nicholls as well.

I'm not convinced at all by your argument.

They actually do on occasions.

Very rarely, and usually only on occasions when it is a special tribute to someone, such as to P.Crimmins of Hawthorn being given a tribute due to his untimely, early death.

Agree - he was the best of the Bears players, but Merrett was far and away the most influential IMO. He didn't just make up numbers like many of the Bears players did and accumulate 50 cheap AFL games.

I don't think anyone is doubting the contribution of R.Merrett, however, whether or not is as good or as important as other players seems to be the point. The selectors and many other people on these boards (for what it's worth) think that other players were better or more important to warrant induction into the inaugural Hall of Fame.

Interesting - many say that James Hird was the best Essendon player ever now.

Pretty hard to argue against D.Reynolds' achievements for mine. B.Hutchinson and J.Coleman would also have fair claims to being Essendon's best player, I reckon.

I'm not arguing about some of the others - Lappin was a champion, I'd put Power and even Aker in before Ashcroft though but I would not have Lynch for a variety of reasons (don't like him, reckon he got away with a complete act of treachery and lead a blessed career - right place, right time - and to my mind Merrett should have been the first Bear picked

Lynch was a far better player than Merrett and I would imagine that most people in the football world would agree on that point. Also, given that Lynch went to the Bears, which then became the Lions after the merger with Fitzroy, you cannot expect any resentment about his departure from Fitzroy to cloud the judgment of selectors for the Hall of Fame.

Power and Akermanis were not eligible on this occasion, but will no doubt be inducted in the near future.

The point was pretty clear, I thought, as judged by the fact that you responded it in the rest of your post; a club's B&F is not always named after their best player.

Out of that lot (which is not a significantly large list as it is), I'd suggest that only Bob Skilton would be regarded as his club's best player and possibly John Nicholls as well.

I'm not convinced at all by your argument.

Very rarely, and usually only on occasions when it is a special tribute to someone, such as to P.Crimmins of Hawthorn being given a tribute due to his untimely, early death.

I don't think anyone is doubting the contribution of R.Merrett, however, whether or not is as good or as important as other players seems to be the point. The selectors and many other people on these boards (for what it's worth) think that other players were better or more important to warrant induction into the inaugural Hall of Fame.

Pretty hard to argue against D.Reynolds' achievements for mine. B.Hutchinson and J.Coleman would also have fair claims to being Essendon's best player, I reckon.

Lynch was a far better player than Merrett and I would imagine that most people in the football world would agree on that point. Also, given that Lynch went to the Bears, which then became the Lions after the merger with Fitzroy, you cannot expect any resentment about his departure from Fitzroy to cloud the judgment of selectors for the Hall of Fame.

Power and Akermanis were not eligible on this occasion, but will no doubt be inducted in the near future.

Not in my footy world or I would suggest most people who watched footy during the 80's especially. Unless you are talking about Lynch vs Merrett post Essendon. Sort of like comparing Voss v Williams when they played at the same time - one is at the back end of his career, the other just starting.
I'll never be convinced that Lynch was any more than a good footballer in a champion side - his contribution when the Bears / Lions were ordinary was minimal.

I would also argue that EVERY one of those B&F names would make their clubs inaugral HoF as well which you have conveniently forgotten that you said...

More importantly, a guy who will never get in the HoF but was a great clubman and a very good player during the 80's, Rossy Thornton, just was eliminated from The Amazing Race" tonight with his daughter..:(

Not in my footy world or I would suggest most people who watched footy during the 80's especially.

Not even Essendon supporters I know (and I work in Essendon amongst many life-long Bombers supporters) would regard Merrett as having been better than Lynch.

Unless you are talking about Lynch vs Merrett post Essendon. Sort of like comparing Voss v Williams when they played at the same time - one is at the back end of his career, the other just starting.

In saying that Lynch was a better player than Merrett, I was comparing them over the course of their entire careers. I would have thought that was obvious.
I'll never be convinced that Lynch was any more than a good footballer in a champion side - his contribution when the Bears / Lions were ordinary was minimal.

You seem to have some sort of bizarre personal dislike of Lynch, which is negatively colouring your appraisal of his playing achievements. I doubt there are too many people who'd regard a 300 game player who kicked over 600 goals, won a B&F and was selected as an All-Australian and also in the Tasmanian Team of the Century as being "ordinary" and merely the beneficiary of playing in a champion side.

Looking at Lynch's early years, when Fitzroy was a middle-of-the-road, or worse, team, he was a very good developing young player even when Fitzroy were a poor side, especially in 1991, when he played well, holding down fullback all season. He helped Fitzroy become quite a good side back in 1993 (a year in which he won the B&F and was selected in the AA team), before leaving for the Bears. His reemergence as a force from 2000 to 2004 was significant in helping the Lions win multiple flags.

I would also argue that EVERY one of those B&F names would make their clubs inaugral HoF as well which you have conveniently forgotten that you said...

So have they all made their club's inaugural Hall of Fame or not? Or are you just going to surmise without actually checking? Moreover, how many of the current AFL teams who have a Hall of Fame had their namesake of the B&F award inducted into their inaugural Hall of Fame? At any rate, it still won't change my opinion about R.Merrett, so it's all pretty much a moot point, I'm afraid.

So, how about you hold off on the antagonism. I haven't "conveniently forgotten" anything. I don't, and will not, agree with your point about Merrett's non-inclusion in the Lions inaugural Hall of Fame. Simple.

You seem to want to turn your bizarre obsession with Merrett's non-inclusion in the inaugural Hall of Fame into some convoluted argument in which you've applied a splattergun approach and thoroughly been rebutted. Might be time to move on, mate. Back to the GC bored.

dead+horse.gif

We'll agree to disagree then about Merrett vs Lynch as players. To my mind you answered it yourself - Lynch, in his whole career, played maybe 4-5 years of good footy - thats approx 120 games out of 300... lets add a few more in just because and you end up with 50% of his career being better than average with the one or 2 years in there where he was in the top 15% Not sure that constitutes anything more than a servicable footballer with some durability in the end:confused:. Merrett, once he was established as a senior footballer, barely played a poor season and was rated as the best CHF in the comp in 1985 and by many as the Leagues MVP mid 80's for his impact and importance to the EFC. Was quite close to Sheedy's favourite player (and one of my most hated when he destroyed us physically in the '83 1st semi).
Not sure disliking Lynch is bizarre either if you are an old Fitzroy supporter- in fact think its quite rational.

Here we go...

dead+horse.gif

I don't know who's getting more punishment here, the horse or "smy"...

We'll agree to disagree then about Merrett vs Lynch as players. To my mind you answered it yourself - Lynch, in his whole career, played maybe 4-5 years of good footy - thats approx 120 games out of 300... lets add a few more in just because and you end up with 50% of his career being better than average with the one or 2 years in there where he was in the top 15% Not sure that constitutes anything more than a servicable footballer with some durability in the end:confused:.

Hmm. All of your watching of Charlie Dixon must have warped the mathematical capacities of your mind beyond recompense. Here, let me give you a hand:
  • Lynch's 6 years at Fitzroy from 1988 to 1993 could all be considered very good years as he developed himself into one of the best players in the competition by 1993
  • Lynch's year in 1996 at the Bears could be considered a very good year
  • In the years from 2000 to 2004 Lynch reemerged as a powerhouse full-forward; one of the best in the competition
  • The other years in which Lynch was not so good, he either struggled with injury or CFS - hardly his fault, and in fact, his ability to overcome these issues and still be a great player only further enhances his status
So, that adds up to 12 very good years, and a number of years on top of that in which Lynch battled through injury and CFS. With so many good years, no wonder he managed over 300 games, over 600 goals, a B&F, multiple leading goal-kicker awards at club level (x6) , All-Australian selection, 3 Premiership medals and selection in the Tasmanian Team of the Century.
But then again, due to your perverse dislike of Lynch (what didn't he sign your Scanlon's footy card?), which has blinded you to his on-field achievements, you seem unable to rationally recognise that this record is better than R.Merrett's.

At the end of the day, do you seriously think that the Lions would have selected sub-standard Hall of Fame members on purpose and left out more deserving candidates so as to sabotage the entire event and leave it open to rational criticism?

It's a suggestion that ranks as "ludicrous", in my opinion.

Merrett, once he was established as a senior footballer, barely played a poor season and was rated as the best CHF in the comp in 1985 and by many as the Leagues MVP mid 80's for his impact and importance to the EFC. Was quite close to Sheedy's favourite player (and one of my most hated when he destroyed us physically in the '83 1st semi).

Hmm. So are you saying that Merrett should be included in the Brisbane Lions Hall of Fame based largely on his efforts at Essendon? That does not compute, my friend!

Not sure disliking Lynch is bizarre either if you are an old Fitzroy supporter- in fact think its quite rational.

You might need to get over it, mate, as clearly it's clouding your actual judgment of what happens on the field. Clearly you are saying that your dislike of Lynch due to his departure from Fitzroy is the main reason why you think he shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame, overlooking his playing achievements in favour of a another player who was less deserving for the inaugural selection.

Either that, or this thread has exposed the reason as to why GC are a good team for you to support, because clearly good football is wasted on you! :D

I'll also point out that your posts have been anything but rational, just so that you don't delude yourself into making further embarrassing comments on the issue. :)

Here we go...

dead+horse.gif

I don't know who's getting more punishment here, the horse or "smy"...

Hmm. All of your watching of Charlie Dixon must have warped the mathematical capacities of your mind beyond recompense. Here, let me give you a hand:
  • Lynch's 6 years at Fitzroy from 1988 to 1993 could all be considered very good years as he developed himself into one of the best players in the competition by 1993
  • Lynch's year in 1996 at the Bears could be considered a very good year
  • In the years from 2000 to 2004 Lynch reemerged as a powerhouse full-forward; one of the best in the competition
  • The other years in which Lynch was not so good, he either struggled with injury or CFS - hardly his fault, and in fact, his ability to overcome these issues and still be a great player only further enhances his status
So, that adds up to 12very good years, and a number of years on top of that in which Lynch battled through injury and CFS. With so many good years, no wonder he managed over 300 games, over 600 goals, a B&F, multiple leading goal-kicker awards at club level (x6) , All-Australian selection, 3 Premiership medals and selection in the Tasmanian Team of the Century.

But then again, due to your perverse dislike of Lynch (what didn't he sign your Scanlon's footy card?), which has blinded you to his on-field achievements, you seem unable to rationally recognise that this record is better than R.Merrett's.

At the end of the day, do you seriously think that the Lions would have selected sub-standard Hall of Fame members on purpose and left out more deserving candidates so as to sabotage the entire event and leave it open to rational criticism?

It's a suggestion that ranks as "ludicrous", in my opinion.

Hmm. So are you saying that Merrett should be included in the Brisbane Lions Hall of Fame based largely on his efforts at Essendon? That does not compute, my friend!

You might need to get over it, mate, as clearly it's clouding your actual judgment of what happens on the field. Clearly you are saying that your dislike of Lynch due to his departure from Fitzroy is the main reason why you think he shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame, overlooking his playing achievements in favour of a another player who was less deserving for the inaugural selection.

Either that, or this thread has exposed the reason as to why GC are a good team for you to support, because clearly good football is wasted on you! :D

I'll also point out that your posts have been anything but rational, just so that you don't delude yourself into making further embarrassing comments on the issue. :)

No - of course noone chose sub standard HoF members on purpose - thats just a daft thing to say. BUT, hopefully you might realise that not everyone has to agree with who actually made the list, as happens in 100% of all HoF lists football teams over. Thats why it is called debate. You seem to be pretty sensitive about it all.. I just happen to think that a bloke like Merrett who was the heart and soul of the Bears in his time there deserves to be in. Like you have said he will in all likelihood get a gig in due course but i would have put him in there from Day 1. Put Lynch in later if you like??

Your summary of Lynch's career is very generous IMO, especially his early years. Reckon i probably watched him just as much as you in those early years and he was a good footballer, nothing better nothing worse, certainly in our best 4 or 5 footballers but then we were not exactly a smashing team.
You were the one who asked me to compare Merrett's career from his Essendon days, now you want me to look just at his Bears years - which is it??
So we will make excuses for injuries and illness now?? On that basis can't believe John Greening never got a gig in the Pies HoF..

Anyway that horse is near dead now. Might leave it there.

Clearly nothing but a troll

Merrett's career at Essendon has absolutely **** all to do with the Lions HOF. Nor does Bernie Quinlans at Footscray, they are being judged on what they achieved at the 3 clubs.

Even if you added his career at Essendon (why you would, I still don't know) Lynch is far superior in every aspect. No doubt you will be equally pissed off when he gets admitted into the AFL HOF.

No - of course noone chose sub standard HoF members on purpose - thats just a daft thing to say.

Well, that is essentially what you have been saying...

BUT, hopefully you might realise that not everyone has to agree with who actually made the list, as happens in 100% of all HoF lists football teams over. Thats why it is called debate. You seem to be pretty sensitive about it all.. I just happen to think that a bloke like Merrett who was the heart and soul of the Bears in his time there deserves to be in. Like you have said he will in all likelihood get a gig in due course but i would have put him in there from Day 1. Put Lynch in later if you like??

It seems like Lynch getting in ahead of Merrett has touched a nerve with you. So much so that you've been posting non-stop in this thread!

It seems to me that your antagonism is largely due to Lynch's departure from Fitzroy at the end of 1993. I was bitterly disappointed with Lynch's departure at the end of 1993, however, no less so than when other players such as Roos, Osborne, Lyon and various others also departed. Looking at Fitzroy's history, there are in fact quite a lot of club greats who left to go elsewhere for various reasons, including H.Bunton, J.Muprhy, W.Irwin and even K.Murray. Lynch's possibly had the biggest negative impact, however, it was also compounded by the departure/loss of others such as Pert, Kappler, Osborne, Broderick, Gale, Roos and Lyon around the same time. At any rate, despite the bitter disappointment, which lingered for many years, it's not something that I hold against Lynch or let it cloud my perception of his on-field achievements (and the same goes for any of the other players mentioned).

Your summary of Lynch's career is very generous IMO, especially his early years. Reckon i probably watched him just as much as you in those early years and he was a good footballer, nothing better nothing worse, certainly in our best 4 or 5 footballers but then we were not exactly a smashing team.

I think the following achievements speak for themselves:
  • All-Australian
  • Best and Fairest Winner
  • 3x Premiership Player
  • 6x Club Leading Goal-Kicker
  • 300+ games
  • 600+ goals
Not too many players have those sorts of figures. They clearly represent the achievements of an outstanding player. No wonder he has been selected in the Fitzroy and Tasmanian Teams of the Century as well as being an inaugural inductee into the Lions Hall of Fame.

You were the one who asked me to compare Merrett's career from his Essendon days, now you want me to look just at his Bears years - which is it??

I didn't ask you to look at Merrett's career at Essendon. I did say that Lynch had the better career overall and also pointed out that whatever Merrett did at Essendon would not qualify him for the Lions Hall of Fame. Pretty straightforward points to follow, I would have thought, but obviously you've confused yourself somewhere along the way.

So we will make excuses for injuries and illness now??

What excuses need to be made for a 300+ game, 600+ goal, Triple-Premiership winning, All-Australian, Best and Fairest Winner, six-time club leading goal kicker who was also selected in the Fitzory and Tasmanian Teams of the Century?

On that basis can't believe John Greening never got a gig in the Pies HoF..

Does he have the same career achievements as Lynch? Pretty strange comparison, if you ask me, unless of course it was merely a troll...

Anyway that horse is near dead now. Might leave it there.

LOL!

Clearly nothing but a troll

Merrett's career at Essendon has absolutely **** all to do with the Lions HOF. Nor does Bernie Quinlans at Footscray, they are being judged on what they achieved at the 3 clubs.

Even if you added his career at Essendon (why you would, I still don't know) Lynch is far superior in every aspect. No doubt you will be equally pissed off when he gets admitted into the AFL HOF.

Why? bc I don't agree with your own and Stocka's assessment of Lynch's career?? We can all sit here and give each other a big hug about the old days or we can debate it. Have a fair bit of insight into a number of things that lead to the demise of the old Fitzroy and Stocka, Lynch's departure was a fairly large catalyst. You are probably right, it does touch a nerve. Appreciate it is a Bears/Lions/Fitzroy HoF but if you want a bigger debate then we can talk about the merits of Lynch making the Fitzroy ToC!! His performance bn 88-93 was nowhere near that good! Hope you didn't have a say in that side FFS!!

Why? bc I don't agree with your own and Stocka's assessment of Lynch's career?? We can all sit here and give each other a big hug about the old days or we can debate it. Have a fair bit of insight into a number of things that lead to the demise of the old Fitzroy and Stocka, Lynch's departure was a fairly large catalyst. You are probably right, it does touch a nerve. Appreciate it is a Bears/Lions/Fitzroy HoF but if you want a bigger debate then we can talk about the merits of Lynch making the Fitzroy ToC!! His performance bn 88-93 was nowhere near that good! Hope you didn't have a say in that side FFS!!

Just relax, Rumplestiltskin. Your floorboards can only take so much.

Personally, I probably would have had J.Freake in ahead of A.Lynch in terms of purely Fitzroy achievements. There are some people who think D.McMahon was a bit unlucky not to have made it and I reckon others such as E.Hart and some of the players from the early decades of Fitzroy's history had fair claims to spots as well.

But then again, I know of Fitzroy supporters, some of who are even on here, who supported Fitzroy much longer than I, who reckon that A.Lynch's 1993 season was the best season by any Fitzroy player they ever saw. I also know of people who think that other players may have been "lucky" to have been selected in the TOC ahead of others who missed out. I guess one of the things that can make selection tricky is trying to choose a side based around positions, rather than just the best 22 players to have played for the club. I guess that's where the HOF can offer a greater variety of recognition.

Mind you, I was a bit surprised at the time that there was a 6-player bench for the TOC, given that back in 2001, there were four players on the bench, and three emergencies. I don't know where they plucked the 6-player bench from. It would have made more sense at the time to have either four or seven.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back