Remove this Banner Ad

Killer Hawks

Rookie
Aug 24, 2009
australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This is a question for observers who see a lot of Box Hill

Both these boys were recruited mid to late draft with speculative picks.

Hallahan has had his fair share of injuries in 2011 ,12

2013 Hallahan wins the Liston
2014 Hallahan plays 6 AFL games

Woodward
2012 +2013 Knee reco's
2014 plays 2 AFL games ( as sub)
2014 wins Liston

I see them as very similar footballers , good skills, both find plenty of the ball, both not overly quick
Hallahan looks to be a longer kick.

Ok so my question is

With all the talk of trading Hallahan why isn't Woodward mentioned in the same breath

I thought Hallahan would be a better option to keep as he has sound knees as compared to a guy with 2 knee reco's behind him.

Thanks

I would suggest Hallahan is a slightly better kick, but Woodward has a better tank. Woodward is seen to have great leadership abilities as well. Hallahan is a taller midfielder than Woodward.

I believe both are contracted so the only reason the Hawks would let Hallahan go is because they feel they can get something for him and they have to let 2 people go in order to clear the needed amount of spaces before the draft.

I would suggest Hallahan is a slightly better kick, but Woodward has a better tank. Woodward is seen to have great leadership abilities as well. Hallahan is a taller midfielder than Woodward.

I believe both are contracted so the only reason the Hawks would let Hallahan go is because they feel they can get something for him and they have to let 2 people go in order to clear the needed amount of spaces before the draft.

Surely Grimley will be one.

Looks like Hallahan, Lowden or Schoey is the other.

My gut tells me that woody is going to be the better inside player similar ( ish) to Mitchell - who's spot he ultimately will be trying to take.
I think hawthorn agree- hence they are maneuvering things into a position ( by not shutting talks down completely) where Gold Coast can have a crack at hallahan

Boxer has done OK this year but I expected more given his 2013 season. Woody clearly has more potential due to his circumstances and the last half of this year Woody was compelling. Boxer is bigger, stronger, easily the better kick and can kick goals regularly. 13 clearances in the GF so Boxer can play. Woody is the ultimate ball magnet.

Boxer has a pretty good AFL record. I would not part with him lightly. Head to head I'd pick Woody.

Both can be decent 100 game players, but the game is getting faster and Hallahan lacks pace.
Woody is Brad Sewell all over again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with most Woody seems to have a bit more zip out of traffic where Boxer seems to be a genuine plodder when it comes to leg speed. Hallahan better disposal at this point, but I think Woody improved a lot this year in that area..

Went to look at the stats at VFL level [Ed: 2014], Hallahan averages 23 touches at 65% disposal efficiency from 14 matches. Woodward is at 24 disposals, 68%DE (omitted the game he was injured in and got 2 touches) from 15 games. Other comparisons: Simpkin 5 games, 25disp @70%DE and Ross 15 games, 17 disp @68%DE.

I wouldn't want to lose Hallahan, but if we can get a good pick for him since he's contracted then I'd be content with the trade.

Head to head Id pick Woodward at this stage. Goes is hard, always the the bottom of the pack and constantly gets contested possessions. His disposal efficiency is vastly improved, and coming back from not one but two ACL injuries to reach the point he is at now still astonishes me. The fact that he got picked for a Senior game later in the year rather than Hallahan probably speaks volumes about the two of them when at full fitness. Woody's probably a bit faster aswell.

Hallahan's a goal kicker and has monster brute strength. He always seemed to be in the bottom of packs when he was playing in the Seniors-but the thing is, we needed him to break those packs. This may come in time, or it may not. His disposal efficiency is already elite, and whenever he kicks at goal he seems calm and composed. He's not fast though-and breaking the lines gets harder and harder with brute strength every year as football turns into a game of speed and endurance.

I honestly think that had we not gotten O'Rourke we'd probably have kept Hallahan, but we feel as though O'Rourke does the same role but fits the role better than Hallahan as Football evolves.

But that's not the point. Woodward or Hallahan? Woodward. But I pray to God that if we do trade Hallahan, he doesn't prove me wrong and turn into another Josh Kennedy.

If Woodward hadn't done his knee(s), he would be a regular in the senior side by now. He was on track to get games in his first season. Put it this way, Woodward is matching Hallahan's performances despite having two less pre-seasons.

If Woodward hadn't done his knee(s), he would be a regular in the senior side by now. He was on track to get games in his first season. Put it this way, Woodward is matching Hallahan's performances despite having two less pre-seasons.
Hallahan was able to better replicate his performances in the VFL at AFL level. Not saying that will continue to be the case but on exposed form at Senior level Hallahan has been much better.

True, especially considering he played his games in the depths of our injury crisis. However given Woodward is effectively 2 pre seasons behind Hallahan, that doesn't surprise me.

This is a question for observers who see a lot of Box Hill

Both these boys were recruited mid to late draft with speculative picks.

Hallahan has had his fair share of injuries in 2011 ,12

2013 Hallahan wins the Liston
2014 Hallahan plays 6 AFL games

Woodward
2012 +2013 Knee reco's
2014 plays 2 AFL games ( as sub)
2014 wins Liston

I see them as very similar footballers , good skills, both find plenty of the ball, both not overly quick
Hallahan looks to be a longer kick.

Ok so my question is

With all the talk of trading Hallahan why isn't Woodward mentioned in the same breath

I thought Hallahan would be a better option to keep as he has sound knees as compared to a guy with 2 knee reco's behind him.

Thanks
Because Hallahan is interested in move and woodward isn't

Considering we have seen so little from both of these guys at senior level, it is impossible to judge who will be better.

That is why you should hold onto both, it is unlikely that both will turn into stars. But there would be nothing worse then putting all your eggs in the Woodward basket, then Hallahan goes to GC for peanuts and becomes a star, whilst Woodward struggles or does his knee again.

One of these guys will be required to come into the middle in the next few years. We just don't know which one yet.

Whilst I have to trust our football department (who get it right far more often than they don't), I really would prefer we kept Hallahan. We seem as a club to be moving away from slower, contested ball players and more and more into outside pace. It seems the club view this is where the game is heading. I have read (note: media) that Hallahan did say he wanted to stay but was informed that opportnities are going to be limited, particularly with O'Rourke added. I understand that our stars haven't retired, Langford has gone past and Woody may also be ahead but I feel Hallahan is lower in the pecking order than he should be. Others, including Langers, got call ups before him despite him being the best performed of the three at VFL level at the time. He also started well at AFL level. I'm not sure whether it means anything at all but it took Brendan Bolton being in charge before he got (an almost immediate) call up. Either way, I don't want to put all our eggs in the Woody basket. I don't want to end up with too many quick outside players and have too few in the contest to win the ball. I think there will remain more than 1 place in every AFL side for slow players who can win the footy. I have a sneaking suspicion that in a few years we may look at Hallahan and think this is a player we could really use ala Josh Kennedy (but not as good). Hope I'm wrong - or that we retain him, particularly as I think we will get less than his full value.

I would like to see more of Woodward in an AFL environment. As Brishawk said it seems that Hallahan is comfortable at AFL level. Woodward's played two games, both as the sub. I would like to see him play a full game. All the better to see him doing what he does best - getting in and under.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hallahan v Woodward

Remove this Banner Ad

Back