Hallahan v Woodward

Remove this Banner Ad

Whilst I have to trust our football department (who get it right far more often than they don't), I really would prefer we kept Hallahan. We seem as a club to be moving away from slower, contested ball players and more and more into outside pace. It seems the club view this is where the game is heading. I have read (note: media) that Hallahan did say he wanted to stay but was informed that opportnities are going to be limited, particularly with O'Rourke added. I understand that our stars haven't retired, Langford has gone past and Woody may also be ahead but I feel Hallahan is lower in the pecking order than he should be. Others, including Langers, got call ups before him despite him being the best performed of the three at VFL level at the time. He also started well at AFL level. I'm not sure whether it means anything at all but it took Brendan Bolton being in charge before he got (an almost immediate) call up. Either way, I don't want to put all our eggs in the Woody basket. I don't want to end up with too many quick outside players and have too few in the contest to win the ball. I think there will remain more than 1 place in every AFL side for slow players who can win the footy. I have a sneaking suspicion that in a few years we may look at Hallahan and think this is a player we could really use ala Josh Kennedy (but not as good). Hope I'm wrong - or that we retain him, particularly as I think we will get less than his full value.

I don't see why O'Rourke automatically goes past Hallahan either?Get into pre season and whoever puts their hand up and shows the hunger to break into a premiership side gets first crack.

I don't see why O'Rourke automatically goes past Hallahan either?Get into pre season and whoever puts their hand up and shows the hunger to break into a premiership side gets first crack.

Absolutely. Besides, they are completely different midfielders. Hallahan is purely an inside player and O'Rourke mostly outside.

While I like the look of woodward, his knees concern me.

Hallahan, I really liked his work when he was in the side this year, I think he has a lot to offer.

I'd rank Woody slightly higher than Hallahan. Both can improve, but I like the grunt and go get 'em attitude that Woody has, similar in respects to Langers.

I Agree..From what I've seen this year by the two, I'd myself would have Woodward just in frond of Hallahan especially by the way he was playing towards the end of the year, coming back after two ACL knee injuries and wining the JJ Liston Trophy medal, it wasn’t until the end of the year that he made his run as a ferocious-tackling, nose-of-the-ball midfielder polled votes in nine of his 13 matches to finish on 20 and win by three... He clinched the JJ LT medal with a best-afield performance in the final round..With a big preseason under his belt, he and a few others would be fighting for a senior selection..I cant wait for 2015..Go Hawks!

082404-861dc33a-3250-11e4-9d72-88f02c637c5d.jpg

Alex Woodward, playing for Hawthorn, gets mobbed by a pack of Lions in the NAB Challenge earlier this year.

While I like the look of woodward, his knees concern me.

Hallahan, I really liked his work when he was in the side this year, I think he has a lot to offer.
Remember, Woodward has done one knee, twice. The graft failed, it was not another injury.

Hallahan is significantly ahead of Woody based upon their AFL performances.

Hallahan has shown his game translates effectively into the next level up in terms of ball winning. He reads the ball very well and has a very good knack of getting to the right spot at the right time - time and time again. His kicking is pretty good and penetrating. His handballing is what needs improving particularly in terms of getting his hands out away from his body when in close and this was evident when he played at AFL level - a few times he was not effective at being able to release a handball when tackled. He keeps his feet regularly. He is a strong body and a good tackler and effective at fighting to win the contested ball in close. He has shown he can play across half-forward and kicks goals. Really he is a Jordan Lewis clone. And like Jordan the challenge is to get fit enough to be able to two way run at the top level. The only way Mitch will be able to do this is by playing at AFL level for 2-3 seasons. Given his ball winning and goal kicking ability his strengths outweigh his negatives at this stage and I can only see his negatives diminishing.

Woody carves them up at VFL level because his effort is at a level above most of the other VFL players. His intensity, desperation, courage and will to run is incredible. He is a bit like Crawford in this respect. Woody does a lot of his good work at VFL level on his hands and knees. He is on his hands and knees hunting the ball a LOT. This is something he needs to get out of his game as when the ball is there to be taken at AFL level it is gone very very quickly and if you dont have it you are chasing ass very quickly. And when you are on the deck you are no good to anyone - pretty hard to receive, spread or chase. Disposal wise I am yet to make my mind up about whether he lacks polish at times or is still a bit rusty having missed a fair whack of football. Woody's performances at AFL level - whilst only limited - were a touch down on what I was expecting. His game didnt quite translate as anticipated. I thought he would find it easier as he didnt have to try and do everything himself (such is his attitude) and would get a bit more easy ball with better players around him but he didnt appear to adjust his mindset and his advantage in the VFL of superior effort was taken away by being at a higher level. Hallahan definately fitted in more seamlessly because of his ability to run to the right spot - he is perhaps the smarter player of the two.

They are both very good propositions - I would be disappointed to lose Mitch and I wouldnt be trading him out. They are quite different players as Mitch is a ball reader and can be both first dibs or run to receive and deliver (not carry). Whereas Woody is a see ball, get ball wrecking ball who can hit a contest at pace like a Crawf and carry the thing away.

Some nice highlights of Woodward on the website.

Hard to know who he replaces but will definitely get more games next year.

I'm a hallahan man myself but there no doubting that Woodward also has what it takes to be a regular but I would take hartung and Anderson over both of them

I'm not sure whether it means anything at all but it took Brendan Bolton being in charge before he got (an almost immediate) call up.

I wondered about that, he seemed keener on Litherland too, Lowden got his debut and also he dropped Langford.

Might all mean nothing but it was interesting nonetheless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's an embarrassment of riches for Hawthorn really. Not much we can do about it unfortunately.

Mitch would most likely be a walk up start in most other sides, however due to Hawthorn's midfield he just doesn't get an opportunity. It's not Hawthorn's fault, and it's not Mitch's fault either. It's just the way it is.

Now to trade him away for "unders" - we don't have much of a choice here either. Mitch is a good player, but has only played a handful at the top level. Gold Coast's argument would be that he can't be worth anything higher than that - if he was worth more, then he'd be getting a regular game for us and would therefore not be looking elsewhere for more opportunities. If we leave it another year, and he plays another 5-10 games in 2015, then we could potentially lose him for nothing via Free Agency in 2015 should he still be wanting more opportunity.

It's a difficult situation but I really hope Mitch has a successful career at the Gold Coast. He's done the hard yards and deserves an extended run at the top level.

I assume the Coast may be paying out his year contract?

It was probably the safe choice to trade him for picks, we could have lost him in free agency. And it's not like there's a dearth of inside midfielders we won't be able to draft or sign in the next few years while we eagerly wait for our best midfielders to retire so we can finally decline (?). And Woodward isn't far off him, if he isn't quite as AFL ready. I do really rate Hallahan though.

I think Roger Rogerson sums it up very well. I wasn't too sure about Hallahan after his 6 AFL games because although he knew how to get to the right spot and extract the ball I thought he struggled with the pace. After seeing him in the VFL grand final he did remind me a bit of Lewis in that he seems to lurk around the arena by stealth and puts himself in the right spot. Having said that I thought Woodward was also a clear standout and certainly doesn't lack the pace. Another issue for Hallahan has been the emergence of Langford. Anyway, it will be interesting to see how things pan out over the future but best of luck to him. Pretty clear the club didn't want to let him go (cheaply at least) because the final agreed trade was known for some time and I don't think the club wanted to begrudge him a 3 year deal which I am sure will pay him well. Good on them for that.

Losing Hallahan brings the tone of this off-season down for us a bit I reckon. Was going swimmingly til then. Can't have it absolutely all our own way I suppose...

Losing Hallahan brings the tone of this off-season down for us a bit I reckon. Was going swimmingly til then. Can't have it absolutely all our own way I suppose...

Good player, will get more opportunity at GC. No real loss for mine and happy to see the kid get an opportunity.

Let's not build him up to more than he is. There are plenty of players around who are just as good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hallahan v Woodward

Remove this Banner Ad

Back