NO TROLLS Hamish Brayshaw - Open Letter to the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

We're in an awkward transition period to a sport that has very little to no physical contact.

Unless the AFL creates a sport that is safe to play at all levels they'll continue losing kids to other sports and it's entire future will be at risk. Purists won't like it.. but I genuinely don't think the AFL has any other choice.

We already have recruiters concerned about the lack of talent in pipeline to support the current system let alone a 19th team. Reality is participation rates are WAY down at all junior levels and many parents do not want their kids playing AFL.

My son has had his 5th concussion yesterday in just over a season of under 9's footy. Five kids left the game yesterday with concussions. I know for a fact that more than half of his team won't go on to under 12's.

And at the same time the AFL is up to its eyeballs in lawsuits from former players dealing with post career brain trauma thats likely to lead to hundreds of millions of dollars worth of compensation payments.

Change is coming. Many won't like the new product - but there's no viable future for the AFL unless it evolves.
I played from the age of 6 til about 22. I never was concussed once.

I was a key forward pretty much all of that time, and possibly wasn't as hard as I could have been at the contest if I didn't think there was a goal in it for me - but aside from the odd whack to the back of head from goonish defenders I just never copped anything close to head trauma.

I only ever knew one kid that had to give footy away as a junior because he had several concussions.

For whatever reason, it was just never really an issue 20-30 years ago.

Obviously the sample size is extremely small, but in the past few years the number of high school kids signing up for Australian rules football is dwindling especially compared to soccer.

In the lightning carnival for a high school just last week, only 30 signed up for AFL (whole contingent is about 500) while 150 signed up for soccer. As recently as maybe ten years ago those two numbers would have been swapped around. Roughly 100 signed up for basketball which also indicates a trend there perhaps towards less physical contact sports.

I say 'perhaps' because it may also be attributed to the rise of internet streaming and greater penetration into Australia of traditionally overseas sports like soccer and basketball.

Where the hell is your son playing? Both my boys have played since they were 6 and are now adults playing at state league level. One concussion between the 2 of them. I have coached for 11 seasons and for memory have had 6 concussions total across that period. My younger brother is coaching under 9’s in WA and I just texted him ‘how many concussions have you had this season?’ His response was: ‘LOL none, it’s under 9s FFS’

I agree that concussion protection is important, but it sounds like something is seriously, seriously wrong in your junior competition if you are having that volume of concussions at under 9s.
Probably an issue if you’re getting concussed as a coach

100% nailed how ambiguous the AFL rules are and how inconsistent football acts are reviewed/adjudicated. It’s a joke

Obviously the sample size is extremely small, but in the past few years the number of high school kids signing up for Australian rules football is dwindling especially compared to soccer.

In the lightning carnival for a high school just last week, only 30 signed up for AFL (whole contingent is about 500) while 150 signed up for soccer. As recently as maybe ten years ago those two numbers would have been swapped around. Roughly 100 signed up for basketball which also indicates a trend there perhaps towards less physical contact sports.

I say 'perhaps' because it may also be attributed to the rise of internet streaming and greater penetration into Australia of traditionally overseas sports like soccer and basketball.

If parents are perceiving soccer as 'safer' than afl that would be greatly ironic given that sport is doing nothing to change headers and thats a greater concussion risk than half the stuff in the afl.

We're in an awkward transition period to a sport that has very little to no physical contact.

Unless the AFL creates a sport that is safe to play at all levels they'll continue losing kids to other sports and it's entire future will be at risk. Purists won't like it.. but I genuinely don't think the AFL has any other choice.

We already have recruiters concerned about the lack of talent in pipeline to support the current system let alone a 19th team. Reality is participation rates are WAY down at all junior levels and many parents do not want their kids playing AFL.

My son has had his 5th concussion yesterday in just over a season of under 9's footy. Five kids left the game yesterday with concussions. I know for a fact that more than half of his team won't go on to under 12's.

And at the same time the AFL is up to its eyeballs in lawsuits from former players dealing with post career brain trauma thats likely to lead to hundreds of millions of dollars worth of compensation payments.

Change is coming. Many won't like the new product - but there's no viable future for the AFL unless it evolves.
Isn't under 9's non tackling and mandatory helmets? Are they playing grown men?

Isn't under 9's non tackling and mandatory helmets? Are they playing grown men?
Most 8 and 9 year olds are clumsy and lack awareness of others around them on the field during games.

Head clashes are common as they run into each other a lot. They don’t brace for impact with arms like they learn to do by 11-12.

10 year junior coach from 6s up…me

Most 8 and 9 year olds are clumsy and lack awareness of others around them on the field during games.

Head clashes are common as they run into each other a lot.

10 year junior coach from 6s up…me
Fair enough, appreciate the insight.
Not sure how you're supposed to get around that if you're the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You’ve let your kid keep playing after two concussions? At U/9 level?

Wow

No helmets. A lot of tackling.

Multiple kids with head injuries each week.

Sounds like you need to find a new league. I’m actually at my youngest son’s junior club now at a fundraiser and I just chatted to the junior vice president. They have not had one concussion below under 14’s this season.

Fair enough, appreciate the insight.
Not sure how you're supposed to get around that if you're the AFL.
It’s tricky. I coached a junior side that were full of young kids who were naturally aggressive and quickly adapted to the changes in rules with tackling as the age group progressed.

And loads of unfortunate opponents with weaker sides copped a battering with many many injuries and head knocks. I saw a lot.

Only once in ten years did I see one of my boys get a head knock that ended up in trouble.

He was basically my best player..tough as nails kid since he was 6 years old. But one match in 13s he was jogging down the wing and he dropped like a stone and face planted into the turf out cold from
a delayed concussion previously in the qrt.
I thought he was dead. Scariest thing in my entire 50 odd years living.
He woke up and ambulance was called..and he was ok after 3 weeks.
But this was 2005 to 2015 years. Awhile back now.

I’d guess that Auskick and junior footy has changed by nowadays.

It’s a brutal game no matter how you try to minimise head clashes. Blokes running from all 360 degree angles to win a ball.

Hits happen.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

NO TROLLS Hamish Brayshaw - Open Letter to the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back