Hammer Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Not good news. We've reached the tip of the iceberg though... prepare for the post-Olympics influx of Aussies into the league.

Originally posted by noogie_da_sheep
now every Aussie will get his chance to sit at the end of an NBA bench:p

Au contraire... this will be a privilege Andrew Bogut will give to selected American players.

Heal Says He Enjoyed Time with Spurs
http://www.woai.com/spurs/story.aspx?content_id=9B20F34F-99D5-4996-B58F-60DB1F4A968B

Shane Heal was signed by the Spurs during the pre-season when starting guard Tony Parker and his back-up Anthony Carter were both placed on the injured list, but his contract was non-guaranteed, meaning he could be cut at any time. That cut finally came.

Heal is not unhappy about having been waived by the Spurs yesterday, especially since he had originally been told it was unlikely he would survive the pre-season.

"It was always a one in a hundred chance my contract would extend beyond (Parker and Carter's return) and I was always realistic I'd be at the Spurs for a short period," Heal said.

"During my first week in San Antonio I was told I may not even see the first regular season game, so it was pleasing to stick for as long as I did."

Heal, who played with Minnesota in the 1996-97 NBA season, remains thrilled by the opportunities he received over the past six weeks.

"Having had the opportunity to play with one of the all-time NBA greats in Tim Duncan, to lead the team in scoring against the Hornets, to contribute double figures off the bench in our win against New York, and to hit some shots against the LA Lakers in a double overtime game are experiences I'll never forget," Heal said.

"Without doubt I consider the past six weeks among the most enjoyable experiences I have had in the game. I would never have thought that this was possible when I retired from the NBL six months ago."

"Playing and practicing against the world's best has been an unbelievable start to my Olympic preparations, and I feel good knowing that I can contribute in the world's best basketball league."

So Heal stays in third all time on Australian scoring in the NBA with his second stint in the NBA.

Longley is the all time leader of course with 4,090 career points. Anstey sits in second with 813 points in 155 games. Heal was in third going in with 75 points from 46 games in his first stint with the T-Wolves. Throw another 22 points from 6 games with the Spurs for a total of 97!

Bradtke had 59 points in 39 games and is 4th. Gaze managed just 43 total points in his 26 game career and I think is in 5th. Unless im forgetting someone.

Anyone?

Originally posted by jod23
So Heal stays in third all time on Australian scoring in the NBA with his second stint in the NBA.

Longley is the all time leader of course with 4,090 career points. Anstey sits in second with 813 points in 155 games. Heal was in third going in with 75 points from 46 games in his first stint with the T-Wolves. Throw another 22 points from 6 games with the Spurs for a total of 97!

Bradtke had 59 points in 39 games and is 4th. Gaze managed just 43 total points in his 26 game career and I think is in 5th. Unless im forgetting someone.

Anyone?

I think I finished equal 6th on zero.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by rockdog
Surely Shane Heal could get on another roster on a weaker team if he wanted to, does everybody agree?

he was lucky to get on the spurs roster (brett brown)...

i'd love to see him sign and have another shot with a different team....

but based on his regular season performances..
and his age..

probably not..

Anyone?

did paul rodgers manage to some points?

Grace, despite being an Australian citizen, was born in America. Besides, I believe he only played about 3 games for the Hawks in which he managed 4 points IIRC.

Yes, yes, I know his history. You're not exactly preaching to the unknown.

Who else is in 5th place then?

www.theaustralian.news.co...69,00.html

SHANE Heal will fly out of Sydney tonight to join Greek first division team Makedonikos BC following a clandestine deal to set up the sacking of the club's American point guard, making room for the veteran Australian blond bomber.

Makedonikos signed Heal last week to a secret contract reportedly worth over $1million to play out the remaining half of the Greek basketball season before telling Avery William to pack his bags.

The 24-year-old American's first hint something would've been up came at the weekend when he became a late withdrawal - officially due to injury - before Makedonikos' 64-57 win over Panionios.

William, who played with NBA team the Minnesota Timberwolves from 1999 to 2002, joined Makedonikos this season after a stint with IG Strasbourg last year but his Greek club was less than impressed with his point guard skills according to Heal.

"[Makedonikos] are a great defensive team but they need someone to come in and run the show," said Heal.

"They wanted a veteran point guard who doesn't need to score all the time but can when needed.

"It's an ideal situation for me because they're not looking for me to score 25 points a game - the leading scorer in the league is only averaging 20ppg.

"They want me to come in and get them 15ppg and run the team and the team will be rapt."

Heal became available when NBA champions San Antonio released the triple Olympian a week ago after Spurs' starting point guard Tony Parker and his back-up Anthony Carter returned from injury.

The 33-year-old Australian originally had planned to play in Europe after Christmas, however, the offer from Makedonikos was too good to refuse.

"I honestly couldn't believe their offer. I nearly fell off my chair," said Heal. "I knew that New Zealand star Kirk Penny had just signed for $100,000 [US] net in Spain.

"Makedonikos are giving me over three times more than that."

On top of that the deal comes with a three-bedroom apartment and a car as a sweetener for Heal who is taking his wife Jenny and three young daughters with him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hammer Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back