Hampson could be the new Kouta???

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 7, 2008
Heathmont
AFL Club
Carlton
Does anybody remember the debut of Anthony Koutoufides? An absolute athlete, that was competing against Kyle Vanderkuyp for 110 hurdles title and possible Olympics destination? His footy skills were "ok", not elite though,but his desire to succeed saw him play the most memorable season, 2000 (and most valueable player awarded by his peers in the most one-sided vote count ever, think he was the only player that did not vote for him..lol) was his year leading the brownlow come round 20, when that piece of shit Jason Johnson jumped into him with his knees, causing the hit to do Kouta's knee.

Shaun Hampson may well be the slightly bigger version of the Koutaman, he comes from a soccer background, has tremendous athleticism, has the leap and in interviews seems very humble just like the famous No.43 was, and still is by the way. Would love to hear all of my fellow CFC supporters views on this topic. I would like to write to the club and ask them if they could possibly get Kouta down to club training, with his special project being a certain Mr. S.Hampson. Then maybe swapping his jumper 22 over to White in exchange for the No.43!

It's late, I am tired, I just watched a Koutoufides highlights tape and it just came to me.......Does anyone else out there dare to dream with me???

He has a long way to go before he resembles anything close to the great Koutafidamedies (the rex hunt variety)....but anythings possible I guess.

Certainly Can't wait to get him back into the side once fit.
I reckon a team with Kreuzer, Hampson and Jacobs will cause a lot problems for the opposition. Jacobs is starting to show he can take a contested mark and we know from hampsons limited game time that he can also take a big pack mark. Their both very young so they have time on their side to develop, hopefully we have big lance and kouta re- incarnated back into the team!

He has a long way to go before he resembles anything close to the great Koutafidamedies (the rex hunt variety)....but anythings possible I guess.

Certainly Can't wait to get him back into the side once fit.
I reckon a team with Kreuzer, Hampson and Jacobs will cause a lot problems for the opposition. Jacobs is starting to show he can take a contested mark and we know from hampsons limited game time that he can also take a big pack mark. Their both very young so they have time on their side to develop, hopefully we have big lance and kouta re- incarnated back into the team!

Interesting thoughts 1EB, Hampson does have time on his side but I do worry a little about a re-incarnation of Big Red, as the game is even faster now than ever.... Jacobs leg speed is a worry as was Lance's, but Lance got the most out of himself due to a super footy brain, does Sauce have the "smarts"?

Kouta was a elite player who had the ability to play in most positions wing, CHB, CHF, ruck, basically all over the ground, cannot see Hampson capable of basically playing these roles and reaching the level of one of our best at all.

Hampson is a developing ruckman who does not have the flexibility to play in multiple roles that Kouta did over his career, the way Jacobs is playing right now he and Warnock are going to find it difficult to get a game this year.

Big call and who knows.

Hammer is bloody quick but I question how fast he is when having to move laterally in comparison to Kouta.

Having said that we've seen Hammer baulk around far smaller men. But yes, let's first let him get some more game time.

Whilst Kouta was an athlete I think many miss how much natural footy smarts he had. His ability in close was Williams like when he was in his zone. Hampson has the athletic similarity not aware or not if he has the natural vision on a footy field that Kouta was blessed with. Will be interesting to see how he goes once fit and playing.

Kouta was a elite player who had the ability to play in most positions wing, CHB, CHF, ruck, basically all over the ground, cannot see Hampson capable of basically playing these roles and reaching the level of one of our best at all.

Hampson is a developing ruckman who does not have the flexibility to play in multiple roles that Kouta did over his career, the way Jacobs is playing right now he and Warnock are going to find it difficult to get a game this year.[/quote

Kouta was not elite at the very start, but did not take long and had less injury and more game time in a great carlton side. I did also say that Hampson might be the slighty bigger version, hence, ruckman, key forward or even wing, btw as much as I love Kouta he was not the greatest forward or set shot on goal. Thanks for your thoughts though.

Whilst Kouta was an athlete I think many miss how much natural footy smarts he had. His ability in close was Williams like when he was in his zone. Hampson has the athletic similarity not aware or not if he has the natural vision on a footy field that Kouta was blessed with. Will be interesting to see how he goes once fit and playing.

Nobody matched Williams by hand in close.... Nobody. Koutas best was a fast, leaping and damaging winger or a RR that marked everything that came his way or took it ground level with a judd burst! Interesting thoughts though, thanks for contributing to the debate.

Kouta's best 5 games would be in the top 20 best indivual peformances ever.

He was one of a kind who would have been the best of all time if he wasn't cut down by injury.

I have high hopes for hamma....not this high

Richo has trail blazed for this type of player

I'm all for Hampson playing loose on a wing and just running around

Is his tank big enough?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kouta's best 5 games would be in the top 20 best indivual best peformances ever.

He was one of a kind who would have been the best of all time if he wasn't cut down by injury.

I have high hopes for hamma....not this high

Did you seriously have hopes that Kouta would be an all time great early in his career either?

Big call and who knows.

Hammer is bloody quick but I question how fast he is when having to move laterally in comparison to Kouta.

Having said that we've seen Hammer baulk around far smaller men. But yes, let's first let him get some more game time.

Agree, have you seen Hammer's attack on the ball and willingness to use his unbelievable physique in a hard but fair and controlled manner? Kouta never intimidated like he should have...lacked mongrel.

He debuted in 1992 and by '94 I think we all knew he was going to be a special player.

Granted! But how many games did he play in that time, about 55-60? Hammer is still a fledgling in comparison at this stage, and Kouta had a great team giving him a "leg up", and Hammer is bigger and usually take just a little longer to develop. Good call though, I though he was Superman! I was only 15 in '92.

Granted! But how many games did he play in that time, about 55-60? Hammer is still a fledgling in comparison at this stage, and Kouta had a great team giving him a "leg up", and Hammer is bigger and usually take just a little longer to develop. Good call though, I though he was Superman! I was only 15 in '92.
Kouta played 36 games in his first three seasons, Hampson played 27.

Richo has trail blazed for this type of player

I'm all for Hampson playing loose on a wing and just running around

Is his tank big enough?

I believe it just might be...he is a super athlete. And he kicks it a mile on the run or set shot, and blazing down the wing at high-speed with his size, I would not want to tackle him.... Lookout for the freight train.

By how many?

Haha, will pay that! At a stab, with 27 being 75% of 36 games played, minus the interchange of four as compared to 2 then subtracting the rotations today.... the perfect match compatibility computer says... waiting.... this might take a while...I will go put the kettle on.... white with one?....lol

Haha, will pay that! At a stab, with 27 being 75% of 36 games played, minus the interchange of four as compared to 2 then subtracting the rotations today.... the perfect match compatibility computer says... waiting.... this might take a while...I will go put the kettle on.... white with one?....lol

I've just become cross-eyed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hampson could be the new Kouta???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back