breeno

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2008
borough of greens
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
werribee, north ballarat
Hey guys, I'm not sure what to make of this. I don't think I've strained my hamstring, but over the past 3-4 weeks after any form of hard excercise, the next day or even half way through I get a pinching sensation when I do an exercise involving a stretch of the hamstring (eg. kicking). It becomes a sharp pain and prevents it from anywhere near full extension.

I'm not sure if it's a strain or something like a pinched nerve, as I've never felt any "twang" whilst excercising. If it persists I'll be sure to get it checked out.

Anyone know what it could be or experienced similar? Cheers.

diagnosis - neural hamstring tightness, not actual tightness...in fact is lengthened and weak for the most part

solution - activate and strengthen your glutes...a lot...also stretch your hip flexors and quads while you're there

There are a few different things that could be going on. it could be neural tightness or an impingement of the nerve from piriformis or it could be referred pain from your hip. if it keeps bothering you go and get it checked out i reckon

There are a few different things that could be going on. it could be neural tightness or an impingement of the nerve from piriformis or it could be referred pain from your hip. if it keeps bothering you go and get it checked out i reckon

Thanks mate, I've had lower back issues from cricket before if that's any help. Also I've never really had a big sports injury, so do I go to a doc or a physio?

Thanks mate, I've had lower back issues from cricket before if that's any help. Also I've never really had a big sports injury, so do I go to a doc or a physio?

yeh the back issues definately sound like they could have contributed to this. but the prob could stem from feet problems or posture or anything really, its all connected.

i would go to a physio 1st, they tend to have a better understanding of musculo skeletal things than a gp. if you know of a decent sports doctor that would be good also, but physio should help you out

If you've had past back injuries there is a good chance (unless you have corrected it) that there is a weakness in your deep stabilisers, or "core" muscles.

These are crucial to your hamstring.

Core muscles control sacroilliac joint. Loss of SIJ control inhibits glut max. Loss of glut max overdrives hamstring and overdrives deep rotators of hip (piriformis/gemelli) which can directly or indirectly affect your sciatic nerve and neural mobility.

See a physio - make sure they test your gluts and lumbar spine pelvis mechanics and strength.

This consultation was free of charge.:D

If you've had past back injuries there is a good chance (unless you have corrected it) that there is a weakness in your deep stabilisers, or "core" muscles.

These are crucial to your hamstring.

Core muscles control sacroilliac joint. Loss of SIJ control inhibits glut max. Loss of glut max overdrives hamstring and overdrives deep rotators of hip (piriformis/gemelli) which can directly or indirectly affect your sciatic nerve and neural mobility.

See a physio - make sure they test your gluts and lumbar spine pelvis mechanics and strength.

This consultation was free of charge.:D

Haha thanks mate, so many knowledgable people on here!

hey boys just a quick one, did my hamstring on the weekend, first time ive done one so tough to tell how bad it is. basically sprinting along then fealt a pop then just had nothing extremely painfull. then couldnt walk on it afterwards. still fairly saw today sitting on it is quite sore. and was in the middle of my leg not up high. also had tightness in it all week, but didnt notice it in fitness test so got all clear.

just wanna know your thoughts, anybody done the same and how long they were out for? cheers.

hey boys just a quick one, did my hamstring on the weekend, first time ive done one so tough to tell how bad it is. basically sprinting along then fealt a pop then just had nothing extremely painfull. then couldnt walk on it afterwards. still fairly saw today sitting on it is quite sore. and was in the middle of my leg not up high. also had tightness in it all week, but didnt notice it in fitness test so got all clear.

just wanna know your thoughts, anybody done the same and how long they were out for? cheers.
Sounds like a fairly typical mid belly hamstring injury, but impossible to give a timeframe without seeing it.
Depends largely on how much damage there is and how well you look after it rehab wise.
As a rough guide (I would go and see your local physio):
Days 0-3: Bleeding and clotting
3-7: scar formation
6-12: scar contraction
10-20: new muscle cells infiltrate scar and repair is complete
14-21+: strengthening and conditioning new muscle tissue.

Times vary depending on amount of torn tissue.

thanks for that bluebear saw our club physio monday night reckons i did a pretty good job on it, did a few movement tests and reckons four weeks!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

who diagnosed this for you and how did they come to it?

It was diagnosed by a physiotherapist after a standard assessment. The initial injury was a normal 'grade one strain' but the condition has deteriorated to hamstring tendinosis or tendinopathy as its apparently more commonly called. Iv stuck to my rehab program like clockwork however the condition is now chronic and after doing some research iv noticed a few inconsistencies in terms of recommended treatment and rehab procedures, particularly advice from different therapists that is contradictory to one another. Has anyone experienced this (beside my old mate bucks who i couldnt get hold of) if so id like to hear how you went about overcoming the injury. Cheers

if that diagnosis is correct then from what i can remember, only 80% make a full recovery from it and it will more then likely require surgery..what they diagnosed is a chronic injury though...how long have you had it?

yeh the back issues definately sound like they could have contributed to this. but the prob could stem from feet problems or posture or anything really, its all connected.

i would go to a physio 1st, they tend to have a better understanding of musculo skeletal things than a gp. if you know of a decent sports doctor that would be good also, but physio should help you out

Best bet is to visit an osteopath. They have a superior understanding of anatomy and biomechanics and are best equipped to deal with the CAUSE of your problems rather than the symptoms:thumbsu::thumbsu:

what stretches?

what core exercises?

no ass work, really?

Standing hamstring stretch and hamstring stretch on excercise ball.

Ham set, staright leg up bridge on ball, knee to chest bridge lock, arabesque position. front plank, superman....if any of that makes sense.

ass work?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hamstring/Glute

Remove this Banner Ad

Back