Happy Birthday Melbourne Football Club

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes. Happy Birthday to the second oldest football club of any code in the world. It will be a very sad day in Australia and for our great game if they were to fold or merge.

All the best :thumbsu:

Didn't know that until TFS said so 5 minutes ago.

But happy birthday to the oldest club in the league.
I hope they can fix their debt and become a good club once again. :thumbsu:

I don't get it - they have been established for 150 years, about 40 years before any other club.
So they had no opposition - what did they do for 40 years?

Perhaps that's how they started the skiing tradition. :confused:

I don't get it - they have been established for 150 years, about 40 years before any other club. So they had no opposition - what did they do for 40 years?

You need to brush up on your history.

I don't get it - they have been established for 150 years, about 40 years before any other club.

Geelong are not far behind.... As well as univesity. and here's a shock, Castlemaine football club are also pretty close to the mark

birthday%20cake%20slice.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you don't know, don't speak.

MFC 1859
GFC 1960
Carlton 1864
NMFC 1869
PAFC 1870

5 within an 11 year period.

And that's just the 5 oldest current AFL clubs. There were many, many, many more around this time period, some surviving in lower leagues today, and many who aren't.

Melbourne actually formed a club before they had agreed on the rules.
They had an early rivalry with the "toffs" from South Yarra, and also played a club from St'Kilda which isn't the same as the modern St.Kilda.

Geelong appeared quickly and there is evidence of a number of teams being formed in Geelong at the time.

The AFL likes to play down the game's prehistory but there were actually plenty of clubs back in the early 1860s well before the VFA or the VFL. There was Richmond cricketers, St Kilda and South Yarra (which were all actually older but now defunct and didn't at first play under Melbourne's rules but their own), Melbourne, University, Geelong, Castlemaine etc. These clubs occasionally played each other informally between 1856 and 1860.

There was an original competition called the Caledonian Games in the early 1860s and South Yarra Challenge which the Melbourne Football CLub won several times.
http://www.northernbullants.com.au/media/Archives/OurGame/1861TheCaledonianGames.html

a little known fact is that it was also apparently one of the world's first football competitions and trophies of any code.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldest_football_competitions
There you go

If you don't know, don't speak.

MFC 1859
GFC 1960
Carlton 1864
NMFC 1869
PAFC 1870

5 within an 11 year period.

And that's just the 5 oldest current AFL clubs. There were many, many, many more around this time period, some surviving in lower leagues today, and many who aren't.

ok im gona ignore the 1960 bit in geelong, but melbourne 1858, geelong was 1859... dunno about the rest

the before comp. cant be stuffed finding where you saw it, but the before comp didnt start it and therefore wasnt part of the original afl... thus melbourne is the first, so that one is pointless, Melbourne is the first...

OK, so Melbourne is the first - so who did they play?

Or did they just form thr club and wait for a few years for an opponent? :confused:

ok im gona ignore the 1960 bit in geelong, but melbourne 1858, geelong was 1859... dunno about the rest

You are right, it was a typo and innacurate, GFC was indeed founded in 1859.

However, you are wrong about the MFC. It was founded in 1859. You know, making it 150 years old, which is the topic of the thread.

This thread for me says a lot. A day and a half old, less than 20 replies. Not a lot of people care about MFC, its that simple. Any Melbourne thread struggles to draw interest, kudos to their fans here, but the truth is theyre a very boring club that nobody besides their (largely transparent) fans care about.

I am sorry but I am not going to go along with this "feel good " thread.

Now before I start let me say I acknowledge I am an interstater, so dont really feel the love here.

From my perspective I feel this whole topic is utter crap.

Melbourne Football Club is or is quickly becomming a non entity.

I respect history and past achievement and am a footy nut...full of nostalgia. But a few things need to be said before everyone starts stroking themselves.

IMHO the "Dees" are so far behind the preverbial 8 ball it doesnt matter.

As an outsider I hear alot about ALL clubs and what evokes a passion amongst footy followers...and here is the problem.....I work all over Australia and try to promote our game whenever I have the chance, I talk of the "Shinboner" spirit, the guts of the Hawks, the Greatness of Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon. The amazing talents of Geelong not just of now but years gone bye,the colourful history of the Saints, the fact that all of us would love ( quietly) to see the dogs win another flag or the true passion of the Tiger army ( best of ther best ).

Every club stirs a passion if not a reaction....except for Melbourne.

I appreciate I may get hammered for this opinion, but in all honesty I think you would all agree( deep down ) that Melbourne are an insignificant club in todays atmosphere. They do not evoke a passion, their brand is is appalling and almost irrelevent and what direction are they headed ?
I am all for propping up clubs and helping out those that have a pathway to the future, but what is their pathway ?
We all hear that Melbourne cannot support 10 teams...it cant. It is a huge disadvantage to the Vic teams ( this comming from a South Aussie ) It is a disadvantage that may cost a flag or 2. All the Vic clubs do an exceptional job in such a competitive market place, but its only going to get tougher.
In this market place and looking at things without emotion I am astounded the Dees are still around.

I congratulate the Melbourne Football Club on its birthday, I wish you all the best, but for the sake of 9 other clubs in your area I hope your demise is swift.

I know I am sounding like a total prick, and I have nothing personal against the Dee's at all, but if a club has to go I am afraid it will be the one that evokes the least passion and where ever I go I get a blank when I talk of the Dee's.Where as myself and alot of mates have donated to stuggling clubs because we have reason to feel passion, the Dee's strike a lack of passion.

I am sorry. but I am speaking the truth.

This thread for me says a lot. A day and a half old, less than 20 replies. Not a lot of people care about MFC, its that simple. Any Melbourne thread struggles to draw interest, kudos to their fans here, but the truth is theyre a very boring club that nobody besides their (largely transparent) fans care about.

And here is a perfect exmaple of my opion.

I loved the VFL and I love the AFL, but a club or 2 has to go for the sake of the comp.

Hammer me please...but I suspect there wont be too many.

Dan.

You are right, it was a typo and innacurate, GFC was indeed founded in 1859.

However, you are wrong about the MFC. It was founded in 1859. You know, making it 150 years old, which is the topic of the thread.
and yet... geelong is not celebrating their 150th bday today... care to explain, and to the previous bloke,

Melbourne Uni v Scotch College, are people ever going to do research or just sprout crap.
Geelongs 150th is next year... dont make me get official sites to quote myself

Hmm interesting... so this thread which says happy 150th birthday to melbourne, who no melbourne administrators will most likely never read needs more interest... you my dear person are a fool, i cant wait till geelong have there 150th next year, melbourne is currently at the bottom of the ladder, if geelong was right next to us i guarantee you wouldnt be talking your mouth of jack arse...

to slammin... We created this game so yours can live, if one goes let it be yours, yours was made up to spite pt adelaide, yet they still made their arses in good work for that mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Happy Birthday Melbourne Football Club

Remove this Banner Ad

Back