Harbrow Gone!

Remove this Banner Ad

Funny people weren't so happy when Nathan Brown furthered his career.
That's because the sole reason for Nathan leaving was $$$.

That's not the case with Harbrow, he wants to move back home. Sure the money he will get will be nice, but so will be playing closer to his family and partner.

I grew up in the western suburbs. I supported the bulldogs my whole life. You could offer me any amount of money but I would never want to play for any other team. Guys like Cooney and Griffen could move home and earn more money but theyve chosen loyalty and to be part of our great clubs future. Good on Harbrow, go make money and go closer to queensland, but maybe we should have rookied a young western suburbs kid who wanted to be here.

Agree. People can have a go at him, but lets be honest, all of us on this board would have done exactly the same in his position. Good luck to him.

Bullshit.

You don't speak on behalf of me, what I would do or what my morals are.

I got out of a career in finace and economics which offered big coin to get into welfare and helping people, which pays next to F**** all. Looks like not all of us would do the same thing, so spare me the self rightous speech.

it's his right to leave as it is my right to tell him to go and get f*****, wish him no luck and hope that his career plateaus out into 7 years of mediocrity.

I grew up in the western suburbs. I supported the bulldogs my whole life. You could offer me any amount of money but I would never want to play for any other team. Guys like Cooney and Griffen could move home and earn more money but theyve chosen loyalty and to be part of our great clubs future. Good on Harbrow, go make money and go closer to queensland, but maybe we should have rookied a young western suburbs kid who wanted to be here.

I agree with you. But we had better get used to it with free agency around the corner!

Ta mate.... fairly useless having any restrictions if they can do everything but sign the contract!
I don't have any great ill feeling toward Harbrow. It's great if guys like Grant have such loyalty to turn down $$ when they are waved under their noses but if they don't I can understand it.
Yes, in hindsight it would be great if there was a local kid just as good who we could have got instead who would have been just as good but that's life.
Need to have a Nostradamus at the club. :p

1) There was a loophole in the rules where a player could sign with the Gold Coast (the period between the two drafts last year)and be allowed to do this. Some players would have done this and not told their club.

2)Apart from that particular period, the player couldn't sign with the GC until the end of his season, but there was nothing to stop him negotiating or signing a heads of agreement. His agent has all the contract and paperwork waiting to be signed, and the player just signs it as soon as his season finishes.

Not sure which category Harbrow fell into. But for sure, some players signed during the sunset period without their clubs knowing. Some of the clubs didn't even know that the loophole existed.

I understand why he's left, and have expected it for awhile. The fact he has obviously come to terms with another club while still playing for our club doesn't sit well with me.

Good luck Jarrod, genuinly hope it all goes well for him up there. Don't bother coming to the B+F though your completly irrelevant to this club as far as I'm concerned.

That's because the sole reason for Nathan leaving was $$$.

That's not the case with Harbrow, he wants to move back home. Sure the money he will get will be nice, but so will be playing closer to his family and partner.

Ok, I'm sorry that the "Harbrow is moving home" argument is nothing but ****ing bullshit.

The guy is from Cairns, not from the Gold Coast. It's 2,000 kilometers from the Gold Coast.

He purely went for FINANCIAL REASONS. He did play well for us, and I loved his style of play while he was with us, and hope he goes ok in the future, but... ultimately he went for the money, and he is gone now.

As for others making excuses for him, harden the **** up and just realise he went for the cash.

The only good thing about him leaving is that we will at least get omething back, and that we've had the whole season to get used to the idea.

Now we should trade something for Sherman who seems a fit replacement at half the cost, and go from there in 2011.

Let's hope Harbrow regrets taking the cash when he sees us lift the cup next year.

Ta mate.... fairly useless having any restrictions if they can do everything but sign the contract!

Yes agree. But the GC and GWS are the main priorities of the AFL so justice and fair play will come a distant second you would think.

I dug out an article by Caro written in February this year which answers your orginal question in more depth than my previous post.It is weird re reading her article, how many of the things she wrote then have turned out accurate.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/rumours-of-secret-deals-20100216-o8wz.html

THE Gold Coast has exposed a legal loophole in the AFL rules that allows players to sign secret deals.

Campbell Brown, one of several players rumoured to have already signed with the new club, yesterday denied to the Hawks that he had a written deal with the Gold Coast.
Brown was just one of several players eyeballed yesterday by club officials in the belief they had not only been targeted but secretly signed to confidentiality agreements. Unconfirmed reports continued to sweep the industry that six players had been signed by the Gold Coast late last year between October 31 and the pre-season drafts
Four clubs contacted by the AFL yesterday said they had no knowledge of the rule.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/rumours-of-secret-deals-20100216-o8wz.html

Even more reason to draft local and strengthen the local culture and connection.

It would be great if it was possible - but in practice we would be struggling without guys from interstate like Griff - and what area are you going to go for, just the West of Melb?????

It was great to have guys like Johnno who are RWB through and through but there aren't enough of them!

good luck to you jarrod, we gave you a chance as a rookie and you have made something of yourself. shame we could not win the ultimate, as that would have made your decision easier to take.will continue to follow your career with interest.

It would be great if it was possible - but in practice we would be struggling without guys from interstate like Griff - and what area are you going to go for, just the West of Melb?????

It was great to have guys like Johnno who are RWB through and through but there aren't enough of them!

I'm not saying exclusively but I don't think we rookie enough local kids. The rookie list is the perfect place to rookie local lads. I can't believe how few Western Jets kids get drafted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bullshit.

You don't speak on behalf of me, what I would do or what my morals are.

I got out of a career in finace and economics which offered big coin to get into welfare and helping people, which pays next to F**** all. Looks like not all of us would do the same thing, so spare me the self rightous speech.

it's his right to leave as it is my right to tell him to go and get f*****, wish him no luck and hope that his career plateaus out into 7 years of mediocrity.

Totally agree with you, money is all ex-number 40 was after and has shown no loyalty to the club that gave him a chance, may all the event that fell on Judus Brown when he left fall on him.:cool:

Anyone having a crack at Harbrow for heading to GC is a complete moron. BWFC, if you were offered a job at another company interstate that was near your family and your GF, AND paid you almost a million dollars extra over the life of the deal, you wouldnt take it?? Get real mate. And its noway near as bad as that for us. We get seriously compensated for him walking with picks, and can us eth extra cap space to have a crack at Sherman or Jetta etc.

And to suggest he shouldnt have been picked in the finals is just as disgraceful. He was superb against Sydney. Guys like Wood & Grant wouldnt have had the experience of playing in a prelim if we hadnt picked Harbrow.

Im personally happy for him. The club did a great job in turning a rookie selection into at least 1 first rounder, maybe even 2 (I think it will be 2 given his paypacket and his age). We got some great footy out of the guy as well in the meantime.

Thumbs down to anyone throwing hate his way.

Top post. Loyalty cuts both ways. Just wait for trade week and watch clubs try and trade players all over the place.

Well done Jarrod and good luck with your future at the Suns!

We cant blame him for trying to set himself up financially. A damn pity to lose a young player and I doubt the compensation will cover our loss.

The bloke we shoul;d be shitty with is Scott Clayton because he used his Bulldogs knowledge to target Jarred.

It would be great if it was possible - but in practice we would be struggling without guys from interstate like Griff and Adam Cooney - and what area are you going to go for, just the West of Melb?????

Added to it.

What a disappointing attitude by some. Don't blame Jarrod, blame the AFL for expanding the comp, giving the loop holes and providing a significant ability to earn more. It's the fat AFL suits who need to justify their existence that allowed Jarrod a lucrative contract.

I wish Jarrod all the best and hope he does really well at Gold Coast. He's played out of his skin most games this year and was great to watch him play.

BWFC, I like your posts (and your avatar) but this vitriol against Jarrod is just not warranted. Don't give him a reason to play well against us.

He better watch out last time I wished injury on a turncoat it was one of the best leg breaks football had ever seen :)

Totally agree with you, money is all ex-number 40 was after and has shown no loyalty to the club that gave him a chance, may all the event that fell on Judus Brown when he left fall on him.:cool:

Seriously, all the posters wishing injury on him is an absolute disgrace. :thumbsdown:

Everyone is dissappointed that he is leaving, but try and show a tiny bit of decency. I know that it is a really tall order for BF, but if we could try it would be nice.

The home part and girlfriend part is a cop out.
You haven't lived away from home for an extended period of time have you? If you have, you still clearly don't understand the effect it can have on people. Being homesick and away from family is a bloody shithouse feeling and most people will jump at any chance to go home

You haven't lived away from home for an extended period of time have you? If you have, you still clearly don't understand the effect it can have on people. Being homesick and away from family is a bloody shithouse feeling and most people will jump at any chance to go home

Seriously, harden up. He's getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars a year and living a lifestyle most of us would kill for.

Geez.

The bottom line is that he has deserted the club that gave him a break. Classy.

Check a map, the Gold Coast and Cairns may be in the same state, but there is still over 2000km between them, only 1000km less than Melbourne and Cairns and about 30 minutes less flying time.ex-number 40 went for the money and nothing else. Also the myth that he was recruited from Cairns, he came from Shepperton, it was his choice and his alone to move out of Cairns so no-one should blame the club for moving him away from home.:cool:

Remove this Banner Ad

Harbrow Gone!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back