Podcast Hardwick on "Dyl and Friends"

Remove this Banner Ad

No they weren’t during the time , so again you’re off the mark. We didn’t win a flag in 21 and beyond which is the period I’m speaking about. Now waddle off and don’t let the door hit you on the arse on the way out. Learn to read posts carefully before you start pulling the trigger.
Well if we are just talking Hardwick, from numerous threads on here from you

2010-2016 - Hardwick = Sh*t
2017-2020 - Hardwick = Good
2021-2023 - Hardwick = Sh*t

So basically if we are winning, everyones ok, but when we lose, they are all to blame.

This again has nothing to do with the issues that were being discussed and the time period. You have just come in here with your lack of knowledge on these topics and you’re now back peddling to safe some dignity, but digging a deeper hole for yourself with more assumptions and stupidity.
So you didn't answer my question...

And how do you have a lack of knowledge on a topic that is 100% subject to personal opinion.

You blame Hardwick for not dropping JC, you believe that had greater contribution to JV pulling the pin early. That's not a fact to be knowledgeable about, that's just your opinion, and a biased one at that when it comes to Hardwick.

Given Hardwick mentioned the internal recognition and praise for JC was there, you could easily mount an argument that Hardwick did everything he could to support JC, not hang him out to dry and you suggested. But again, that's an opinion, not fact. Although it does have more evidence to support it given someone involved stated what had happened.

So I'm not "back peddling" as you suggested. I'm simply asking you a question, one you haven't answered yet, and you are trying to take it off topic and make it personal as a way of avoiding what I asked.

So you didn't answer my question...

And how do you have a lack of knowledge on a topic that is 100% subject to personal opinion.

You blame Hardwick for not dropping JC, you believe that had greater contribution to JV pulling the pin early. That's not a fact to be knowledgeable about, that's just your opinion, and a biased one at that when it comes to Hardwick.

Given Hardwick mentioned the internal recognition and praise for JC was there, you could easily mount an argument that Hardwick did everything he could to support JC, not hang him out to dry and you suggested. But again, that's an opinion, not fact. Although it does have more evidence to support it given someone involved stated what had happened.

So I'm not "back peddling" as you suggested. I'm simply asking you a question, one you haven't answered yet, and you are trying to take it off topic and make it personal as a way of avoiding what I asked.
This was not your original argument as it was a personal attack of nonsense. And again JC did not pull the pin earlier as you’re suggesting by rarara. His career appeared to be extended by the gifting of extra games. So you’re on one hand suggesting KDH was right by playing him for 18 months of mediocrity and his career ended early , yet rule out the suggestion his career could’ve benefited by gaining confidence in the VFL.
Strangely enough in the Cumberland thread you mention how KDH modified the game plan to fit blokes like Rioli and JC into the team. What went wrong then as the game plan was the same?
There was also no personal remarks by me, but only rebuttal to your initial childish and personal insults

No Morro the FD with DH and his stupid fan boys contributed bc they condoned and stood up for his mediocrity. Had he been dropped in round three 2021 roughly he could have still been on our list. He was not sent back to correct, improve or modify his game for hIs personal betterment or for the teams. The vocal minority as usual were right , but it was too late once the people who had a chance to do anything woke up to it bc his confidence and career was in tatters.
Hmmm, I would think that Dimma would know a hell of a lot more than you or some of the others that are denying SM can have a bearing on someone’s mental state. And he was an easy target that copped far too much crap just because he played a sport at elite level and for sure, had deficiencies.
I’ve never been on Farcebook of Instacrap or any other SM platform as they are just a cesspool for trolls that hide behind a keyboard as well as being the greatest invasion of privacy ever.

Hmmm, I would think that Dimma would know a hell of a lot more than you or some of the others that are denying SM can have a bearing on someone’s mental state. And he was an easy target that copped far too much crap just because he played a sport at elite level and for sure, had deficiencies.
I’ve never been on Farcebook of Instacrap or any other SM platform as they are just a cesspool for trolls that hide behind a keyboard as well as being the greatest invasion of privacy ever.
Yeah that's why players are educated on it. Stupid him if if if he did so. Also KDH admitting he did little about it . lol admitting to incompetence..
IT'S ALL BS mate and just another DRAMA QUEEN episode in the life of Damien Hardwick. Just attention seeking and shopping himself around in the spotlight. Move on as I know the facts on SM and sports star so if it ruins them then they were really mentally soft to play the game and stupid to avoid advice.

Dimma said he’d Coach till he thought the window had closed.
Said in his presser the mistake he made at the start of the season was to watch “The Last Dance”, I’m ok with him going when he did and on his own terms.
He probably earned the right.

But in terms of Castagna.
We brought in two genuine inside mids so the plan was Dusty and Bolton play forward more, we have Cumberland and MRJ.

Where was Hardwick going to play him?
They had played him as a high forward in 22. He only played 16 games.
And why the fk would any player look up himself on a site like this?
For confidence?
To say he retired because of social media is rubbish.
His game was built on crazy pace and effort. His speed came back to fast and you need more than just effort to make it at the level.
If he was a great small forward he’d still be one.
Social media…geez

S
Said in his presser the mistake he made at the start of the season was to watch “The Last Dance”, I’m ok with him going when he did and on his own terms.

We brought in two genuine inside mids so the plan was Dusty and Bolton play forward more, we have Cumberland and MRJ.

For confidence?
His game was built on crazy pace and effort. His speed came back to fast and you need more than just effort to make it at the level.
Social media…geez
So why would Dimma say he should have defended George more from the crap George was receiving on SM? It’s pretty bloody clear Dimma and George were well aware of the rubbish being posted about him. Anytime anyone cops criticism, they are uncomfortable about it. I know for sure that I am, but others, not so much. Affects different people in different ways but the fact Dimma mentioned it says something for sure. And it’s not like George wasn’t giving his all for the side, easy to bag a guy from behind a keyboard.
anyway, I’ve had my say, but I’m sure TI will jump on and unjustifiably bag Dimma again. After all, it’s all his fault we haven’t cruised to another flag in the last two and a bit seasons.

For confidence?
Social media…geez
💯 spot on to much bs and excuses for me on the George scenario the fact is he wasn't performing and doing the basics the maniac pressure , speed and chipping in with a couple goals. Dimma said he was ticking the boxes alot of crap.He kept on playing him and hoping he come good and his confidence got shot when he should have been in the vfl the same with the Aarts situation.

Seems to me people in here think Dimma is immune to criticism just because of the 3 flags we're great full no doubt , but he shouldn't escape it.

S

So why would Dimma say he should have defended George more from the crap George was receiving on SM? It’s pretty bloody clear Dimma and George were well aware of the rubbish being posted about him. Anytime anyone cops criticism, they are uncomfortable about it. I know for sure that I am, but others, not so much. Affects different people in different ways but the fact Dimma mentioned it says something for sure. And it’s not like George wasn’t giving his all for the side, easy to bag a guy from behind a keyboard.
anyway, I’ve had my say, but I’m sure TI will jump on and unjustifiably bag Dimma again. After all, it’s all his fault we haven’t cruised to another flag in the last two and a bit seasons.
Why would you keep looking at it if it upsets you?
I loved George and I’m grateful but the game changed and it didn’t suit him.
Rioli managed to reinvent himself but not everyone can.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll take Dimma on face value as to his reasons for quiting our club. I don't walk in his shoes, therefore, I have to respect what he is saying.

However, it does strike me rather odd that a person who has quit as a result of being burnt out is suddenly jumping out of his skin and inferring he will coach again ONLY one month later!!

Forgive me, but I don't buy this cooking sausages 1001 ways business. Kevin Sheedy won his first flag as coach of Essendon in 1984. He won his last in 2000. 16 years later!! With the same club!! Lists turn over. New players come in as the old come to an end. The coach can sing from the same hymn book to a different group.

I will forever be appreciative of what Dimma has done for our club. I'll admit I wanted to see the back of Dimma at seasons end 2016 even though I was a staunch supporter prior to that (and since); and I'm more than happy to admit I was wrong.

However, the events of the last month can't help but raise the question - is there something else behind his decision to quit?

If I were involved with a club seen as a likely suitor for Dimma, I would tread very wearily.

Why would you keep looking at it if it upsets you?
I loved George and I’m grateful but the game changed and it didn’t suit him.
Rioli managed to reinvent himself but not everyone can.
You need skills today by foot and by hand , why are we always highlighting our poor skills and then try to justify keeping him in the side

I'll take Dimma on face value as to his reasons for quiting our club. I don't walk in his shoes, therefore, I have to respect what he is saying.

However, it does strike me rather odd that a person who has quit as a result of being burnt out is suddenly jumping out of his skin and inferring he will coach again ONLY one month later!!

Forgive me, but I don't buy this cooking sausages 1001 ways business. Kevin Sheedy won his first flag as coach of Essendon in 1984. He won his last in 2000. 16 years later!! With the same club!! Lists turn over. New players come in as the old come to an end. The coach can sing from the same hymn book to a different group.

I will forever be appreciative of what Dimma has done for our club. I'll admit I wanted to see the back of Dimma at seasons end 2016 even though I was a staunch supporter prior to that (and since); and I'm more than happy to admit I was wrong.

However, the events of the last month can't help but raise the question - is there something else behind his decision to quit?

If I were involved with a club seen as a likely suitor for Dimma, I would tread very wearily.
I believe he was pushed, I have said that from the start.

Only way you pay him out is if he was pushed , other than legal entitlement he should have got nothing , didn’t even give notice so he can * right off to the Gold Coast or Pooort
BG openly said they we were going to pay him out for this year and that he hadnt asked for anything. Agree or disagree, that's the way the club does things these days. Granted, no-one outside the club can know what the final figure will be but given he was more than halfway through this seasons contract (Oct/Nov) i can see the logic in pretty much paying out the remainder of the season to someone who 1) hasnt asked for anything, and 2) brought success and 3) taking BG at his word

Last edited:
Dimma pulling the pin was the best decision when you look back on it. He was starting to struggle as a coach and getting his message across, he knew it. Also, our team is in a transition phase now and as he said he saw the likes of Edwards & Lambert & Houli retire and found it hard to deal with. With Jack and Cotchin the next to go it would be tough on any coach to say goodbye to the players you relied so heavily on.

Whether Mini is the coach going forward or not doesn't matter, Dimma made the right call for himself and for the club.
Not sure why so many supporters want to talk him down so much, he was the head coach that gave the club 3 flags, something I had just about given up on seeing after 40 years following our team.

BG openly said they we were going to pay him out for this year and that he hadnt asked for anything. Agree or disagree, that's the way the club does things these days. Granted, no-one outside the club can know what the final figure will be but given he was more than halfway through this seasons contract (Oct/Nov) i can see the logic in pretty much paying out the remainder of the season to someone who 1) hasnt asked for anything, and 2) brought success and 3) taking BG at his word
I also heard Gale say this too. I just cant remember if it was a side interview or was said on the day Dimma retired.

For confidence?
Social media…geez
100% agree with you analysis of why and how George's career ended, but as far as social media goes, he was a young bloke who would read social media not in connection with footy, but it pops up all the time. Facebook, Twitter, he couldn't help but notice it. So there is a bob each way in what Hardwick was saying. Thing is not many copped it as bad as George did.

100% agree with you analysis of why and how George's career ended, but as far as social media goes, he was a young bloke who would read social media not in connection with footy, but it pops up all the time. Facebook, Twitter, he couldn't help but notice it. So there is a bob each way in what Hardwick was saying. Thing is not many copped it as bad as George did.
Also need to put into perspective that even if Castagna didn’t read some of the stuff himself it could still filter through to him by his friends and family and it could take its toll on them and him in the process

Even if it’s just a mate jokingly saying that he read some dick head on Facebook saying x or y it would still have an effect

Also need to put into perspective that even if Castagna didn’t read some of the stuff himself it could still filter through to him by his friends and family and it could take its toll on them and him in the process

Even if it’s just a mate jokingly saying that he read some dick head on Facebook saying x or y it would still have an effect

Also to note, Dimma wasn't solely blaming social media, he said he has a feeling it added to George's decision. Something I think is 100% correct.

Like to go back and watch his last few games and the crowd reaction to him.

geez some of you have jumped off quickly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Podcast Hardwick on "Dyl and Friends"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back