Traded Harley Balic [traded to Melbourne] [retired]

Remove this Banner Ad

He is uncontracted and sat out half the year. You will be lucky to get a 50s/60s pick like we did for kersten.
Probably correct in terms of trade value, although I am scratching my head trying to recall which other WA club Fremantle was in competition with to secure Kersten's services??? If Balic is as sought after by the club's as he seems to be on here by supporters, and if he is open to go to whatever club Fremantle works best with, his value could change.

Still, difficult to see a better outcome than 50s/60s.

Probably correct in terms of trade value, although I am scratching my head trying to recall which other WA club Fremantle was in competition with to secure Kersten's services??? If Balic is as sought after by the club's as he seems to be on here by supporters, and if he is open to go to whatever club Fremantle works best with, his value could change.

Still, difficult to see a better outcome than 50s/60s.

When do players ever do that though? They almost always nominate one club. FWIW i rate him i just think you will get unders because of your lack of leverage.

When do players ever do that though? They almost always nominate one club. FWIW i rate him i just think you will get unders because of your lack of leverage.
Yep. I don't think that is particularly unders, although you do get a lot of potential upside with him. Hard to argue that it should be more. He is the classic "worth more to us than we would get in a trade" kind of player. But if there is competition for him.... will be interesting to see.

The only teensy bit of leverage we might have is we treated him pretty well this year and that MIGHT colour his choice towards getting Freo a decent deal if the VIC offers are all about the same

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

What's so good about Balic?

Highly rated youngster, and most junior talent scouts had him in the first round of what seems to be a pretty strong 1st round draft crop. So he has upside and is probably worth more than any potential payments.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was spruiked a potential top 10 pick in his draft year.. Slid to 38.. Appears to have a poor attitude and weak mentally.. 2 years in the system and has done nothing to increase his valuation would have to think any club paying more than a 4th round pick is paying overs.

Was spruiked a potential top 10 pick in his draft year.. Slid to 38.. Appears to have a poor attitude and weak mentally.. 2 years in the system and has done nothing to increase his valuation would have to think any club paying more than a 4th round pick is paying overs.

When he did play, 3 games that is, he slotted in and looked at ease. Most non freo posters will not have seen his few games but it got me thinking this kid is a natural footballer.

On the plus side there is a thread on the freo board that ranks our youngsters. Most posters have not bothered with him as they see him as gone already. A few though have rated him very highly. The OP suggested he started the thread to see how high Balic is rated. It pains me to say but he has the raw ability to be the best of the bunch, most have Blakely as best rated youngster.

On the negative side is his mental headspace. He struggled with a pre season team building camp where they trekked through our "Mountainous" Stirling ranges and had well documented time off. Perhaps all this due to being away from family and friends. There is a bit ofa scandalous rumour a few pages back that may also detract from his appeal.

If I was a Melbourne based team I would sign him up quick smart..... for the right price. In my mind there is a 30 % chance he doesn't make it at all. However if he does make it he can range from a B+ to maybe an A. Its worth the roll of the dice. Anyway for whoever signs him there will be an exciting youngster on your list with a high ceiling.

When future posters claim they got the upper hand on Freo by picking up Balic for a 3rd round pick/steak knives I will refer back to this post.

Paul Roos obviously rates him as spent like a whole minute crapping on about him as a footy talent once like he was a Sydney player on LT.

Very likely wont get anything meaningful at all for him in this situation though, just the way it goes.

He rates him because he is mates with his son.

Would of seen a lot him whilst watching his son at the Sandy Dragons.

It's the same reason Brereton craps on about certain players from Sandringham, thinking that people can't see straight through the fact he only knows about them because of that same reason.

The same reason why BT named Prestia the human meatball and gave him so much press in his first year at GC, Prestia is best mates with BT's son from his Assumption days.

The AFL media are terrible at knowing junior football, considering the amount of info most commentators in the NFL and NBA know about players coming into the system.

He rates him because he is mates with his son.

Would of seen a lot him whilst watching his son at the Sandy Dragons.

It's the same reason Brereton craps on about certain players from Sandringham, thinking that people can't see straight through the fact he only knows about them because of that same reason.

The same reason why BT named Prestia the human meatball and gave him so much press in his first year at GC, Prestia is best mates with BT's son from his Assumption days.

The AFL media are terrible at knowing junior football, considering the amount of info most commentators in the NFL and NBA know about players coming into the system.

We hardly have an under 18s comp and the US sports have Collegiate competitions with massive television deals. Recruitment is a lot more difficult when it comes to AFL, so I don't blame the media for not being experts on everyone.

True but I think Roos' opinion despite a bit of bias would have some weight especially compared to bone-heads like Brereton.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Harley Balic [traded to Melbourne] [retired]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back