Mitcha

All Australian
Jan 19, 2005
Out West
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Western Bulldogs
This may seem tough on someone who wasn't even playing, but I couldn't help thinking as O'Loughlin was running amok in the third quarter that Ryan Hargrave cost us badly with his report and suspension from last weeks game.
He would have been the perfect match-up for O'Loughlin being able to compete with him in the air and also have the pace to match when it hit the deck. I am all for players showing some aggression at the man and ball but Hargrave's hit on Grant last week was soft in that the ball had already left the area. He has let the club, his coach, his teammates and all supporters down. Does any one disagree?

There was nothing in the incident IMO, should have got off. However, he has let the club down, just by putting himself in that posititon, because we desperately needed him out there today.

I agree...suspensions always hurt the club and I'm sure rocket had words to him about it...

probably would've put Bobby on o'laughlan earlier than the last quarter to compensate.

Gooka said:
I agree...suspensions always hurt the club and I'm sure rocket had words to him about it...

probably would've put Bobby on o'laughlan earlier than the last quarter to compensate.

Agreed. Morris will only learn from that experience though.

The lesson I took from watching O'Loughlin being given the ball on a plate was that nothing changes - if you frig around in the pockets and flanks at the SCG you get elbowed out of the contest - the only way to play is direct and rapidly into the forward fifty.

ErnieSigley said:
Agree. We would have won with him in the side.
Not only would he have been a good match up for O'Laughlin but we also missed his run from the backline.

And we woulda won if we hadn't hit the post, Granty wasn't injured, brian had his mind on the game etc etc

Shaggy being suspended hurt us, but those saying he should have got off? He did whack him, late and high.

it hurt but i dont' think it was the reason we lost.
We switched off in the second and third quarters.

That ground was difficult for us, made us kick to contests, small forward line couldn't find space. As a result murpny, cooney, johnson were all quiet.
It was a tough day and we did ok but could of done better.
I look forward to this week when we take on the evil empire!

Great minds think alike and it was obvious to blind freddie that we didn't have a defender able to curb O'Loughlin on a lead. He had Morris for pace and despite the decision by Eade to persist i feel Robert Murphy should have been sent to him after his first few goals. Hargrave was clearly the man to take O'Loughlin and his suspension cost us dearly and at the same time highlights how omportant Shaggy can be to the side at times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I said straight after the roos game that it would most likely cost us big time but I am not overly dissapointed in Hargrave.There is a direct correlation in recent times between teams having a large number of suspensions and teams moving up the ladder.Stkilda and Geelong had alot last season,Essendon had massive amounts in 2000 and we set some sort of record in 97.AFL players are only human and they watch other teams play on TV.If you see someone or an entire team being physical week in and week out then you are going to start beating certain teams before you even step out on the field.

Dog Town said:
I said straight after the roos game that it would most likely cost us big time but I am not overly dissapointed in Hargrave.There is a direct correlation in recent times between teams having a large number of suspensions and teams moving up the ladder.Stkilda and Geelong had alot last season,Essendon had massive amounts in 2000 and we set some sort of record in 97.AFL players are only human and they watch other teams play on TV.If you see someone or an entire team being physical week in and week out then you are going to start beating certain teams before you even step out on the field.

Well said!
As much as we missed Shaggy on the weekend, I for one am really glad to see the guys go so hard at the ball, and present a ferocious desire to win the ball.
As long as Hargrave isn't consistently errant and cost us again, his endeavour on the ball will continue to earn respect amongst all.
His rebound against the Roo's was fantastic, and he will be a welcome addition to the team this weekend.

Successful teams are aggressive. Not neccesarily at the opponent, but at the contest. And the more aggressive you are at the contest, the more likely the chance of getting a report.

So do you back off to not get reported and be seen as soft? Teams are respected for aggressive play, as opppsed to "punching bag" diplomacy. The days of punching your way to success are over. Sure Jonathan Brown and Alastair Lynch got the Lions to the GF las year, but their actions didn't do then any good on the day. Whereas they put the fear of god into Collingwood in 2003 with direct "run through brick walls" attitude. That is what takes a team to the top.

So there will casualites along the way, but that's the price you pay.

Mitcha said:
This may seem tough on someone who wasn't even playing, but I couldn't help thinking as O'Loughlin was running amok in the third quarter that Ryan Hargrave cost us badly with his report and suspension from last weeks game.
He would have been the perfect match-up for O'Loughlin being able to compete with him in the air and also have the pace to match when it hit the deck. I am all for players showing some aggression at the man and ball but Hargrave's hit on Grant last week was soft in that the ball had already left the area. He has let the club, his coach, his teammates and all supporters down. Does any one disagree?
I'm really thrilled that Hargie/Shaggy has emerged to be considered an indespensible part of our team. It wasn't so long ago, maybe 5 or 6 weeks, that many on this board were unconvinced that he deserved a game.
As to being a perfect match up for O'Loughlin I'm not sure, but as Terry Wheeler used to say if you're not there you're not there. We will never know. That said Shaggy has learnt a lesson. He must show his aggression in a more focussed manner.

What is highlighted is however that till some of the senior players currently languishing at Werribee get back their lost form, would someone tell them where it is hidden, we have no depth.
Equally that Rocket prefers to put his faith in developing young players who put their hand up rather than going all negative and rushing back experienced but out of form seniors. Just look at how many with less than 20 games he took to Sydney on the fast learning curve and how he gave Wight the chance to play on a Brownlow meadalist and they showed faith to each other by persisting. This is just another example of how the club is advancing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Harsh Criticism

Remove this Banner Ad

Back