Harvey gone

Remove this Banner Ad

I understand reacting badly to the shock of the news, but how could you not be happy with it at the time. It's the exact kind of decision the club should have made 10 years earlier.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This all happened before I joined BF. Re-reading all the posts when Ross was announced as our coach. I am really enjoying the posts of afl08 ;)
Despite not signing on as a member ever again and having the signature "Heave the Steves, Heave the Steves" he still wanted to go and went to the grand final in 2013. And I bet there were quite a few other disgruntled dockers fans on here and on Dockerland that went to the grand final too.

Success is great.

Yeah don't know about that. Black, Akermanis, and Power were still around after 2004, as were Bradshaw and Brown, Brisbane still fell in a hole. All were younger than Mundy is now. Black was the same age as Hill and Brown was younger than Fyfe in the 2004 GF.

Unless Lyon has some sort of Voss-equivlent trade table meltdown in a couple of seasons I think we're still better placed than Brisbane. The Fev debacle - and bringing a load of mediocre mercenaries in - was the start of their ongoing cultural issues.

Unless Lyon has some sort of Voss-equivlent trade table meltdown in a couple of seasons I think we're still better placed than Brisbane. The Fev debacle - and bringing a load of mediocre mercenaries in - was the start of their ongoing cultural issues.

I think you're underrating the players clogged mentioned there. An engine room of power, black and akermanis delivering to strong forwards of Brown and Bradshaw would still have been a frightening prospect. Granted bradshaw was no Lynch but they were still incredibly well placed. What they lacked were young key defenders coming through to replace Leppitsch and Mal Michael. They were in a far better spot to deal with the short term results after their retirements than we will be.

Having said that I think we're in a better overall long term position with a small fade away to come until blokes like Pearce and Tanner Smith to replace McPharlin and Johnson, Apeness to replace Pavlich (not saying in any way to the same degree but I'd imagine after 3-4 years loitering in the bottom to mid table bracket we'd structure up differently to their advantage whilst they gain experience) and ultimately Blakely and Weller to fill the Mundy and Danyle Pearce roles. But don't kid yourself: the downswing will come, it's whether or not we have the balls to stick to the kids we do have coming through and any talls we pick up this year or whether we reade out for the quick fix.

As to my earlier involvement in this thread...ugh! Initial post being angry in shock. Then questioning if Lyon was overrated and being sympathetic to Harvey...is there a time portal where I can slap my past self? Although from memory I became less and less angry the more and more I thought of whenever we played Ross Lyons St. Kilda and how well they structured and by the time 2012 had started I was well on board. It was just one huge shock. But still, shithouse effort 2011 me and I'll put my hand up and cop that.

In the end this decision and Lyon's subsequent tenure has unquestionably been exactly what we had been hoping for. Well, without the flag it's still not quite but we're a respected club who has been one of THE teams to beat for the past few years which we almost certainly wouldn't have been under Harvey. It's all down to a complete buy in to a heavily disciplined style that isn't afraid to tweak and adapt throughout the years.

I think you're underrating the players clogged mentioned there. An engine room of power, black and akermanis delivering to strong forwards of Brown and Bradshaw would still have been a frightening prospect. Granted bradshaw was no Lynch but they were still incredibly well placed. What they lacked were young key defenders coming through to replace Leppitsch and Mal Michael. They were in a far better spot to deal with the short term results after their retirements than we will be.

Having said that I think we're in a better overall long term position with a small fade away to come until blokes like Pearce and Tanner Smith to replace McPharlin and Johnson, Apeness to replace Pavlich (not saying in any way to the same degree but I'd imagine after 3-4 years loitering in the bottom to mid table bracket we'd structure up differently to their advantage whilst they gain experience) and ultimately Blakely and Weller to fill the Mundy and Danyle Pearce roles. But don't kid yourself: the downswing will come, it's whether or not we have the balls to stick to the kids we do have coming through and any talls we pick up this year or whether we reade out for the quick fix.

As to my earlier involvement in this thread...ugh! Initial post being angry in shock. Then questioning if Lyon was overrated and being sympathetic to Harvey...is there a time portal where I can slap my past self? Although from memory I became less and less angry the more and more I thought of whenever we played Ross Lyons St. Kilda and how well they structured and by the time 2012 had started I was well on board. It was just one huge shock. But still, shithouse effort 2011 me and I'll put my hand up and cop that.

In the end this decision and Lyon's subsequent tenure has unquestionably been exactly what we had been hoping for. Well, without the flag it's still not quite but we're a respected club who has been one of THE teams to beat for the past few years which we almost certainly wouldn't have been under Harvey. It's all down to a complete buy in to a heavily disciplined style that isn't afraid to tweak and adapt throughout the years.
Brisbane's issue's weren't just the players. They had a very old coach who failed to adjust his style with the changing speed and defensive game plans. I'd say the hunger would be hard to maintain as well after 3 consecutive flags.

If we win three in a row and then fall apart, I won't complain.

Question: Who the hell would bump this thread and for what purpose?

Maybe people can't let bygones be bygones, wouldn't surprise me sadly.

Despite not signing on as a member ever again and having the signature "Heave the Steves, Heave the Steves" he still wanted to go and went to the grand final in 2013. And I bet there were quite a few other disgruntled dockers fans on here and on Dockerland that went to the grand final too.

Success is great.

That is a rather great story to be honest. I'm impressed with the creativity of it. Sadly that's not quite how the story goes so let me correct it.

I eventually came around to the idea of Ross Lyon after we beat Geelong in that Elimination Final of 2012. Irrespective of what I felt towards the administration, I was always going to want to see the team that I love and support in their first Grand Final. Interestingly enough you can love the team but dislike the administration which seems to be a foreign concept to some here.

To clarify the first bit, I actually ended up putting my money where my mouth was and becoming a member this year so that part of your post was woefully inaccurate.

Anyway have a nice day and hope that clarifies things.

Remove this Banner Ad

Harvey gone

Remove this Banner Ad

Back