Harvey & King quit StKilda Football Club

Remove this Banner Ad

stkildathunda

DEMPSTERED
10k Posts St Kilda Saints - Tom Ledger 2012 Player Sponsor St Kilda Saints - Nicholas Heyne 2011 Player Sponsor St Kilda Saints - Nicholas Heyne 2010 Player Sponsor
Sep 7, 2008
Inside The Circle Of Zen
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Man Utd
I think Steven King is the bigger loss for us here. Work with McEvoy was first rate and no doubt the reason behind his breakout season.. hope we can find a good replacement for him...

From Official Saints Facebook

Chief Executive Michael Nettlefold said Robert Harvey’s contribution to the St Kilda Football Club over 25 years has been unparalleled, which made granting his release an extremely difficult decision.

“Robert is, and will always be, welcome at the St Kilda Football Club. He has developed as an assistant coach during his time at St Kilda and there is no reason why Robert can’t realise his ambition to become a senior coach in the future.”

Robert Harvey; “My decision to leave the St Kilda Football Club was a difficult one. I have a great love for the Club and a strong desire to one day return to the Club in the future.”

I think Steven King is the bigger loss for us here. Work with McEvoy was first rate and no doubt the reason behind his breakout season.. hope we can find a good replacement for him...

Yeah, particularly with Watters there (who was a terrific mid) and the Saints needing to milk every ruck trick in the book given our stocks. S. Loewe wasn't too bad for a guy who didn't jump particularly high off he ground (I have said before that I'd love him to do some work generally with Archer).

I have no issue with assistant coaches seeking opportunities elsewhere.

I don't doubt Harves' loyalty to the club; I think he recognised the reason he was eliminated from the Senior Coach race was inexperience at a coaching level, and has set about remedying that.

King has really felt like one of us since joining us from Geelong (in circumstances they should be ashamed of) and there's no question that McEvoy has been the direct beneficiary of his tutelage.

Where does this leave us? Is it just Watters and Kingsley now? Did the Laidley thing ever come to fruition?

Not really much of a surprise and as suspected the rubbish about Harvey sooking and spitting the dummy has proven to be another media beat up.

Don't blame Harvey for going elsewhere if he feels that will help him to become a senior coach, just a shame he will probably be going to Collingwood.

I think Watters should dump Kingsley and choose the assistant coaches himself. Start from a clean slate.

I don't know what Kingsley is like as a coach but might not be a bad idea to just wipe the slate clean and let Watters build his own coaching team from scratch. At least that way he will be working with people he wants to work with.

Harvs is on SEN's The Run Home after 6pm to talk bout why he left our great club

I won't be making a judgement on his decision to leave. Something Watters said on WA radio yesterday struck me, that it was "an indictment on his character to actually suggest" that Harves was upset with the club.

What I will say is that I am tremendously disappointed in the timing of the decision, I mean Christ, the club could use some stability right about now after the last two years we've had.

Going to be difficult to see the great man in the black and white next year... navy blue was bad enough! :(

Having said that - if Robert Harvey has ambitions to coach at the top level one day he needs more experience. And if that includes time away from St Kilda then so be it.

At least we have now avoided some future media fiction that he is undermining Watters because he "covets" the top job. Collingwood for the last 2 years - anyone?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

King has really felt like one of us since joining us from Geelong (in circumstances they should be ashamed of) and there's no question that McEvoy has been the direct beneficiary of his tutelage.

Where does this leave us? Is it just Watters and Kingsley now? Did the Laidley thing ever come to fruition?

What the?
The cats traded him for nothing so that he would get an opportunity elsewhere.
I guess you didn't see him walking onto the MCG on GF day this year carrying the 07 cup?

No animosity there from both sides what so ever.

To the saints supporters having ago at Harvey, go and barrack for another club. have you ever thought that maybe the club asked him to go else where, too benefit in another environment?
get all the facts before commenting and not the shit the media come up with over an over. As saints supporters you should know the media write stuff without getting the facts becuase they are too lazy to do further research.

and harvey did say he wants to come back. Assistant coachs come and go and very rarely stay more then 3 years at anyone club.

Going to be difficult to see the great man in the black and white next year... navy blue was bad enough! :(

Having said that - if Robert Harvey has ambitions to coach at the top level one day he needs more experience. And if that includes time away from St Kilda then so be it.

At least we have now avoided some future media fiction that he is undermining Watters because he "covets" the top job. Collingwood for the last 2 years - anyone?

hes only believe to be going there, nothing is confirmed yet.

hes only believe to be going there, nothing is confirmed yet.

Cmon do you honestly think he hasnt got a job lined up already? What would he do if no other club wants him? Come back to Saints and beg for his job back?

Harvs on SEN's The Run Home

Key factors - Tough couple weeks in having to weigh up his future. Good experience to go through the interview process. Coming to decision was hard.

New coach coming in wants some new talent. Place he's been at for long time. To go further in his coaching future really needed to get out of the Saints

Met Pelchan & Watters and is really comfortable with how decision was made.

Interim coach - Didnt see it as he was next in line. Saw opportunity to put hat in ring to coach Saints. Really felt he could have been coach. Knew he was inexperienced and thought he could swing the vote. No more disappointed then any of the other candidates.

Hard decision to leave the club he loves. Fielded a call from Ross when he left Carlton.

Didnt want to waste to much time, really wants to test himself and get out more. Its more about him wanting to get out.

Harvs still loves the club & wishes them all the success.

Playing group is extremely strong, Watters can have full confidence they will challenge again soon.

Big shock when Ross walked out. Werent ready for it. Players & himself have great admiration of what he has done for club.

King signed as ruck coach at the Western Bulldogs.

As much as I love Harvs, I don't see him as a big loss. I just hope he isn't lost to the club long term and can come back in some capacity in the future.

On a cynical note, Banger might be a jinx. When he was playing in the 2000's we couldn't get past the Prelim under Thomas or Lyon. He goes to Carlton for 2009-2010 and we make the GF both years. He came back in 2011 and we had the year from hell. Sure it's probably only a co-incidence but maybe it's just not meant to be for Harvey and the Saints.

Good luck to both of them, thanks for the work you've done.
I have no doubt we will see Harvey back at the club in some capacity in the future.

How come no peanut has started a "Robert Harvey Hate Thread" yet? :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Harvey & King quit StKilda Football Club

Remove this Banner Ad

Back