Has the standard of umpiring gotten worse in 2007?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 11, 2005
Sydney
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Before everyone screams "Sour Grapes!" after yesterday's match vs Port, let's just ignore that game altogether.

One thing I have noticed however, is that in my mind, the standard of umpiring has deteriorated so badly in 2007 to the extent that they've had a bigger influence on the outcome of matches than ever before.

But I suppose the real question is, is it their fault solely or the people appointing these umpires/making up these new wacky rules?

The standard of the rules has definately got worse. Which in turn makes the umpiring of bad standard.

Any rule that is based on touching someone in a contact sport is laughable.
Im waiting for the AFL to propose allowing hip and shoulders in netball. That's the way these guy's think.

Holding the ball rule should regress to what it was meant to be. Holding/dropping the ball, not this new confusing as **** interpretation they have now, or used as an means to avoid ball ups.

Holding the man penaltys for tackling to long are bullshit also. This only encourages players to "drop" the ball as soon as they feel the tackle, stick both arms up and appeal for holding the man free kicks. This should be dropping the ball every time, but in their wisdom the AFL have created another grey spot where both desisions are correct under new interpretations.

Any rule that is based on touching someone in a contact sport is laughable.

That comment is laughable. You're basically saying players should be allowed to go out and use any means necessary to stop their opponants. If that happened, Aussie Rules would become like Gridiron, with the players wearing more padding than a Sealy Mattress.

NO head high contact = :thumbsu:
NO push in the back = :thumbsu:
NO tripping = :thumbsu:
NO dumping of an opponant behind play = :thumbsu:
NO tackling witout posession = :thumbsu:

That comment is laughable. You're basically saying players should be allowed to go out and use any means necessary to stop their opponants. If that happened, Aussie Rules would become like Gridiron, with the players wearing more padding than a Sealy Mattress.

No, Im saying any free kick in a contact sport based on "touching" someone is laughable.

I will re word it for you.

Any free kick in a contact sport based soley on the placement of your hand regardless of force is laughable.

Holding the ball rule should regress to what it was meant to be. Holding/dropping the ball, not this new confusing as **** interpretation they have now, or used as an means to avoid ball ups.

Holding the man penaltys for tackling to long are bullshit also. This only encourages players to "drop" the ball as soon as they feel the tackle, stick both arms up and appeal for holding the man free kicks.

You've painted a remarkable picture of K.B.
Is he still on the rules committee?

The re-wording of your statement is better, but I still don't agree. I'm sure Hopoate's victims would much prefer he was soft and gentle next time.

Before everyone screams "Sour Grapes!" after yesterday's match vs Port, let's just ignore that game altogether.

One thing I have noticed however, is that in my mind, the standard of umpiring has deteriorated so badly in 2007 to the extent that they've had a bigger influence on the outcome of matches than ever before.

But I suppose the real question is, is it their fault solely or the people appointing these umpires/making up these new wacky rules?

Phil there are only two groups of people who are going to disagree with the statement above.

1) Supporters from teams on the bottom of the ladder, who's only comfort tight now is seeing their enemies get done over by the umps.

2) Complete and utter tools, like this guy ...........

[youtube]5X0J6_PZe0c[/youtube]

Not worse just more inconsistant.
You can't really blame the ump's for inept, pathetic weak rules changes, that's the AFL board that brought unnecessary changes into the umpiring rules.
What the umpires are responsible for is the standard of consistancy during games and this year has been about as bad as it gets.
There have been way too many games where it has been umpired one way for 3qtrs and then frees paid in the last, when the game is on the line, for things that weren't paid earlier in the same game.:confused: That's what annoys me the most.:mad:

Phil there are only two groups of people who are going to disagree with the statement above.

1) Supporters from teams on the bottom of the ladder, who's only comfort tight now is seeing their enemies get done over by the umps.

2) Complete and utter tools, like this guy ...........

[youtube]5X0J6_PZe0c[/youtube]
only the combination of cow pics, effects and weird ass music made that funny lol

Anyway on topic - hard to be consistent with so many rule changes....IMO the rules have gotten worse which have compounded the poor quality of umps over the year - though MOST players should have gotten used to the hands in the back rule by now

Brilliant got it right: in a rules system already overcomplicated and full of contradictions, umpires have been saddled with yet more contentious bullshit, leading to yet more frustration amongst players and spectators and worse umpiring as a result.

Brilliant got it right: in a rules system already overcomplicated and full of contradictions, umpires have been saddled with yet more contentious bullshit, leading to yet more frustration amongst players and spectators and worse umpiring as a result.

not to mention the emergence of ray chamberlain

You need to read a rule book. There is no such rule as dropping the ball. It is either holding the ball or incorrect disposal.

Holding the man penaltys for tackling to long are bullshit also. This only encourages players to "drop" the ball as soon as they feel the tackle, stick both arms up and appeal for holding the man free kicks.

You've painted a remarkable picture of K.B.
Is he still on the rules committee?

The umpires keep their own stats which are independent of either club.
You would probably find that the umpires are as consistent this year as they have been since they brought 3 in (around 1994 I think).

The umpires rarely affect the outcome of a game. It's player decision making or skill errors that decide the outcome.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Has the standard of umpiring gotten worse in 2007?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back