Have Geelong become too powerful?

Remove this Banner Ad

You are really going to pick 2 RFA that had to be traded because their original clubs could match the contracts they were getting at Geelong? Pretty sure they are the only 2 RFA ever to be traded (except those who are traded to avoid diluting compensation like Gunston).

Zach Tuohey? Really, you think he would be on 800k+ ? Grasping here

Rumours had him on 600k at Carlton and Geelong offered more.

Danger 850k
Cameron up to a million.

They matched because they are guns.

Smith, Higgins now Bowes, Bruhn and Henry. also don't come for free not everything has to be 800k plus they can be multiple mid ranged contracts.
These players aren't all leaving their original clubs to be more loyal to Cats and take unders after their original club has looked after them.

It's the 3rd party deals is where I think Geelong are enabling the pay cuts and cap easing.

They hate not knowing. Zero chance they risk unearthing massive cap dodging in more than a dozen clubs.
And of course, since Hawthorn traded away some of its' highest paid players, it wouldn't be included in that dozen clubs that need investigating.

If current clubs are doing it, then surely the Hawthorn Dynasty a few years back was up to its' eyeballs in rorting the cap.

I am not saying it is a Geelong issue, but them being able to afford Bowes does feel a bit odd.
Dahlhaus and Higgins were on half a mil each. Anyone's guess what the captain was on.
We had the money to offer Hopper 600k+. Dare say Bowes is where some of that money has gone.

Danger 850k
Cameron up to a million.

Smith, Higgins now Bowes, Bruhn and Henry. also don't come for free not everything has to be 800k plus they can be multiple mid ranged contracts.
These players aren't all leaving their original clubs to be more loyal to Cats and take unders after their original club has looked after them.

It's the 3rd party deals is where I think Geelong are enabling the pay cuts and cap easing.
Kek, when you are a Collingwood supporter the idea that someone might actually want to play at your club is so foreign there has to be some grand conspiracy to explain it.

Yep. Sydney were not allowed to smooth out Buddy's contract. In fact the AFL made sure that Sydney were expressly forbidden from doing that after we signed him at the end of 2013.
Free Agency always works different to trades though. Trades have 2 clubs minimum and a player mutually agreeing to a transaction.
Free Agency tries to bypass the 2nd club and thus if you're pricing them out of matching then of course altering that contract shouldn't be allowed.

And of course, since Hawthorn traded away some of its' highest paid players, it wouldn't be included in that dozen clubs that need investigating.

If current clubs are doing it, then surely the Hawthorn Dynasty a few years back was up to its' eyeballs in rorting the cap.

I have no idea how many clubs, but we know a number of clubs have been doing it for years.

Possibly Hawthorn. Do you know of any land or pub deals happening? Or partners getting high paid jobs and not actually turning up ?

The AFL needs an amnesty like in the early 90s. Then investigate fully. But they wont because they dont care and they control the media.

Simple question with an obvious answer in my eyes.. YES they have become too powerful!! How is it a team can win a grand final by a huge margin, yet still be able to get their hands on pick 7... and trade in players for peanuts who were previously drafted in the first round, just because they played for the Falcons??

Imagine the media outrage if this was one of the big Melbourne clubs?? Instead, all we hear is how it's all down to good management and culture.. when if this was one of the big Melbourne clubs.. all the media commentary would be about how unfairly advantaged the big Melbourne club is, and what needs to be done to curb said advantages.

This all started when Geelong supporter Steve Bracks got into power and began greasing the wheels for the Geelong Football Club.. and surprise surprise, this has turned Geelong into a powerful.. albeit too powerful, football club.
Imagine the outrage on BigFooty if the swans won the flag by 20 goals then picked up pick 7

2014 - Hawthorn win 2 straight flags and bring in a number 2 draft pick and former AA KPD. 2 years later with another flag and a top 4 finish under their belt they bring in Tom Mitchell - yet to win a Bronlow but already a gun, A 22 year old former ‘mini draft’ #1 pick and Ty Vickery who, as maligned as he was no worse credentialed than players like Henry and Bowes really.

It’s not like we are the first team to be successful and then reinforce their side. The Tigers won a premiership and should have won another and then added Tom Lynch, the Swans were vying with Hawthorn for ‘premiership heavyweight’ bragging rights and brought in buddy and Tippett (when he was decent). Inexplicably they were given a trade ban but it didn’t stop them getting them in the first place.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Danger 850k
Cameron up to a million.

A non-KPD who has never been in an AA team, squad or discussion, best personal achievement is finishing 3rd in a best and fairest at Carlton - on $600k and offered more by us?

I find that hard to believe

Magruder The Old Dark Navy's Aphrodite KohPhi

Surely one of you can set the record straight here. Thought it was common knowledge to all that the opposite is true Re: Tuohy
Not sure on the 600k.. seems a tad fanciful. My recollection is that Carlton low balled Zach with a sub par 3 year deal. He went to the Cats with a 2nd Round pick, and Blues got a future first and either Darcy Lang or Billie Smedts..

Simple question with an obvious answer in my eyes.. YES they have become too powerful!! How is it a team can win a grand final by a huge margin, yet still be able to get their hands on pick 7... and trade in players for peanuts who were previously drafted in the first round, just because they played for the Falcons??

Imagine the media outrage if this was one of the big Melbourne clubs?? Instead, all we hear is how it's all down to good management and culture.. when if this was one of the big Melbourne clubs.. all the media commentary would be about how unfairly advantaged the big Melbourne club is, and what needs to be done to curb said advantages.

This all started when Geelong supporter Steve Bracks got into power and began greasing the wheels for the Geelong Football Club.. and surprise surprise, this has turned Geelong into a powerful.. albeit too powerful, football club.
You do know Geelong were stony broke in 1999 when Steve Bracks first came into office, Gary Hocking even changed his name to "Whiskas" in order to try and make some bucks. Geelong too powerfuL? Nonsense. If anything they should've won 5 flags with the team they had from 2007 -2013. They are unique due to their location, they have their own ground and are a formation club, not sure what anyone wants to do about that? All that has happenned is this, Costa and Cook saved the club financially, they built a great team over years and created stability in the club.

They also did away with the inferiority complex, what i mean about that is, for years Geelong were just happy to be in the compeition, they didn't have the killer instinct, it was almost a boys club and everyone was too nice. Geelong had become ruthless professionals under Cook and Costa as they went about creating a destination football club.
In the 70s and 80s nobbody wanted to go to Geelong unless your career was over, in the 60s they recruited well from interstate but almost all of those great players went home after just a few years, other players went home to the bush or retired by the age of 26 or 27, some even went traveling through Europe during the football season! Geelong were a long way from being Carlton or Richmond in the 1970s, Hawthorn would cream them throughout the 1980s and it wasn't until Malcolm Blight arrived that things started to change. He left and the club went backwards again and by 2003 Geelong finished 12th with just 7 wins!

With that elusive flag finally coming in 2007 they haven't looked back.

They have turned it all around and are no longer the country bumpkins, teams used to complain about playing down there, Richmond even stayed at a hotel the night before the game sometimes in the 70s. Geelong was a backwater, an annoyance on the fixture, but that has all changed and the national competion has saved them as much as the professionalism. Players want to go there now, the lifestyle and the club itself is the attraction, living near the Saloon Bar in South Yarra or equivalent these days doesn't have the appeal anymore. Times have simply changed, players go there to be part of a club that is successful, not sign 7 year $million contacts. Footy fans have wanted them to fall over for the past decade, they may have to wait a little bit longer.....

Last edited:
How do you police things like Eagles players getting free house renovations etc unless Gil turns up a players house to inspect their new 50k kitchen

I am a NSW government employee. My income is published.
Nice and I’m someone who’s gonna work dead end jobs all my life

Bigfooty, all circles of life

I'm not annoyed by their pulling power, that's fine and a product of 17 years of good culture. What annoys me is the AFL's botching of the expansion teams has enriched them so much. The three deals that they've allowed GC to get away with are ridiculous.

Firstly how they generated pick 19 for Steven Motlop as a free agent, so they could keep Ablett from retiring was a joke.

Then they randomly generated the Suns a mid first rounder as a compensation package which was pick 12, they then proceeded to trade that to Geelong for pick 27 for Jeremy Sharp, who they were shopping this draft period, effectively conceding they've botched that selection. Which was in turn was used by Geelong to acquire Cameron. The points value of pick 12 was 1268, the points value of pick 27 is 708. The AFL had previous said pick trades had be within 200 points of each other.

Now they've allowed that same team that's never made finals to mismanage their salary cap so poorly that they had to package up pick 7 with Bowes for a third rounder to Geelong. A player who was getting interest before pick 7 was even floated.

All power to the Cats, but the AFL should be stepping and not allowing this level of ****ery to go on.

Last edited:
No, enjoying a run much like every club has in their history.
They will crash and become irrelevant again like teams do

Remove this Banner Ad

Have Geelong become too powerful?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back