List Mgmt. Have the Cats redefined how to build a Premiership side?

Have the Cats redefined how to build a Premiership side?

• Yes

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • No

Votes: 21 63.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

All this too and fro about strategy, line coaches, resting, etc etc. when the answer is so simple- rort the salary cap.

A prediction- one day it will all come tumbling down. Just like Carltank. You can only ignore the bleeding obvious for just so long.

I’m not on the Cat’s bandwagon.
Let’s not forget they lost a Prelim to Melbourne last year by 80 points.
First week of the finals, they trailed Collingwood for the majority of the game, only for Rohan (???) to step up.
Yes, they dominated after that first week, but I won’t be putting any hard-earned on them going back to back.

Full credit to Geelong. We underestimate just how good Selwood and Hawkins are. Any team with the current free agency can stay up there with those two players at their peak. They timed the run well and got a little lucky with injuries. Hats off.

In 2023, Selwood retiring is a massive loss, both for his on field talents and also leadership. You can cover him for the odd game or so, but not for an extended period of time. Hawkins at 35 amd his current foot issue may just be the end.

Lions, Magpies and Melbourne will overtake them next year, I have no doubt.

For work, we had Chris Scott come and talk to us all - guest/motivational speaker.

Was interesting, as he talked all about the age and perception of the Geelong team and media sentiment around 'too old to win the premiership' which crept into their board. Pressure and conversation from some of the board was around we need to rebuild, Chris and his team were no we don't. So he presented back to them that no team or very rarely has a team bottomed out and gone to the draft to build success again - was a bit hazy here as I'm sure he meant fully relied on the draft to rebuild and challenge again.

Hawthorn - drafted Mitchell, Buddy, Roughy, Hodge, Lewis that built the core and then traded in Gunston, Gibson, Lake, Hale to complete the side. Tigers drafted most of theirs but added Prestia, Lynch.

He twisted 'too old/too slow' to 'most experienced' and showed a graph of where all the clubs sat and their experience level, which clearly showed they were the most. They also spoke about rather than whipping the older players over preseason, what's the point Isaac Smith is already an elite runner he's not going to get any better - they wanted to ensure he maintained that rather than over train him to get a 1% increase. So experienced players, built their own training programs with staff to ensure they could maintain optimal performance. Younger players had individual programs, but that was more about driving improvement.

It was interesting that they believe they can maintain success ongoing, without having to rebuild.

When he showed graphs of average age for 2022 we were one of the highest, got me thinking back to the arguments that followed on here about getting rid of older players vs the keeping experience on field and with training standards. Do we need to rebuild vs replenish the list.

I know our list is different to theirs etc etc, but if we draft well over the course of the next few seasons and then recruit some of the missing pieces there is no reason we can't get back up the ladder in a few seasons.

Nicked from another board.

Back