Review 2024 Season in Review

Have we improved from 2023?

• Yes

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • Kinda?

Votes: 15 48.4%
  • We got worse.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wake me up when we are back in finals.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

In sport, you either win or you learn.

We learned a lot this year.

Trade/Draft/List Management

Coach search

Alesana's video reviews

AFLW starts this week

If you told me we'd win five games and have no 100 point losses I'd take that in a heartbeat from where this team was last year.

But my God, effort from senior players whos names weren't McGovern and Barrass and Yeo in some parts were absolutely diabolical this year...those poor first, second and third year players have so little chance to play well.

If you told me we'd win five games and have no 100 point losses I'd take that in a heartbeat from where this team was last year.

But my God, effort from senior players whos names weren't McGovern and Barrass and Yeo in some parts were absolutely diabolical this year...those poor first, second and third year players have so little chance to play well.

This so much.

And in the other thread we were initially saying hold onto the ‘old blokes’ to show the young ones what is required.

Certainly haven’t been great role models in season 2024 - some may say longer than just this year.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

So now that the year has ended for our mob I wanted to sit down and really take a closer look at our year and see what improvements, if any, we have made over the last 12 months.

In 2023 to recap over the 24 games:
We had 17 losses over 35 points
We had 11 losses over 50 points.
We had 5 of those over 100 points.

Of the 24 matches we played in 2023 only 8 of those matches was the team “in the match” at ¾ time.
To elaborate I'm using within 20 points (or in the lead) as the metric for being in the game. If we are within striking distance irrespective if we win or lose.

Of the 8 we were considered competitive in we got blown away in 2 of those games by 40+
So we only had 6 competitive games for the year (50/50 win rate of those).

Now for 2024.

I think we have significantly improved. It’s still very unbalanced but is better than it was in 2023. We have had less injuries for a start thankfully. Having a more consistent midfield has also helped.

Out of our 24 games this season:
We have had 11 losses over 35 points.
We have had 10 losses over 50 points.
We have had 0 losses over 100 points.

Of the 24 matches played this year we were “in the match” for 12 of the matches.
9 of those 12 matches we were within 15 points (or in the lead) at ¾ time.

Only in 1 of those 12 did we lose by 35 points, every other match was what I would consider reasonable in terms of the margin.
We won 5 of those 12 matches we were competitive in close to that 50% rate of 2023 when we were competitive.

Have we improved?
I’d say we have. Our list continues to undergo changes year on year, the coach is now being replaced, New CEO, With the coach change it’s expected we will see changes in back office as well as in the assistant coaches and development coaches as well.
Hopefully in 2025 we can continue the trend of being in games for longer, reducing the margins in the games we are being blown out in and keeping the conversion rate of wins/competitive games around that 50% mark.

Worst game imo was v Adelaide

That killed the season that effort.

We had just won 2 in a row and looked exciting.

Came out as flat as a noodle and never really got going again.

Don't know what happened in the lead up to that game but it sucked so bad

Reckon if we were super competitive v Adel we couldve come out and roll Saints and North at home and it's a different year

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

If you went back to the expectations at the start of the year, most were saying they would be happy with five wins and no 100 point losses.
Just that sitting through that is harder in reality and we still have so far to go.
That is not "most". It was just "some" in the Bigfooty (a very small minority). The season is well below expectation. (According to the WCE board - if I remember correctly, the Chairman has expected WCE to play final)

That is not "most". It was just "some" in the Bigfooty (a very small minority). The season is well below expectation. (According to the WCE board - if I remember correctly, the Chairman has expected WCE to play final)
That was last season, not this one.

Nobody rational expected us to win more than 5 games.

That was last season, not this one.

Nobody rational expected us to win more than 5 games.
Don't agree.
Paul Fitzpatrick was appointed as chairman late 2022. He did not declare we played final in 2023(Edit : might have said it n 2023 too) . Instead he did mention WCE is expected to play final in 2024. (In one of the media article late 2023/early 2024 off season).
Note: I expect WCE would have a quantifiable and measurable performance plan for the business. The bigfooty Eagles supporters were just using past to predict the future as expectations which can be very different from the business "shareholders".

Last edited:
Don't agree.
Paul Fitzpatrick was appointed as chairman late 2022. He did not declare we played final in 2023. Instead he did mention WCE is expected to play final in 2024. (In one of the media article late 2023/early 2024 off season).
Note: I expect WCE would have a quantifiable and measurable performance plan for the business. The bigfooty Eagles supporters were just using past to predict the future as expectations which can be very different from the business "shareholders".
1724899296830.png

The club, off the wooden spoon, did not spend the preseason saying we will play finals this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Read that with all the player movement (players wanting to leave clubs) these days, 5 year plans are no longer the MO, it's more like 2 year plans to get a rise up the ladder - point being Hawks and Mitchell, although could be said Mitchell is a unique new generation coach.
What are the chances of Eagles with a new coach and therefore probably a change with some assistant coaches, combined with this draft, we see some self-raising action on the ladder in 2025?
Or are we conservatively settling for 5+ wins and a small bump?

View attachment 2095465

The club, off the wooden spoon, did not spend the preseason saying we will play finals this year.
I don't think you are that young to forget the wooden spoon in 2010 and top 4 in 2011 (I am referring to the question in your comic picture).
Note: this is the danger of using past to predict the future (especially the majority of us are only half bottle in statistical forecasting)
As for the 2024 WCE expectation, the media article should be still somewhere in the web (I am pretty sure I have seen it and it is a matter of finding it when I have time).
Edit: if anyone has access to the WCE business plan, it should be spelled out in the plan.

The following article spelled out some measurable expectation from the Dockers. I assume WCE would have something similar.

Last edited:
Last year I noted that for the past 16 years a team from the bottom 4 made the top 8 the following year, every year.
I thought it would be GC or Hawks but flirted with the dream it might be us. Ends up it was the Hawks.

So if this holds true for next year then one of Us, Rich, Nth or Crows will be playing finals next year.
NO WAY it is Richmond and I doubt there is much between us and Nth so either Adelaide play finals next year or there is going to be one hell of a surprise.

As far as this year went I think it was more of a reality check as to where we really are.

Last year I noted that for the past 16 years a team from the bottom 4 made the top 8 the following year, every year.
I thought it would be GC or Hawks but flirted with the dream it might be us. Ends up it was the Hawks.

So if this holds true for next year then one of Us, Rich, Nth or Crows will be playing finals next year.
NO WAY it is Richmond and I doubt there is much between us and Nth so either Adelaide play finals next year or there is going to be one hell of a surprise.

As far as this year went I think it was more of a reality check as to where we really are.
Or the 16 year trend gets broken. I honestly think that's the likely scenario.

I'd give us a C- grade for 2024. We sure did suck at times, but nowhere near as hard as in the 100pt pantsings of last year. We've got Harley, of course, and Ginbey and Hough are developing from promising kids into serious players. It turns out former delisting candidates Jack Williams and Tyrell Dewar are probably going to make it after all. Jake freakin Waterman is AA! Simmo and Gaff are gone, dispelling the stench of death hanging about the club (thank you for your service, guys, but it was time). There's a long way to go, but you'd have to be a wilfully miserable bastard to think we're not finally turning things around.

2024 was kinda an improvement on 2023.

Gov (lesser extent yeo) playing some consistent footy, reminding us of their worth.

The emergence of AA waterman.
Exposing youth like Jwilliams.

Realising ginbey is BETTER playing back.

Not sure what 2025.will.bring. its better to have no expectation to not get dissapointed.

Remember how buzzing it was after the won against the dees and freo. That caused us to shift our expectations and then we got spanked by the crows.

We expected home wins against the saints and norf.and blew it while being competitive against the dons and lions at home.

Some good come from behind wins late in the season then we got reminded we have a long way to go with the last 2 games of the season.

We just gotta stick with it, will make.the rise that much sweeter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review 2024 Season in Review

Back