Have you lost your Job yet in 2009??? What are your prospects for the future???

Remove this Banner Ad

Diesel_2000

Cancelled
Apr 13, 2005
Perth
Other Teams
The Underdog
Have just recently been dropped by two job agencies due to no work available whatsoever. Am lucky to still have a secure part-time job and be studying full-time.

Best of luck in the future to anyone who has been unfortunate to have been let go from their job this year.

I know someone who lost his job recently (I started a thread on it in the Aus Politics forum about his Super).

He's applied to dozens of jobs already and not even getting interviews.

He's typical of many wage earners. Not particularly highly skilled, done a few courses to try to improve himself, but limited scope to do much more.

Has spent much of the past 15 years or so in similar areas around maintenance, site co-ordinator, facilities management, security, front-desk mgmt, etc.

Now he can't get a look in at any of these jobs. They are overwhelming filled by Indians who are satisfied to work on low casual rates with no annual leave or sick leave or job security. That seems unlikely to change.

The dimensions of the catastrophe that is about to befall us is only recently becoming evident. If throwing money at it doesn't work, where then?

My industry has been cactus for 10 months. I'm in construction - at its leading edge. If we're not busy, nothing will happen. Nothing will happen in this area for at least three years.

Haven't lost my job yet, but am fully expecting to do so. Been through four of these economic periods over the past forty years. We are all just pawns.

It is extremely difficult to not be cynical and to resist losing belief in the whole process. I've still not recovered from finding out at the age of fifteen that if I didn't work for the next fifty years, I'd end up being a non-person. I'm deeply sorry I bought the bullshit.

If you're in an industry that is susceptible to falling into the doom and gloom mantra, then research areas of the economy that are currently thriving and try to get into them.

There's no point putting your tail between your legs or crying in your beers. Get off Bigfooty and do some snooping around. You'll find a lot of people make more money when the rest of the plebs are crying poor.

In the words of my first employer "fire up you c****"

If you're in an industry that is susceptible to falling into the doom and gloom mantra, then research areas of the economy that are currently thriving and try to get into them.

There's no point putting your tail between your legs or crying in your beers. Get off Bigfooty and do some snooping around. You'll find a lot of people make more money when the rest of the plebs are crying poor.

In the words of my first employer "fire up you c****"

I'm being realistic, not gloomy. I'm hardly in need of a gee up. If things **** up for you, you will fall further, despite your ill-founded, optimistic, gratuitous advice for others.

Every nay-sayer like you is trying to cushion the fall for the unknowing. I'm trying to expose what's really happening. Be very afraid that you and your w***er urgers are going to be exposed for the vacuity of their mindless denial.

Still, you won't care, you'll have moved on to another class of gullibles by then. Is it offensive for your type to think in other than mindless, empty cliches, in which you treat people as mere objects?

I suppose I am lucky people will always get sick, so they need registered nurses. We have a shortage of them in Australia. I can even get Agency work, in a specific area I want, and the days and shifts I want. To suppliment my normal income.

It is extremely difficult to not be cynical and to resist losing belief in the whole process. I've still not recovered from finding out at the age of fifteen that if I didn't work for the next fifty years, I'd end up being a non-person. I'm deeply sorry I bought the bullshit.

Am very concerned about a few of my mates. The lot of them left school early to get unskilled jobs with little or no job protection. Will be tough watching them struggle when this recession really begins to hit home.

I'm being realistic, not gloomy. I'm hardly in need of a gee up. If things **** up for you, you will fall further, despite your ill-founded, optimistic, gratuitous advice for others.

Every nay-sayer like you is trying to cushion the fall for the unknowing. I'm trying to expose what's really happening. Be very afraid that you and your w***er urgers are going to be exposed for the vacuity of their mindless denial.

Still, you won't care, you'll have moved on to another class of gullibles by then. Is it offensive for your type to think in other than mindless, empty cliches, in which you treat people as mere objects?

You're right in many respects. Things are going to get very rough and very soon. I am fortunate personally, but i am very worried for my kids and a number of friends who are in vulnerable industries. I've got my son going back to trade school to reinvest in some education after his footy career floundered due to injuries. Trades are still in demand, but he's going to have to stand out from the rest if he wants to get noticed.

Primary producers who are already in peril thanks to Coles and Woolies are about to be screwed further by this duopoly, who are demanding bigger rebates, and then this will give them the impetus to just import more food. Large corporates are laying people off in anticipation of how bad the situation will be and small business has almost gone into a total hold on recruitment.

Tighten the seatbelts, it looks like a couple of years before we see any discernible improvement in the outlook. The balance of power toward China is going to get more and more in the coming years as our traditional trading partners struggle to get out of this rut.

Life is like a shit sandwich. The more bread you have the less shit you have to swallow

Yet another example of somebody misunderstanding the phrase "shit sandwich". Don't blame you though, you're closer to its real meaning than most. It stems from a joke (or a throwaway line in passing) told in the seedier parts of Melbourne in the 50s and 60s.

Its original configuration was thus: "I'm so hungry, I could eat a shit sandwich, except I don't like bread".

We've been off for almost a month by the time we start up production again on April 28.After that we switch to either week on/week off or 2 weeks on/2 weeks off,the down time @ 50% pay so i guess a 25% paycut overall.Prospects for the future are dodgy unless people start buying lots of Holdens toot sweet!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably would've been right if it wasn't for my employer losing 75% of a contract that makes up the vast majority of our work. I'll consider myself very lucky if I'm still employed here in 2 months.

Now he can't get a look in at any of these jobs. They are overwhelming filled by Indians who are satisfied to work on low casual rates with no annual leave or sick leave or job security. That seems unlikely to change.
I thought the awarding of short-term visas for these Sub-Continent workers was foolish when it began. Unfortunately for them it's now time to send them back.

Did anyone watch the Insight program on retraining etc this week.

Interesting stuff.

I would recommend any Nursing work. We have a massive shortage of nurses in Australia across all sectors. You can do aged care AIN in under 3 months and be earning again, not flash money but about 20.00 per hour.You can use this experience and money to gain EEN then RN's.Just a thought.

Male Nurses are desperately needed in areas such as ED, Mental Health, ATODS, ICU.

Did anyone watch the Insight program on retraining etc this week.

Interesting stuff.

I would recommend any Nursing work. We have a massive shortage of nurses in Australia across all sectors. You can do aged care AIN in under 3 months and be earning again, not flash money but about 20.00 per hour.You can use this experience and money to gain EEN then RN's.Just a thought.

Male Nurses are desperately needed in areas such as ED, Mental Health, ATODS, ICU.

Been telling people this for ages.A family member is a nurse who now works in recruiting including bringing Chinese nurses and students over because of the shortage.

I lost my job when my workplace burnt down in the bushfires, and have fairly quickly acquired 4 x casual positions (am studying f/t). Have got more work than I know what to do with, been doing double-shifts consistently, going from one workplace to the next. I am a D & A counsellor, which unfortunately is a growth industry, so work prospects are pretty solid.

Would recommend the area to anyone that enjoys being abused, relatively shit money, and very few prospects for advancement.:thumbsu:

Australia hasn't, and won't, see the teeth of this recession. It'll be in last, coast through (relative) and be out first.

Parts of the UK and the US are just ruined at the moment.

FFS - when there's tent cities in Melbourne, or the Commonwealth, ANZ and Westpac have to bailed out by the govt, then have a whinge.

Remove this Banner Ad

Have you lost your Job yet in 2009??? What are your prospects for the future???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back