Having a relationship with one from 'the dark side'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 11, 2005
Sydney
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Reading matty_hawk's post in a separate thread, I was just wondering whether others here are fortunate enough to be in a relationship with someone who also happens to support the Hawks!

When I lived in Melbourne I was in a relationship with a Bombers fan - so yes, that did suck alot (though I remembered to send her two sms's earlier this year when we beat them twice ;)).

But is anyone here married to a supporter of another club - and if you happen to have children, who are they made to support! :p

philhawk said:
Reading matty_hawk's post in a separate thread, I was just wondering whether others here are fortunate enough to be in a relationship with someone who also happens to support the Hawks!

When I lived in Melbourne I was in a relationship with a Bombers fan - so yes, that did suck alot (though I remembered to send her two sms's earlier this year when we beat them twice ;)).

But is anyone here married to a supporter of another club - and if you happen to have children, who are they made to support! :p

My whole family follow collingwood, my GF, she follows Collingwood.... my GFs family, they follow collingwood.

Seriously, if we dont start beating them, i'm walking out em all!

Heropsychodreamer said:
My whole family follow collingwood, my GF, she follows Collingwood.... my GFs family, they follow collingwood.

Seriously, if we dont start beating them, i'm walking out em all!

Gee, you must have copped a fair bit of flack after the Anthony Rocca/Zac Dawson debacle earlier this year. :eek:

My girlfriend of 6 yrs is a massive Eagles supporter, member since '99

It's tough sometimes, especially with WCE on top and HFC struggling, but she never makes a point of being a 'sore winner'.

Trust me there are PLENTY of elitist eagles 'bad winners' out there. PLENTY.

She surprised me a few months back when she bought a female Hawks guernsey with 'BUDDY 23' (her favourite hawk) on the back that she now wears to hawks games just as long as WC aren't inolved.

I think that's pretty awesome.

As I say to her, I could never wear an Eagles guernsey/scarf/beanie etc. but the fact that she does for me is pretty special and i appreciate the support (I think it's just different for guys to wear other teams colours, I would feel dirty!)

When i met my now wife, she knew FA about Aussie Rules as she was from Queensland. Then i met her dad and his wife who live in Sydney and they told me many stories about when they used to sit in the outer at Glenferrie in the 50's and 60's watching the Hawks in some dark hours(before 61!)!
My wife has been coming with me to the footy for the past 5 years. She is fanatical and claims to be born and bred Hawks supporter :rolleyes:

My girlfriend is a Carlton supporter with strong family ties to the club, although at times during the year I've heard here getting excited about the hawks, and even getting quite cranky at the umpiring we have contended with.

Its only a matter of time !

smitchell said:
My girlfriend of 6 yrs is a massive Eagles supporter, member since '99

It's tough sometimes, especially with WCE on top and HFC struggling, but she never makes a point of being a 'sore winner'.

Trust me there are PLENTY of elitist eagles 'bad winners' out there. PLENTY.

She surprised me a few months back when she bought a female Hawks guernsey with 'BUDDY 23' (her favourite hawk) on the back that she now wears to hawks games just as long as WC aren't inolved.

I think that's pretty awesome.

As I say to her, I could never wear an Eagles guernsey/scarf/beanie etc. but the fact that she does for me is pretty special and i appreciate the support (I think it's just different for guys to wear other teams colours, I would feel dirty!)

Sounds great, you two deserve each other, in a good way :thumbsu:

My GF is oblivious to the existence of AFL football, my family know OF it, but know nothing ABOUT it.

My expatriate bloke friends here are footy fans though (the Victorian ones anyway), but they're just too darn busy most of the time to sit down and catch a game on TV together with their jet-setting lifestyle (jet-setting for work, not pleasure :thumbsdown: ), hell, it's a bit like that for me too...

e.g. my best mate and I both missed watching the G Final live because of work... I had to record it and watch it 1.5 days later when I got back to Hong Kong, meanwhile avoiding AFL websites like the plague until I finished watching the recording... :D

My girlfriend and her entire family barrack for the Crows :( Don't worry i'm working on getting her converted to Hawthorn. She already knows more Hawk players then Crows. She also has a soft spot for Crawf :D

DynamoUltra said:
My girlfriend used to barrack for Essendon. When I say used to, well, I converted her to Hawthorn. :)

Same here... my wife was a fair-weather Saints supporter and is now a 5 year Hawks Member.

The girl I'm seeing atm is a massive Swannies fan. And that's way cool, they're my 3rd favourite side, and we talk Footy all the time. It woulda been ****MUCH**** worse if she'd been a big thugby or puff-ball fan.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

this is great. i was inspiration for a thread. well like i said my girl goes for the hawks. she wasnt too big on footy before this year (we started going out new years eve) but she had family who went for us so she followed suit. i let her wear my heritage jumper to games. i got it in 2003 when it came out. best investment ever :)
ive made it my mission to convert people, my last girlfriend was collingwood, and is now a hawk (last time i spoke to her). one of my best mates was a richmond supporter and i have finally turned him (although he wasnt much on footy to beging with).

so by next year i will have been directly involved in 4 membership sales this year... feels good to help the team.

My wife is a mad Hawk fan I go for Nth. We have 2 boys who also go for Nth. My wife is up the duff at the moment and we know we are having a girl, I said being a girl let her go for the hawks so she can go along to games with her mum (not that we dont need the members). But my wife said no let her go for the roos like her brothers, that was untill one day she calls me at work after buddy kicks 6 and says "she's going for the hawks and shes wearing buddy's no."

I actually go for the hawks except when we play them because if the hawks lose the wife gets the ****s. So go the hawks in 07 except when you play the roos.

ralphwiggum said:
Ideally, it wasn't a snug fit on her... ;)

very ideally. i am a skinny guy, but becuase im so tall i got a pretty big top. shes about 4 inches shorter and thin

vb_is_4_me said:
that was untill one day she calls me at work after buddy kicks 6 and says "she's going for the hawks and shes wearing buddy's no."

I actually go for the hawks except when we play them because if the hawks lose the wife gets the ****s. So go the hawks in 07 except when you play the roos.

Hahahahahaha that's hilarious!

Numerous 'benefits' associated with the Hawks winning for you. :p

Cool off season thread....

My girlfriend of four years is with the enemy in Essendon.

I did manage to get here to wear one of my scarfs to a match against St Kilda, and I guess it is fair to say that they are her second team. I am such a fanatic that she knows more Hawthorn players than Essendon. Maybe one day she will come to her senses.

She also reckons that the Hawks have the best looking list. Can't say I care for the looks. Any homos out there want to second that??? Also, she named our cat Croady, I gleefully obliged in agreeance.

Lastly, my sperm will only be spent to create a little Hawkers!! No choice, unless he/wants to disown me!!

Dark side..

How much darker does it get than Carlton???

My oldest daughter supports Hawthorn, like myself.

My youngest daughter supports Carlton, same as my wife.

As strange as it sounds, they picked their teams themselves.

The oldest is 13 and the youngest turned 11 yesterday. Talk about being born at the wrong time for Hawthorn and Carlton, although we are improving.

By the time I was 13, I had seen 3 flags.

I'm proud of them both, at least they stick by their teams.

For obvious reasons, I don't talk football much with my wife these days, a big change from when I started going out with her in 1984. We went to finals matches every year back then....those were the days.

Bring it on boys.

Haha yes my partner is a Crows fan. So as you can imagine when they face of all hell breaks lose. I said that I would die, before I let our children support the Crows. So we're kind of thinking mutual teams, we each don't mind like Melbourne, West Coast or Geelong.

my gf and our 5 children are all hawthorn members.

She used to barrack for brisbane. Still has a soft spot for them but goes hawks over bris. now days.

The children just grew up as hawks members so they didnt really have a choice. But none of them have ever complained and are getting more fanatical than me.

The oldest daughter (14) thinks changa is HOT.:( but :cool:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back