Preview Hawks v Pusscats : Changes and predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've got Hale, Schoenmakers, Suckling, and Duryea all who are badly out of form over the last month. We can't go into the finals carrying four players who are not doing enough to justify their place in the team.

A win here against the Cats would not only guarantee us a home final but we go into this years finals with good form and some confidence knowing we just beat a team that we have struggled against over the years.

Lake and Gunston will benefit with another game to get them back into full fitness/form. Spangher is back in this week so hopefully our back six can now start to gel and get that continuity going before the finals.

Reported on cats board, Scott flew to Perth to watch the game. Probably another reason for Clarko not to show too many cards. If any coach has some cards up his sleeve, it would be ours I would think. To me he seems to lead, and the others follow.

Reported on cats board, Scott flew to Perth to watch the game. Probably another reason for Clarko not to show too many cards. If any coach has some cards up his sleeve, it would be ours I would think. To me he seems to lead, and the others follow.

Could be a long night for smith, hill and birch
Just another reason lither needs to come back in

Gus and Billy would certainly make us much quicker, and have Scott scratching his head.
We have to avoid bombing to their backs, and giving them easy outs.

Clarkson should look to go with a smaller-quicker forward set-up. We should have two tall forwards and four smalls (Burgoyne, Hill, Breust and Puopolo) we can certainly expose Geelong at ground level inside 50. Our forwards should be instructed to clear the space and allow Jack Gunston to be isolated 1:1 at full forward in which he can be very dangerous. Gunston has a very good record against Geelong and I'd back him in to beat Lonergan.

Last edited:
I would still prefer Sewell over Langford come finals.
Both have poor disposal, but Sewell's big body and experience still puts him ahead.
Lithers need to play well if he comes in for Suckers or Duryea.
I reckon they will give Hale one more week before giving Cegs another go.

Lithers will play well...he didn't do anything wrong when he was 'omitted'!
Hale has already had 3 weeks (without Ceglar) to prove himself (like Lithers, Ceglar didnt do anything wrong yet he was omitted)...I think he's had more than enough time and being at the game on Sunday he was as slow as a wet week...we need mobility to compete with the likes of the other rucks.

I hope the ins include Litherland and Ceglar and the game plan precludes bombing the high ball into our forward line which suits the Cats' contested marking strengths.

Lithers will play well...he didn't do anything wrong when he was 'omitted'!
Hale has already had 3 weeks (without Ceglar) to prove himself (like Lithers, Ceglar didnt do anything wrong yet he was omitted)...I think he's had more than enough time and being at the game on Sunday he was as slow as a wet week...we need mobility to compete with the likes of the other rucks.

Even if they were both at 50/50 at this point, wouldn't Ceglar be a better option simply due to the 6 day rest and travel factor. You could argue the same for Billy and Gus this week, and if they all can prove themselves worthy against the cats, they should have a real chance of playing finals.

Interesting listening to Chris Sc:eek:tt (see what I did there?;)) on 3aw last night. He basically said they'll hold a few things back, tactically I assume, due to the fact that it's likely they'll face us again in September.

I wonder if we'll do the same.

Seems to be far more confidence on the Geelong board than here. Another reason why we have to smash them.

What is their record, 11 of the last 13 or something ridiculous?
They should be confident.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This may not be a dead rubber if Sydney lose to Richmond in Round 23. The loser of Hawks/Cats game could very well be playing QF in Sydney, surely not an attractive proposition. The Sydney/Richmond clash on the other hand could end up being a 'must win' for the Tiges and of no consequence (read 'bruise free') to the Swans. I have a feeling neither us nor the Cats will be taking any chances on Saturday.

Interesting listening to Chris Sc:eek:tt (see what I did there?;)) on 3aw last night. He basically said they'll hold a few things back, tactically I assume, due to the fact that it's likely they'll face us again in September.

I wonder if we'll do the same.

Quoted for truth and accuracy!

It wouldn't be the first time. Clarko is loyal - he stuck with the heroes of 08 such as Ladson and Osborne much longer than he really should have. No doubt the same is happening now with Hale.

Interestingly at Hawks function a few weeks back, it was said that a couple of the newer assistant coaches in 2011/12 took him to task for this.

That's probably the biggest flaw of Litherland's game at the moment.

I think that's the reason Gus was dropped.

He is a very long kick but he's not an accurate kick.

I think that's the reason Gus was dropped.

He is a very long kick but he's not an accurate kick.
this is why Shoenmakers, Suckling and Duryea are playing and guys like Litherland and Cheney arnt, we should all know by now Hawthorn rate kicking efficiency and decision making in kicking ahead of everything else, its also why langford is still line ball to retain his spot and why Spanger is also line ball- his kicking efficiency has actually improved this year and therefore he has gone up in the coaching staffs estimations

It wouldn't be the first time. Clarko is loyal - he stuck with the heroes of 08 such as Ladson and Osborne much longer than he really should have. No doubt the same is happening now with Hale.

Interestingly at Hawks function a few weeks back, it was said that a couple of the newer assistant coaches in 2011/12 took him to task for this.

Who said it?

Interesting

Don't think that's confined just to the cats board
I don't think that there's any over confidence our way, (except for the usual suspects ..). Sportsbet has the Hawks very firm favorites, and rightly so. You have been the form team all year, you don't lose that in a week. I just expect a close encounter as usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back