Hawthorn FC worst nightmare the 2017 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

A brilliant evening, thanks for asking.

Makes the start of 2017 all the more interesting for mine...as I said they made moves that were all about the now, yet gameplay was shit.

Hard to disagree about the way we were playing, but disagree that the moves made by the club were all about the now. Trying to stay competitive right now was part of the reason for getting TOM/JOM in, but you can't say that move is all about the now in the same way that a traditional 'top up' is. Tom Mitchell was 23 and O'Meara was 22 when we traded them into the club. That is a now+8 years decision not just a right now decision. In comparison I'd call trades like Lake a much more purely 'now' decision. It was a gamble from the club, especially looking at what we gave up for JOM and his knee issues, but given in 2017 we drafted Worpel, and traded in Impey, the 2017 trade/draft period wasn't even that painful. Basically the 2016 and 2017 draft/trade period brought in:
- Tom Mitchell
- O'Meara
- Impey
- Worpel
- Morrison

Very clearly not the nightmare period some predicted at the time. Unlcear if Worpel is going to make it long term, but with 32 possessions in his 5th game, and promising performances in most of his other 5 games it seems more likely that not. Morrison also looks super poised for a kid with 17 games under his belt, and well deserved his rising star nomination on the weekend. Morrison was the 4th last kid picked in the 2016 draft. Another late pick that year, Mitchell Lewis (second last picked) , has had a promising first year. No influence in the seniors, but is kicking 3 goals in the VFL most weeks, which is a decent effort for a immature bodied 1st year KPF. I'd be very happy if every 12 month period was nailed as well as that one was.

Last edited:
Does the optimism abate if they miss the finals? Does it explode if they don't? I reckon they'll stay in. I still think Worpel/Impey isn't that exciting relative to what other clubs brought in in 2017.

This season is nuts. Beat Geelong and in the mix for the top 4, lose and it becomes a challenge to hold on to a top 8 spot.

Will be an interesting last 3. Geelong (11 wins) & Sydney (12) were both nailbiters last time. Haw/Geel, Melb/Syd & WC/Port all important to the make up of the 8 this week. I obviously want my own team to win but part of me wants to see Geelong, Sydney and North all win just to continue the chaos. Collingwood and GWS losing would also make it interesting.

You'll watch the draft anyway, and finally they'll get to your pick - although you can be guaranteed by that point they'll be interviewing the excited family of one of the top 10 draftees and they won't actually show it live. And it will be some player you've never heard of.

If I ever watch the draft, please, for the love of God, someone come around and put a bullet in the back of my head. I cannot think of anything sadder.

If I ever watch the draft, please, for the love of God, someone come around and put a bullet in the back of my head. I cannot think of anything sadder.

Each to their own man. I have a few mates who would say the same thing about posting thoughts and conversing with complete strangers on a forum dedicated to a sport...

But the saints won the draft!! Just ask that Troy ‘ I’m not as smart as I make out to be ‘ luff or whatever his name is!! So many list managers going around that sprout this and that all the while Clarko and GW go Whooshka!!!!!

593.gif

Jarman+Impey+Hawthorn+Hawks+Training+Session+whwF9Z46HHXl.jpg

It's not how big (read: good) your picks are, it's what you do with them ;)

Blake Hardwick: 2015 national draft pick 44
Harry Morrison: 2016 national draft pick 74
James Worpel: 2017 national draft pick 45

That's three players who weren't first round picks in the last three years that are now well truly in the Hawks best 22. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it's good that Hawks fans have their 3peat DVDs, but I can say from personal experience reminiscing about the past is **** all value compared to having hope for the future.

I know from recent experience as a footy fan it's a long, cold winter when your team is shit and you have no prospect of any genuine success. During these difficult times, though, the football tragic always has the draft. Instead of getting excited by results, you get excited by young footballers. Instead of closely following the match reports, instead you forensically follow the carnival results, the phantom drafts, the players who are roaring up the rankings. You picture each of those chosen few kids, the bright-eyed, strapping young men who have the clarity of innocence; who never having made an error at AFL level, become vessels for all your hopes and dreams, as you wallow in their descriptions as "the next Judd", or "the next Hird", or "the next Bont".

Then, as the endless season finally draws to its less than thrilling conclusion, your interest ramps up as the champs start, the junior carnivals, and that next big thing makes him move. Whatever happens, you are going to get one of these young colts and he will be magnificent!

And draft day finally rolls around, and there's 10 kids on stage wearing the clubs jumpers, and you know you've got a superstar. The only question is, will he play round 1? When will he get that inevitable RS nom? It's so very exciting. It's hope!

Imagine going through all of that and your first pick is circa pick 35. All the good talent is looong gone by that point. The phantom drafts don't even bother pretending to have any chance of getting it right at that point. It's a crap shoot. Sure, you may get lucky. You may pull a rabbit out of a hat. But you know, deep down, you probably won't. You'll watch the draft anyway, and finally they'll get to your pick - although you can be guaranteed by that point they'll be interviewing the excited family of one of the top 10 draftees and they won't actually show it live. And it will be some player you've never heard of. You'll check out the phantom drafts, and all you'll see will be a paragraph or two of generic comments.

And that will be it. 9 months of going through it all over again before you finally even start to get the sniff of hope that you crave.

So I'm glad the Hawks fans have their 3peat DVDs, and they can put them on and remember better times. But it's a shit substitute for hope, and it's going to be an extra long year as a result. I wouldn't want to be in their shoes that's for sure. But, I know, DVDs! ;)

This was a great post. One of your best, and you have plenty of good ones. So I almost feel bad dredging it up now. However, I'm sitting here , the final round nearly over, and I'm feeling more than just a little hopeful. To be honest, I felt a flicker of hope watching the draft too. Worpel looked pretty good for pick 45. A true rabbit out of the hat wouldn't you say? The flicker became a steady flame after his rising star nomination. Hopeful for Morrison too after his rising star nomination (pick 74 the year before).

Hawthorn truly are exceptional, and their fans probably don't fully appreciate how lucky they are. As I sit here awaiting our qualifying final and contemplating the unlikely dream of 3 more wins for the season, it dawns on me that Hawthorn has become a perpetual hope machine. Sure, we may go out in straight sets, but with 2 finals into our kids, I'll walk away hopeful for next season. So don't worry too much about us Lance, I think we'll cope. When you support Hawthorn, hope springs eternal it seems. The 3peat DVDs are just a bonus.

it's good that Hawks fans have their 3peat DVDs, but I can say from personal experience reminiscing about the past is **** all value compared to having hope for the future.

I know from recent experience as a footy fan it's a long, cold winter when your team is shit and you have no prospect of any genuine success. During these difficult times, though, the football tragic always has the draft. Instead of getting excited by results, you get excited by young footballers. Instead of closely following the match reports, instead you forensically follow the carnival results, the phantom drafts, the players who are roaring up the rankings. You picture each of those chosen few kids, the bright-eyed, strapping young men who have the clarity of innocence; who never having made an error at AFL level, become vessels for all your hopes and dreams, as you wallow in their descriptions as "the next Judd", or "the next Hird", or "the next Bont".

Then, as the endless season finally draws to its less than thrilling conclusion, your interest ramps up as the champs start, the junior carnivals, and that next big thing makes him move. Whatever happens, you are going to get one of these young colts and he will be magnificent!

And draft day finally rolls around, and there's 10 kids on stage wearing the clubs jumpers, and you know you've got a superstar. The only question is, will he play round 1? When will he get that inevitable RS nom? It's so very exciting. It's hope!

Imagine going through all of that and your first pick is circa pick 35. All the good talent is looong gone by that point. The phantom drafts don't even bother pretending to have any chance of getting it right at that point. It's a crap shoot. Sure, you may get lucky. You may pull a rabbit out of a hat. But you know, deep down, you probably won't. You'll watch the draft anyway, and finally they'll get to your pick - although you can be guaranteed by that point they'll be interviewing the excited family of one of the top 10 draftees and they won't actually show it live. And it will be some player you've never heard of. You'll check out the phantom drafts, and all you'll see will be a paragraph or two of generic comments.

And that will be it. 9 months of going through it all over again before you finally even start to get the sniff of hope that you crave.

So I'm glad the Hawks fans have their 3peat DVDs, and they can put them on and remember better times. But it's a shit substitute for hope, and it's going to be an extra long year as a result. I wouldn't want to be in their shoes that's for sure. But, I know, DVDs! ;)

The critics rave....

"A triumph!"

"I laughed, I cried..."

"If you only read one of Lance's posts this year, make it this one!"

If 17 other teams picked up Morrison, Worpel and Hardwick picks 10-30 with how they’ve performed they would be saying what a steal they were.....incredible to think Morrison was 70+ and Hardwick/Worpel were 40+.....almost feel sorry for teams like the blues and saints who would have seen the majority of their first to third round picks every year over the past decade either be delisted or traded.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn FC worst nightmare the 2017 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back