Hawthorn tassie future

Remove this Banner Ad

Mr Tassie

Senior List
Mar 25, 2024
AFL Club
Tasmania
With the tassie team entering the afl in 2028 do people believe Hawthorn will still keeping playing games there considering we have 10,000 members there and are still getting decent crowds?

Hawk leaders have been on record saying they want to maintain a presence in Tassie. Will no doubt try and turn it into a bit of a grudge match with the Devils in future years (possibly pencil in 2 games a year initially). At least the Gov tap will be turned off for them but the games will be sellouts

Hawk leaders have been on record saying they want to maintain a presence in Tassie. Will no doubt try and turn it into a bit of a grudge match with the Devils in future years (possibly pencil in 2 games a year initially). At least the Gov tap will be turned off for them but the games will be selloutsI
I think a game in both Hobart and Launceston would be the way to go.

Think it logically makes sense to keep the presence there somehow, if we can.

I’ve made the trip down a number of times and the support we get down there is great - and I can’t wait to see the Tassie team in action!

I think in an ideal world, we’d play 2 home games a year in Launceston, with 1 guaranteed to be vs the Devils to try to create a bit of a rivalry in the early years.

An away game v Hawks in Launceston and an away game v North in Hobart make sense in terms of using the upgraded York Park and the new Hobart stadium to the max. With a gather round every 2 years in Tassie too we could see 13/14 games a season for the Devils in Tassie.

It looks very likely Hawthorn will continue playing in Tasmania when they get their afl team but possibly only two games instead of the four.

It looks very likely Hawthorn will continue playing in Tasmania when they get their afl team but possibly only two games instead of the four.
This I doubt very much. The AFL have wanted to move Hawthorn out of Launceston before. Now we are actually getting a team they'll not want them taking money away from the Devils program. The AFL make the fixture, so I fail to see how/why they'll allow any financial relationship to continue to benefit Hawthorn post 2028.

Reports suggest Hawks have asked to play two games in Cairns along with some kind of academy/priority access to players from that region.

Gowers has said that we want an ongoing presence in Tassie, which could be a home game or an annual away game.

Given that we have no chance of any academy access to Queensland players, I can see us shooting for one game in Cairns and maybe one game in Launceston hosting the Devils. Once the club realises that playing the Devils gives up all home ground advantage, I don’t reckon that will last.

In the interim, with York Park being redeveloped in 25 and/or 26, and North being on the nose in Hobart, I would like to see North gone from Hobart and Hawks to play two games in each of Launceston and Hobart until 2027.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn tassie future

Remove this Banner Ad

Back