Other Help Me Pick an NFL Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Help me pick a team!

Also, whilst the Browns havent won a superbowl, they've won a half-dozen or so NFL titles before the NFL-AFL merger, and their dynasty was probably the greatest of all time during Paul Brown's era.

I saw that, it's nice to know we've had some success in the past. Also looks like I picked a team with some decent history behind it, now I just have a fair bit of reading up to do...

What sort of season can I expect from the Browns? Have I picked a good time to jump on board, or should I be strapping myself in for a long ride?

Re: 17 Rookies signed up already!

Hey newbies, (Chris25, Millington Magic, loyallion, ashley12)

I don't wish to interupt your meaningful discussion of deciding who Sunday Red
ought to take as his new team... so I'll cut to the chase..

We (NFL regulars) have heaps on fun during the season with many
discussions about the upcoming draft, go into Fantasy football mode by June and then there is a lil' comp we run..
it's become such a hive of activity where the honey = REAL FAST CA$H at the end of the regular season.

So here I am, just a regular joe poster.. extending a warm invitation to the newbies to check out the AE. What is the AE ?? Good question..

well.. it's something that makes this forum one of best on Big Footy.. hey.. even if it wasn't true, I'd wouldn't deny that.

So.. if you guys want to get involved.. STEP THIS WAY << click link.

Enjoy the RIDE on our NFL/ American Football boards.

What sort of season can I expect from the Browns? Have I picked a good time to jump on board, or should I be strapping myself in for a long ride?

this :D

I saw that, it's nice to know we've had some success in the past. Also looks like I picked a team with some decent history behind it, now I just have a fair bit of reading up to do...

Who knows where Brady Quinn might take you? Actually, I really mean that. After he got drafted, I lost track of him.

Just watched NFL films 'Sea of hands'.....that play still gives me shivers. Awesome finish to a game. Clarence Davis, the worst hands in football, brilliant. Watching some of those NFL films docos can really give you a sense of teams history. Just dont watch the imacculate reception :(

Just watched NFL films 'Sea of hands'.....that play still gives me shivers. Awesome finish to a game. Clarence Davis, the worst hands in football, brilliant. Watching some of those NFL films docos can really give you a sense of teams history. Just dont watch the Imacculate reception :(

Don't forget the Steelers own the Immaculate Interception, Immaculate Tackle & Immaculate Reception ptII. :p

Good on ya Chris. Your right about the history - the Browns are one of the most storied franchises in the NFL.

Its fair to say that the last 10 years have been pretty hard for Browns fans, we're rebuilding for about the 4th time in 10 years. The 10-15 years prior to that were filled with missed opportunities (thank you Denver :mad:).

It'll be an up and down season (again). We've got a relatively weak schedule but with a new coach, blooding of some youngsters and free agents I'm hoping for a for about 5 or 6 wins, 7 or 8 if everything goes well.

As a Freo supporter, you'll understand this when I say that alot of other people like to hang shit on the Browns (more specifally the coach) but that just make the wins sweeter. Remember, even the Pats and Cards sucked badly sometime during their history.

Who knows where Brady Quinn might take you? Actually, I really mean that. After he got drafted, I lost track of him.

He rode the pine in 2007 when Anderson had a pro bowl season. Got a few games last year and showed a bit. Apparently out performing Anderson in camp so will probably be a starter this year

Only in so far that they'd be easy choices for someone looking for a team.

I don't think supporting the Pats is an easy thing to do. Selling your soul to the devil and turning into an absolute w***er I find is a very hard thing to do.

They are in a very tough division with the Steelers and Ravens, so even if they do have a better season than last year it's going to be pretty easy for them to miss the play-offs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think supporting the Pats is an easy thing to do. Selling your soul to the devil and turning into an absolute w***er I find is a very hard thing to do.

Correction

I don't think supporting the Jets is an easy thing to do. Selling your soul to the devil and turning into an absolute w***er I find is a very hard thing to do.:thumbsu:

No, the Browns history didnt go with the Ravens. Browns history was continued on and is owned by the current Browns franchise.

You tell em GG.
Once the personnel left all the memoribilia and records was held by an NFL archivist and not allowed to be used by the ravens. They learnt from the colts debacle.

Yep, it was a special circumstance too given Modell stabbed Cleveland in the back without them even knowing.

The Oilers moving to Tennessee is an ordinary normal one. Same with Rams from LA to St Louis, Raiders to LA then back to Oakland, plus all the billion other franchise relocations that have occured over the century, where the franchise continues the history.

But the Browns one especially was a special circumstance. Ravens in the end considered an expansion franchise. And Browns continuation of the former Browns.

It's also interesting that Baltimore is at the center of all this with the Colts too. They too got stabbed in the back, and the greatest Colt of them all, Johnny Unitas refused to consider the Indianapolis Colts the same Colts franchise. Many fans still think that way.

Gotta say tho, that Indianapolis is one of the best cities in the US, and the people there are absolutely great people.

So it should, well said GG, and consider this.. the Steelers were the Browns whipping boys for an eternity until 1989 (when I got onboard the Steelers).. Browns last swept the Steelers in 1988 and the season opener in 1989 the Browns completely DESTROYED the Steelers 51-zip in 'da Burgh! :eek: :eek:

Since Cowher (1992), the Steelers are 25-5. Overall Steelers lead the series 57-55.

Browns series record against other clubs as follows:

Lead Arizona 33-12-3
Lead Atlanta 10-2

Trail Baltimore 7-13
Lead Buffalo 9-5
Trail Carolina 0-3
Lead Chicago 9-4
Trail Cincinnati 35-36
Lead Dallas 15-11
Trail Broncos 5-17
Trail Detroit 4-13

Trail Green Bay 7-9
Tied with Houston Texans 3-3
Lead Indianapolis 13-12
Trail Jacksonville 3-8
Tied with Kansas City 9-9-2
Trail Miami 6-7
Trail Minnesota 3-9

Lead New England 11-9
Lead New Orleans 11-4
Lead NY Giants 26-19-2
Lead NY Jets 12-7

Trail Oakland 7-10
Lead Philadelphia 31-15-1
Tied StLouis/ LA Rams 9-9
Trail San Diego 7-13-1
Lead San Francisco 11-6
Trail Seattle 5-11
Lead Tampa Bay 5-2
Lead Tennessee / Houston Oilers 33-27
Lead Washington 33-10-1

No, the Browns history didnt go with the Ravens. Browns history was continued on and is owned by the current Browns franchise.

what i meant was the organisation was relocated to baltimore.

the new team in cleveland may retain all the records of the browns franchise. but Bisciotti's Baltimore organisation is the going concern of the original brown's organisation. we all know that, and shouldnt beat around the bush just because Modell made a deal with Cleveland to leave the colours, name and history in that city. everything else - the people and the organisation know-how - went to Baltimore. this is no different to all the other relocations within the NFL.

the organisation running the cleveland browns franchise today is an expansion to the NFL.

what i meant was the organisation was relocated to baltimore.

the new team in cleveland may retain all the records of the browns franchise. but Bisciotti's Baltimore organisation is the going concern of the original brown's organisation. we all know that, and shouldnt beat around the bush just because Modell made a deal with Cleveland to leave the colours, name and history in that city. everything else - the people and the organisation know-how - went to Baltimore. this is no different to all the other relocations within the NFL.

the organisation running the cleveland browns franchise today is an expansion to the NFL.

The bolded part is the key. Modell's organization became the expansion team. Legally and spiritually giving up all history and attachment to the Brown's name, colors, everything. Those things held in lieu in a legal promise to the city of Cleveland to get their team back.

In other words, the short-cut pov is that the Ravens is the same franchise and the Browns is a new franchise. But it's actually the reverse legally and everything. It was done that way when it happened. The current Browns isn't a new franchise, just a revived one.

Good on ya Chris. Your right about the history - the Browns are one of the most storied franchises in the NFL.

Its fair to say that the last 10 years have been pretty hard for Browns fans, we're rebuilding for about the 4th time in 10 years. The 10-15 years prior to that were filled with missed opportunities (thank you Denver :mad:).

It'll be an up and down season (again). We've got a relatively weak schedule but with a new coach, blooding of some youngsters and free agents I'm hoping for a for about 5 or 6 wins, 7 or 8 if everything goes well.

As a Freo supporter, you'll understand this when I say that alot of other people like to hang shit on the Browns (more specifally the coach) but that just make the wins sweeter. Remember, even the Pats and Cards sucked badly sometime during their history.

don't trust a team called the browns who wear orange helmets! if you want to join the dark side of the force, i suggest you make the pilgrimage to the pacific northwest= seattle seahawks! coffee, microsoft, boeing, nirvana, pearl jam, soundgarden.... lot's to like about seattle!

Remove this Banner Ad

Other Help Me Pick an NFL Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back