Help us improve the navigation at AFL.com.au

Remove this Banner Ad

Biggest gripe with the afl site currently is poor video quality and streaming performance, otherwise not too bad. Stadium info the strangest from the survey, didn't make sense to me where it was housed.
Agree. A 5 minute video of a press conference takes about 8 minutes to buffer. I end up opening them in new window, then doing something else while I wait.

Otherwise, there is just too much stuff on the main page, and it takes an age to load. Then if you navigate to game replays, it takes another age, then wait for the videos to buffer....

If I click on the Guardian website, it loads in a few seconds and then I can navigate to other sections quite quickly. The AFL website I only use if I really have to.

Load times and the volume of content on the home page are things we're now actively working on, too!

As for the quality of video, there are limitations of what we can do due to existing broadcast rights agreements, but we plan to make improvements wherever and whenever possible.

Suma Magic, can you explain what sort of policy information you're after specifically?

Yeah seriously improve the video quality and reliability for the Smart Replay. Given the television networks are stuck in the dark ages of standard definition, It would be good if the AFL offered their video in 480, 720 and 1080p resolution. Hell I'd be happy with just 720p. That alone would be a massive improvement. I'm sick and tired of football always looking like shit on a new television. It's nearly 2015 ffs.

Load times and the volume of content on the home page are things we're now actively working on, too!

As for the quality of video, there are limitations of what we can do due to existing broadcast rights agreements, but we plan to make improvements wherever and whenever possible.

Suma Magic, can you explain what sort of policy information you're after specifically?

Therein lies the massive, massive problem.

The league's administration are hell-bent on making the league the nation's clear number one, but they're so short-sighted that that fail to safeguard against 20th century technology for a 21st century world.

Can only fathom the outrage if they don't address this for the next right's arrangement.

(completed the survey, btw).

Thanks for the feedback guys, it is appreciated! The matter of stadium information is an interesting one. Some people expect to find it merely as part of the fixture detail in regards to geographical location, but the other popular model for seeking that information is rooted in wanting to understand transport, seating maps and so-on.

In regards to AFL administration items, such as policies, they're currently sitting within aflcommunityclub.com.au and/or linked to from the AFL footer. We're currently re-evaluating where that content is and how it's surfaced, as well.

As some food for thought, Cricket Australia have just recently very clearly defined two sites, one for each of those broad buckets of content. Cricket.com.au is their media and match source, while cricketaustralia.com.au houses the sporting body's administration related information.
Whatever you do, don't make it even remotely like the 'updated' CA website. That's an absolute mess. Please use people who know about the sport if you are in need of updating.

That survey needed a 'none of these make immediate sense to me' option (or at least a 'I'd have it under this heading, but none of those subheadings' option).

It wasn't too hard to find where you intended me to look if I clicked around enough, but that doesn't mean I found it a sensible location. It's just that the other options were even worse.

This! Particularly the second half of the quiz.

All of your clicks are recorded, Mr. Eagle, including into each heading.

As an example, if the question was about watching a replay and you went into "Video" first, but then had to jump back out and go to the "Watch Matches" heading, we now have an indication that you believe "Video" was the better place for a sub heading related to watching a replay.

The one in particular where my idea of where it belonged didn't match your location of it was re the AFL app. None of those menus looked right from the outset, so the feedback I want to convey to you more than which ones I pretty blindly clicked on for that question is that they all looked inappropriate. And as I couldn't move on until I'd picked an answer, I had to rationally pick your chosen location for the menu item, even though I think it fails the 'makes immediate sense' test and I really wanted to fill in a box saying 'I'd put this under a separate 'Mobile' menu' or something like that.

(the alternative being to pick something silly like saying that app information should be found with the ladder just so I could move on, which just undermines the value of my answers).

Done. Here's some general feedback that would aide in navigation and reduce confusion: remove the insane Telstra menus that sit above and below the AFL.com.au homepage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Help us improve the navigation at AFL.com.au

Remove this Banner Ad

Back