Discussion Help!

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 23, 2021
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
LA dodgers LA Kings Melbourne Aces
I have just started using a new software with the hopes of improving my designs in quality and many other aspects, this software is called inkscape im looking for a good template that will work on this software for some reason the one i want to use won't work which is rubber arms template

Inkscape is a vector based program, essentially the same gist as Adobe Illustrator. If I'm not mistaken Rubber Arm's template is a Photoshop template and while Photoshop has layers and a little bit of vector support, it's a raster program for photo editing first and foremost. This means PSD files aren't really going to work at all in Inkscape. An Illustrator template should work fine, but you might have some trouble with finding assets that work in Inkscape. As a rule of thumb I probably wouldn't use any images (.png or .jpeg) while making designs, you'll need vector files. Things like .ai (Illustrator file), .pdf, .svg (Scalable Vector Graphics) and .eps (Encapsulated PostScript) are what you'll be looking for to be compatible.

Inkscape is a vector based program, essentially the same gist as Adobe Illustrator. If I'm not mistaken Rubber Arm's template is a Photoshop template and while Photoshop has layers and a little bit of vector support, it's a raster program for photo editing first and foremost. This means PSD files aren't really going to work at all in Inkscape. An Illustrator template should work fine, but you might have some trouble with finding assets that work in Inkscape. As a rule of thumb I probably wouldn't use any images (.png or .jpeg) while making designs, you'll need vector files. Things like .ai (Illustrator file), .pdf, .svg (Scalable Vector Graphics) and .eps (Encapsulated PostScript) are what you'll be looking for to be compatible.
thank you

I have just started using a new software with the hopes of improving my designs in quality and many other aspects, this software is called inkscape im looking for a good template that will work on this software for some reason the one i want to use won't work which is rubber arms template
My template is a PSD. You need an extension called PSD Import Extension to open a PSD in Inkscape

ah ok thanks, ill go with another template until i can get photoshop as in my opinion your template is the best out there
Unfortunately I only have the template in photoshop format because photoshop is the most popular program among the fjgd community. If you can't find a suitable template for inkscape I'll make you one when I have some downtime

Just as a little bit of advice, I'd suggest Photoshop over Illustrator if you're coming from Paint just because raster programs won't require you to have such a reliance on using the pen tool. The free alternatives to Photoshop are GIMP (program) or Photopea (browser app) and you might be able to open PSD files in that. I found the switch from Paint to Illustrator a little bit hard and maybe that's because I was 11 years old, but when I went from Paint to Photoshop a year later I was kind of able to figure it out a bit easier. Of course I'm not fully able to remember which things made one easier than the other for me since this was nearly a decade ago, but I'm still learning things in Photoshop as I go on. If you ever need any help, we're all here to help as much as well can.

Just as a little bit of advice, I'd suggest Photoshop over Illustrator if you're coming from Paint just because raster programs won't require you to have such a reliance on using the pen tool. The free alternatives to Photoshop are GIMP (program) or Photopea (browser app) and you might be able to open PSD files in that. I found the switch from Paint to Illustrator a little bit hard and maybe that's because I was 11 years old, but when I went from Paint to Photoshop a year later I was kind of able to figure it out a bit easier. Of course I'm not fully able to remember which things made one easier than the other for me since this was nearly a decade ago, but I'm still learning things in Photoshop as I go on. If you ever need any help, we're all here to help as much as well can.
im already finding it frustating, im used to layers so ill just l go with photoshop, ill need to learn it though

For what it's worth, pretty much all artwork for apparel professionally is done using vector software, so it's certainly not the worst place to start. In terms of how to go about it, I'd recommend YouTube tutorials but just wanted to flag fancyscum's folio from a few years back, which you can view here: Fancyscum's AFL - A truly national competition

I don't know if Fancy actually created this with vector software, but this style of design and presentation can be accomplished using Illustrator, Inkscape, Corel Draw etc, so there's plenty you can do in that space.

For what it's worth, pretty much all artwork for apparel professionally is done using vector software, so it's certainly not the worst place to start. In terms of how to go about it, I'd recommend YouTube tutorials but just wanted to flag fancyscum's folio from a few years back, which you can view here: Fancyscum's AFL - A truly national competition

I don't know if Fancy actually created this with vector software, but this style of design and presentation can be accomplished using Illustrator, Inkscape, Corel Draw etc, so there's plenty you can do in that space.
i wish i could afford corel draw by far my favorite simple to use and easy to work

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are other methods to obtaining these programs for free, which we can't share with you if you know what I mean.
It is my understanding that some of these 'methods' could even offer you something like Illustrator CS6 which is the last version of Illustrator before it went to a subscription model.

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion Help!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back