Herald Sun Shield 2008

Remove this Banner Ad

as a former ACK footballer I agree with all of that...Ray Carroll has an amazing ability to get all of the team abilities out of an individual

there is no doubt that the individual talent of ACK footballers isnt as high as other football schools like EKC or St Pats, but the 'team' culture that Ray creates is amazing. I think it partly comes out of his religious faith and general humanity and kindness towards others.

its also why you dont see that many ACK footballers go on to AFL. I have seen so many brilliant footballers at ACK over the past 20 years, but very few of them have done well at AFL level after they lose that team camaraderie they had at ACK...Shane Crawford being the exception (Jason Johnson and David King werent really stars at ACK)

Jason Smith and Simon Wood were two that really stood out for me in the late 80s/early 90s, but never made it in the AFL...I thought both were better than Crawford

Who would that be?

In relation to wht ace_helicopter said you're spot on.

Ray has had numerous boys from the country who have had the talent and excelled in the schoolboy team environment but either they need to get back to the farm or just don't want to go on with it and get back to their home town that they're lost to professional AFL.

I'm thinking of the likes of Ray Power whom Ray Carroll always rated the highest of his charges and he went back to Gunbower of all places, tiny town!

In my era there were the Brooks' from Barooga whom created their own dynasty in the town under their father, Ray (what's with all the Rays here?!) with 7 sons! There were also the Gemmills from Strathmerton and I reckon if I rack my brain I could come up with more boys who just went back to country football and enjoyed their footy immensely, yet given the attitudes, junior prospecting and training techniques of today, probably could've made it in AFL?

where can i find some detailed results from the final? B.O.G., goal kickers etc. been any newspaper reports?

Assumption College 0.1 2.2 6.4 9.7 (61)
Essendon Keilor College 3.7 5.11 5.16 6.19 (55)

Goals: Assumption: Gestier 2, M Talia 2, Collis 2, Ryan, Zoch. Essendon Keilor: M White, Banner, Schroder, McKernan, Moloney, Tighe.

Best: Assumption: Collis, Prestia, Allen, Sheahan, Vale, Holman, D Talia. Essendon Keilor: Hartigan, Tsardakis, Moloney, Dove, Banner.

Neale Daniher Medal (Assumption College best player): Simon Collis.

Kevin Sheehan Medal (Essendon Keilor College best player): Kyle Hartigan.

Match report go to - www.aflvic.com.au

ACK haven't beaten Xavier in 6 years.
Ray himself concedes its the one piece of silverware he hasn't been able to pin down.

Is Renato Serafini still Sports Master there? If so, how ironic!

"Sera" was an Assumption wunderkind: state rep in athletics, school champion in aths, major goal kicker, 1st XVIII from abuot 15 years of age, went on to play at Fitzroy whilst still at Assumption and the reason I'm a Lions boy! Now, I think, runs sports for Xavier and you're telling me ACK can't beat them. That is irony.

Serafini coaches one the junior development sides at Xavier.

Adding the irony, we also have several Daniher boys at Xavier.

Neale Daniher coached the Yr 9s this year.

How about that!!

These are the two stories I wrote

One of the greatest!

by Matt Nicholls

WRITE off Assumption College at your own peril.
That was the message delivered at the MCG last Saturday as the First XVIII served up a performance that has been described as the best ever in the renowned school’s history.
Against the highly rated Essendon Keilor College, the Dark and Light Blues were down by 26 points at half time in the MCC Herald Sun Shield grand final, but produced a stunning comeback to snatch a six-point victory.
Words simply cannot describe the feat, which will long be talked about in the corridors at Assumption.
In the remarkable second half, ACK outscored their off-target opponents 7.7 to 1.8.
Considering EKC had 16 TAC Cup players, and at least a handful of potential draftees, the Kilmore students’ win will be remembered as a legendary performance.
The Dark and Light Blues had just two TAC Cup players, proving that team spirit and a love for the Assumption jumper goes a lot further than just a crop of talented players.
But that doesn’t mean ACK didn’t have their fair share of talent. In fact, the TAC Cup sides should feel sheepish that they missed out on quite a few potential stars.
Assumption boasts about half-a-dozen “guns”, but every single player who took the field last Saturday is certainly worth their weight in gold to the team make-up.
Defenders such as Seth Hill, Brendan Allan, Dave Price, Nick Lawless and Quaide Comi may not rack up the possessions like their AFL counterparts, but the fact is they get the job done – prevent goals, that is.
Even forwards like Luke Gestier, Daniel Talia, Liam Ryan and Daniel Zoch go about their business with a minimum of fuss, simply just doing what they know best.
Midfielders Jamie Sheahan, Jackson Garvey-Hawke, Simon Collis, Dion Prestia and Will Holman might look flashy when they’ve got the ball, but the reality is they are all level headed and are far more interested in winning with their teammates than looking good for potential recruiters.
It is a quality that is drummed into Assumption players from the very moment they turn up to training.
THE TEAM FIRST
There is no focus on individuals, simply the team.
Through constant reminder of the school’s proud history and tradition, the players quickly learn that they are not just playing for their teammates and peers in the classroom, they are also representing all the ex-collegians who spilt blood and tears for the First XVIII in days gone by.
That spirit was captured in the second half last Saturday as the ACK players put together one of the better halves of football you’ll ever seen.
Virtually dead and buried at the main break with just two goals on the board, the Dark and Blues came out firing in the third term to get within five points at the final change.
With a swirly wind favouring EKC, it was always going to be a tough assignment for Assumption to snatch victory, but standout performances in the final stanza from Dion Prestia, Simon Collis, Luke Gestier, Sam Vale and Jamie Sheahan saw the Blues kick 3.3 to 1.4 to overtake their rivals and record the historic win.
The scenes at the hallowed stadium were something like no other. The cheers from the large contingency of Assumption fans at the City End of the MCG echoed around the arena, creating a magical atmosphere.
As expected, players rushed to each other and the crowd, delighted with their efforts.
While it was easy to be caught up in the emotion of ACK’s victory, it must be said that a thought went out towards the Essendon Keilor players, who performed brilliantly and played the game in the right spirit.
They simply came up against a better unit on the day, and couldn’t withstand the high class tackling and pressure skills of the Kilmore students.
The win brings up a footy “double” for Assumption, who won the AGSV grand final a fortnight earlier against another Essendon-based school in Penleigh and Essendon Grammar.
Now with a record 10 MCC Herald Sun Shield victories and 35 AGSV titles, the Dark and Blues continue to build their reputation as the number one football college in Australia.
In a tough choice for best on ground honours, midfielder/forward Simon Collis was awarded the Neale Daniher Medal for Assumption, narrowly pipping Brendan Allen and Dion Prestia.
Best for EKC was Kyle Hartigan, who took home the Kevin Sheehan Medal.
SCOREBOARD
Assumption College 0.1, 2.2, 6.4, 9.7 (61) d
Essendon Keilor College 3.7, 5.11, 5.15, 6.19 (55).
Goals (ACK): L. Gestier 3; M. Talia, S. Collis 2; L. Ryan, D. Zoch.
Best: Collis, D. Prestia, B. Allen, J. Sheahan, S. Vale, W. Holman, D. Talia.
Goals (EKC): M. White, M. Banner, N. Schroder, S. McKernan, C. Moloney, S. Tighe.
Best: K. Hartigan, C. Tsardakis, Moloney, D. Dove, Banner.

How the day unfolded

by Matt Nicholls

WHEN I arrived at Assumption College at 7.30 on Saturday morning, I’m not sure who was more nervous, the ACK players or me.
Calm and collected at the breakfast table, there were no signs of anxiety in the students, who were about to play in the biggest match of their lives.
Even on the bus trip towards the ground, the players were very relaxed about the upcoming contest.
And why shouldn’t they have been? For they have had to deal with pressure match after pressure match all season long.
When stepping into the MCG changerooms for the first time, I got the sense of excitement I had not felt before.
Standing in the rooms occupied by Richmond in the home and away season, the boys were clearly starting to come to grips with the situation they were in.
But despite the enormity of it all, they remained focussed on the task at hand.
The leadership of skipper Jamie Sheahan and deputies Sam Vale and Will Holman really stood up in the lead-up to the game.
The trio ensured everyone remained calm and in full concentration before the game started.
When the team finally entered the arena, they were greeted by a screaming audience – fellow schoolmates who had made the trip to the MCG.
After a brief rev-up, the players quickly went to their positions in readiness for the opening bounce.
As if all the stars had aligned in Assumption’s favour, the Dark and Light Blues won the first clearance and within seconds had a mark inside their forward fifty.
Simon Collis went back from 40 metres out and appeared to have kicked truly, much to the applause of the nearby ACK fans, but was left disappointed as the goal umpire signalled the ball hit the post.
After the match, spectators said the ball clearly went through for a goal, but a player accidently bumped into the post, making the post wobble and thus deceiving the official.
EARLY DOMINATION
What could have been a perfect start soon turned into a nightmare, as Essendon Keilor dominated proceedings for the remainder of the quarter.
Despite their clear stranglehold of the contest, EKC was unable to put the Kilmore side away.
Poor kicking for goal saw the $1.20 favourites score 3.7 to 0.1 in the first term, keeping Assumption in the contest.
It’s not often Ray Carroll gives his troops a blast in a quarter-time address, but the players copped a serious spray from the long-time ACK coach at the first break.
While the Blues failed to make any inroads on the scoreboard in the second quarter, they had stemmed the flow, despite kicking into a strong breeze.
Goals to Daniel Zoch and Luke Gestier ensured Assumption remained in the contest at the main break.
Despite the seriousness of the situation, both Carroll and assistant Scott Wynd remained positive at half time.
Down by 26 points, the outlook was grim for ACK, but it was a situation they had been in before and succeeded.
Although little was said in terms of match-ups, the Kilmore students took it upon themselves to improve their performance in the second half to make a real game of it.
Through relentless pressure, the Dark and Light Blues had a stellar third quarter to put themselves right back in the contest.
Michael Talia started the term with a bang to kick a goal in the first 45 seconds, while Liam Ryan made the most of a “soft” free kick and 50-metre penalty to slot another at the 12-minute mark.
While EKC continued to miss easy shots on goal at the other end, Assumption continued to cash in.
When Gestier and Talia each booted their second major late in the third term, you could sense an ACK victory was on the cards.
Despite the excitement heading into the final stanza, the players again remained focussed on the task at hand.
Midfielders Dion Prestia, Jamie Sheahan and Jackson Garvey-Hawke managed to find a lot more space late in the game, and their pin-point delivery proved the difference.
Both teams traded goals early in the piece, before a brilliant snap shot from Collis sailed through the big sticks to give Assumption a seven-point buffer.
While Essendon Keilor attacked relentlessly, they could only conjure up another behind, summing up their day perfectly.
With just seconds to go, Sam Vale cleared the ball from defence to the rousing applause of the ACK fan base.
CELEBRATIONS
When the siren sounded, it was chaos. Players ran from everywhere to congratulate one another, all whilst trying to remain humble in victory.
After the official presentations, the players soaked up their time on the hallowed MCG turf and sang the college song with gusto in the changerooms.
The match itself was clearly a highlight, it is by far the best match I’ve ever seen in all levels of football, but my favourite moment was seeing the players mingle and celebrate with family in friends in the rooms after the match.
The players get all the glory, but credit must also go to the people around them, as the students would be nothing without their friends and family.
After a long night of celebrating, the First XVIII quickly turned their focus to this weekend’s game in Adelaide against Sacred Heart College – a massive assignment once again.
To win, the players will need to rise to an even higher level, nearly unthinkable considering what they have achieved this year.
But don’t be surprised if they come home with the shield, for this Assumption side is one of the greatest, and the players can achieve anything if they put their minds to it.

as a former ACK footballer I agree with all of that...Ray Carroll has an amazing ability to get all of the team abilities out of an individual

there is no doubt that the individual talent of ACK footballers isnt as high as other football schools like EKC or St Pats, but the 'team' culture that Ray creates is amazing. I think it partly comes out of his religious faith and general humanity and kindness towards others.

its also why you dont see that many ACK footballers go on to AFL. I have seen so many brilliant footballers at ACK over the past 20 years, but very few of them have done well at AFL level after they lose that team camaraderie they had at ACK...Shane Crawford being the exception (Jason Johnson and David King werent really stars at ACK)

Jason Smith and Simon Wood were two that really stood out for me in the late 80s/early 90s, but never made it in the AFL...I thought both were better than Crawford

Not that many Assumption College footballers go onto AFL?, 145 students onto VFL/ AFL ranks in the schools proud 115 year tradition.

Kevin Heath, Brenadan Edwards, Peter "Crackers" Keenan, Simon O'Donnell, Billy Brownless, Peter Baldwin, Barry Young, Matt Dundas, Shane Crawford and Ben Dixon just to name a few.

Up against the odds all season, against scholarship ridden schools, Assumption has come up trumps, winning the prestigious "double" - AGS - Herald Sun Shield premierships.

ACK's 36th AGSV premiership in 50 years, their 10th HSS premiership in 30 years of competition.

78 titles in 115 years.

There is not a sporting team with a record to rival that of Assumption College Kilmores first XVIII ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD !.

ACK = NUMERO UNO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not that many Assumption College footballers go onto AFL?, 145 students onto VFL/ AFL ranks in the schools proud 115 year tradition.

Kevin Heath, Brenadan Edwards, Peter "Crackers" Keenan, Simon O'Donnell, Billy Brownless, Peter Baldwin, Barry Young, Matt Dundas, Shane Crawford and Ben Dixon just to name a few.

Up against the odds all season, against scholarship ridden schools, Assumption has come up trumps, winning the prestigious "double" - AGS - Herald Sun Shield premierships.

ACK's 36th AGSV premiership in 50 years, their 10th HSS premiership in 30 years of competition.

78 titles in 115 years.

There is not a sporting team with a record to rival that of Assumption College Kilmores first XVIII ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD !.

ACK = NUMERO UNO

yes, sorry about that...on reflection, what I wrote is not what I was thinking entirely

I meant to say that, in recent times (say the past 10 years), despite the success and talent of the ACK team, there have been relatively few players enter the AFL

So many of the AFL players these days come from the U 18s comp which makes it difficult for lads based in Kilmore and/or playing college football...plus, as you noted, they dont have the resources/scholarships of many of the other schools in Vic and interstate

Forza ACK!

Next Year We believe that De La Salle will be a powerhouse unit, with the likes of xave murphy, jack purton-smith, and maybe not ryan harris. with other TAC cup players they should go all the way.
Just a quicky to note Jack Purton-Smith had 49 disposals in the U17 div 1 msjfl grand final on sunday, won best on ground and played against many current U18's he is one to watch for the future a 176cm 82kg fast skill full midfielder.
Regards
Dragons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Herald Sun Shield 2008

Remove this Banner Ad

Back