Heres My Idea...

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 30, 2008
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
This week against geelong bring Jake King back into the side to put a tag on ablett......Yes i agree his skills and decision making are terrible but because Ablett is such a good player i think it id worth sticking King on him all day and tell Jake not to think about anything else....just not letting him get a touch.....he shouldnt have to kick or make to many decisions......i just think that hes quick and he can tackle so he should be able to run around with ablett all day and it might just work.........And were playing Geelong so really we have to try something

BILC

So just how many free kicks would you like us to give Geelong? Any gameplan that relies on Jake King as a key to success is inherently flawed and can only be doomed to fail.:thumbsdown:
well any other stupid game plans that terry wallace plans will fail so why not try this one....nothing to lose.......and Kings never been tryed as a tagger maybe hell be good at it?.....well never know unless we try

King "tagged" McLeod from HF last year, and kept him to 16 possies. Not half bad...
GAblett at FF or C poses a different problem however. But King is a realistic chance to come in with Raines and Cousins definitely out...

king is harshly rated around here, strange that so many would take for granted players that love a scrap and relish the contest, seem to recall him just about BOG R1 in 2008...If we're to change the mix ...then players like Kingy should be in the frame

I don't care if he can scrap, he can't kick for shit. Either drop a number of players because of their lack of skills and bring him in or don't at all.

This week against geelong bring Jake King back into the side to put a tag on ablett......Yes i agree his skills and decision making are terrible but because Ablett is such a good player i think it id worth sticking King on him all day and tell Jake not to think about anything else....just not letting him get a touch.....he shouldnt have to kick or make to many decisions......i just think that hes quick and he can tackle so he should be able to run around with ablett all day and it might just work.........And were playing Geelong so really we have to try something

BILC

Jake king on gary ablett??? ROLMFAOOOOOOOOO

Could be the first time we see a player get 60 disposals!!!!

i don't mind the idea but ya gotta remember, Bartel Corey Selwood Enright Ling.

as much as you have to tag gazza, defensive pressure MUST be applied to all 18 players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He isnt the answer, we cant afford to concentrate solely on Ablett either. I remember last year Hyde went out there to tag Gazza and I have never seen teammates protect a player as well as Geelong did for him.

They shepheard, block and defend the player copping the attention superbly. We have to concentrate on their midfield as a group and not single out how to nullify one player, has to be the group and the answer will be getting our on ballers to pull their fingers out attack the ball and the opposition with some belief that the game is ours.

We cant go in completely defensively minded because its the wrong mindset to take into the game, we have to take it up to Geelong back ourselves and most importantly do the basics right!

Jackson has a significantly bigger tank, he's a better all-round midfielder, and they're virtually identical in attack on the ball and aggression, so why would we go with King?

Wouldn't mind seeing him recalled if he's fit (King for Edwards would be a win at this stage), but Ablett would run him into the ground pretty quickly.

Jackson stands a far better chance - albeit still slim - of keeping up with and curbing the champ.

I think you're right Richmond FC .... the key to stopping Ablett - as Ryan Crowley did last year in Perth - is to free up a team mate either side of the Geelong ball carrier from a set play such as mark or free kick. Ablett (like Judd) continually runs either side of his team mate who dishes off then put's a sheperd or block on Abletts opponent - and bingo he's away like a shot.

Everyone knows how good Gaz Jnr is with a few steps and some space to run into ...

Problem is with this tactic - it might hold Ablett to a low-mid 20 posession game but in the Freo game last year (his quitest for 2008) Selwood bobbed up and played a blinder and won us the game because his opponent was Ablett conscious and trying to help Crowley.

Clarkson at Hawthorn has the right idea I think ... just let him go and get 30-35 touches as there's a chance he will even if you tag him. I think Selwood is the one you tag because he's got more grunt - and in and under than Ablett. The other blokes you tag are our 'play makers' off half back ....Enright - Corey - or in recent weeks Bartel.

At Least Jake King would have a ****ing crack, unlike most of our ****ing list.

that is exactly right!!! at least he has passion for the game and has a crack every week.. yes he turns it over but i would rather see a turnover from a player putting his body on the line than a player who is a running receiver and cant hit a target out in the open 20m away!! why recruit Hislop and Thomson if they are not going to play at least they will be physical!!!

We probably need to focus on the overall team rather than just one player, although agree that Kingy should come in for Raines. It will probably rain on Friday and Saturday morning. There will be wind and part of Skilled stadium is being rebuilt leaving a gaping hole. I'm not sure what the drainage is like down at Skilled, but I'd suggest the way to approach this game would be to BRING IN THE PIGS and bottle it up like a good old fashion surburban ground battle (the game starts at 2.10pm on a Saturday arvo, so as close as you'll get to a good ol' fashioned 2pm surburban game start).

We are on a hiding to nothing and run and carry WILL NOT cut it Terry. So I suggest we bring in Thomson (if fit), Hislop, King and Coughlan all to support Tuck & Foley on the ball. Put Kingy in the back line to replace Raines, Richo to permanently float across half back as a loose man plugging the gap and marking / repelling everything, Sarge up forward in long sleeves to play another of his (only) famous wet weather games (ala Collingwood when Newman broke his leg) with Riewoldt & Mitch to support. Brown (who owes us after last week) to weave his old magic in the wet up forward.

NOW THE REALLY IMPORTANT BIT: McMahon and Edwards should not be selected purely b/c they will get bumped off the ball by a physical, but fair, hard at the ball Geelong unit.

So I see about five changes:

IN:
Thomson (if fit)
Hislop
Coughlan
Gus or Patto (if fit)
Kingy

OUT:
McMahon (sorry, not on a wet track against a hard team)
Edwards (ditto above)
Browne (let's not destroy his confidence more by pitting him against Ottens - it's going to be wet, so not a beanpole's day)
Cousins (Hammy - bringing in Thomson, Hislop & Cogs to replace!)
Raines (Knee - bringing in King to replace)

Just my two cents (and my first ever post...) :D

May it rain long and hard... and let's turn it in to a "Bay of Pigs" ambush, Corio style. (ok the Bay of Pigs invasion was unsuccessful, but I'm just trying to keep the winning margin below what it was last week) :eek:

Remove this Banner Ad

Heres My Idea...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back