Hobart Stadium: $750 million cost

Remove this Banner Ad

No, which is why they generally play in dingy paddocks.

Yes nrl and soccer are suburban games, but what about Sydney football stadium, Parramatta stadium, accor stadium, Suncorp stadium, the north Queensland stadium. 3 of those relatively new builds, the nrl making big profits these days, did they, or soccer put in a cent? I highly doubt it.

The AFL contributed to the upgrades of the stadiums in Perth, Adelaide, Gold Coast, Western Sydney, Geelong, Docklands (albeit which it owns), and the initial construction costs in Hobart. It's a reasonable assumption.
And they’ve just contributed $4.5 million to Henson park, which is used more for rugby league than afl.

I agree with it though, payment should also come from the league itself who benefit from the upgrades.

Do NRL, Aleague, NBL, Tennis, swimming or any pay for stadium/facility buildings or improvements?

I mean, it’s a bit rough to compare a stadium that will only ever be used by the absolute elite and allows their sports to make untold millions, with tennis courts and swimming pools that can generally be accessed and used by anybody 99% of the time.

I mean, it’s a bit rough to compare a stadium that will only ever be used by the absolute elite and allows their sports to make untold millions, with tennis courts and swimming pools that can generally be accessed and used by anybody 99% of the time.

So cricket, nrl, soccer? Their stadiums aren't used by anyone other than the professionals, yet they put nothing in, where as for some reason the afl are pressured to, or feel the need to offer. Also I don't think amateurs use the tennis courts at Melbourne park, they were all government funded too.

So cricket, nrl, soccer? Their stadiums aren't used by anyone other than the professionals, yet they put nothing in, where as for some reason the afl are pressured to, or feel the need to offer. Also I don't think amateurs use the tennis courts at Melbourne park, they were all government funded too.

Yeah that’s fine, they probably should, but facilities that are open to the public such as pools and tennis courts are a bit different. Melbourne Park courts are definitely available for hire (if not the main stadiums, of course).

The other factor to remember is that sometimes it can appear governments are being bullied by pro sports. We shouldn’t discount the angle that most often, politicians do love building stadiums - they’re big visible things that will get them in the hardhat and hi-vis vest for the cameras, and millions of people use them every year.

Things are a little different at the moment as the economy is almost uniquely rooted… but assuming that’s somewhat temporary, building stuff will be in vogue again. Notwithstanding the Tassie discussion, where the electorate does seem to be a little regressive on this front - other electorates would be ripping a government’s arm off for a new stadium and pro club.

Was this you who emailed a question to the Sounding Board about the NRL getting preferential treatment from the federal government, because it’s Albo’s favourite sport? It certainly opened Damo and Hutchy’s eyes to the concept and they said they’ll look into it more next week.

Furious that the federal government is fully funding the Leichhardt Oval redevelopment, when they made Tassie jump through so many hoops to get funding for Mac Point and Albo wanted the AFL to contribute more. It’s a joke how many free kicks he’s giving rugby league!

Listen from 4:30:

Was this you who emailed a question to the Sounding Board about the NRL getting preferential treatment from the federal government, because it’s Albo’s favourite sport? It certainly opened Damo and Hutchy’s eyes to the concept and they said they’ll look into it more next week.

Furious that the federal government is fully funding the Leichhardt Oval redevelopment, when they made Tassie jump through so many hoops to get funding for Mac Point and Albo wanted the AFL to contribute more. It’s a joke how many free kicks he’s giving rugby league!

Listen from 4:30:

Good pick up. It might have been under an alias account though, coz one time I sent a question last year they read my full name out and people at work were asking me about it.

Damo didn't read the questions out properly he dropped words and added in his own on some. The leichardt oval isn't fully funded by the feds, but they're pitching in with zero requirement for the NRL to put their hand in their pocket, as usual. Yet on albo's other one, the home of his newtown jets (Henson park) he made the afl chip in despite it also being used for rugby league purposes. Plus as you said shaking down the afl for 20 mill of their own money towards the tassie stadium.

Hutchie also made the mistake by saying that v'landy's went to albo with the 600 million funding idea, it was the other way around. I swear he sat around thinking how can he give near 1 billion Aussie taxpayer dollars to his favourite sport and close the gap on the afl.

Have a look into the digital streaming rights loophole too, it just so happens to be open up conveniently for the NRL and then will likely be closed in 2026 when their new media rights deal is done. They know they cant match the AFL's money fairly, because they don't get as many viewers, so albo has left a nice little loophole open to them despite protests from all the fta tv networks, so that they can make up the difference via an Amazon, Netflix type company paying for digital streaming (for those without an antenna, which is nearly 50 percent of the population now).

I don't particularly care about his politics on all other issues, but the conflict of interest and intentional draining of the afl coffers, whilst filling the NRL's with free tax payer money is disgraceful.

You know him and v'landy's go out to lunch regularly just the two of them in Sydney. The afl/ southern media should be all over this, if it were the other way around the Sydney media would be having a cat fit.

Last edited:
Good pick up. It might have been under an alias account though, coz one time I sent a question last year they read my full name out and people at work were asking me about it.

Damo didn't read the questions out properly he dropped words and added in his own on some. The leichardt oval isn't fully funded by the feds, but they're pitching in with zero requirement for the NRL to put their hand in their pocket, as usual. Yet on albo's other one, the home of his newtown jets (Henson park) he made the afl chip in despite it also being used for rugby league purposes. Plus as you said shaking down the afl for 20 mill of their own money towards the tassie stadium.

Hutchie also made the mistake by saying that v'landy's went to albo with the 600 million funding idea, it was the other way around. I swear he sat around thinking how can he give near 1 billion Aussie taxpayer dollars to his favourite sport and close the gap on the afl.

Have a look into the digital streaming rights loophole too, it just so happens to be open up conveniently for the NRL and then will likely be closed in 2026 when their new media rights deal is done. They know they cant match the AFL's money fairly, because they don't get as many viewers, so albo has left a nice little loophole open to them despite protests from all the fta tv networks, so that they can make up the difference via an Amazon, Netflix type company paying for digital streaming (for those without an antenna, which is nearly 50 percent of the population now).

I don't particularly care about his politics on all other issues, but the conflict of interest and intentional draining of the afl coffers, whilst filling the NRL's with free tax payer money is disgraceful.

You know him and v'landy's go out to lunch regularly just the two of them in Sydney. The afl/ southern media should be all over this, if it were the other way around the Sydney media would be having a cat fit.
It certainly sounded like you. If not, then ‘Craig’ did a great job. I hope they actually follow this up next week and it generates some interest amongst the Melbourne media.

Sydney has dominated the Prime Ministership for decades. I think that Gillard (Vic) and Rudd (Qld) have been the only PM’s that aren’t from Sydney in the last 30+ years. I don’t think any of the other Sydney PMs have been as overt with the preferential treatment and financial kickbacks towards NRL as Albo though. Very poor, although it’s hardly surprising when that slimy V’Landys is involved too.

It certainly sounded like you. If not, then ‘Craig’ did a great job. I hope they actually follow this up next week and it generates some interest amongst the Melbourne media.

Sydney has dominated the Prime Ministership for decades. I think that Gillard (Vic) and Rudd (Qld) have been the only PM’s that aren’t from Sydney in the last 30+ years. I don’t think any of the other Sydney PMs have been as overt with the preferential treatment and financial kickbacks towards NRL as Albo though. Very poor, although it’s hardly surprising when that slimy V’Landys is involved too.
If the country had voted for Shorten when they had the chance, maybe the shoe would be on the other foot right now.

The boss of Ticketek has praised the MacPoint stadium. He says it will attract performers & Hobart/Tassie & that Tassie is a desirable destination. He thinks it'll rival MONA for tourism attraction.
Well thats the final nail in the Naysayers coffin (If they weren't already consigned to one, metaphorically speaking of course. ;))

Remove this Banner Ad

Hobart Stadium: $750 million cost

Remove this Banner Ad

Back