Hobart stadium business case

Remove this Banner Ad

This is insane. I'd heard a lot of misgivings about the choice of site, but a 23,000 seat stadium 170 metres from a symphony concert hall? That takes the cake. Looks like the AFL didn't bother checking in with anyone.

This is insane. I'd heard a lot of misgivings about the choice of site, but a 23,000 seat stadium 170 metres from a symphony concert hall? That takes the cake. Looks like the AFL didn't bother checking in with anyone.

First the RSL come out against it and now the TSO has come out saying it will be a problem for them. This just get's more interesting all the time and I think this is definitely going to put the Mac Point 2 back on the table.

Sadly it wouldn't surprise me at all if the stadium fell over considering this is Tasmania where major projects rarely get up. This state is full of anti groups and the opposition to the stadium is huge from what I can see.
So you've found a new home for your stadium doomsayer spiel Mr. Tassie?
Interesting.

1. They don't know if there will be any impact at all.
2. If it does have an impact, Hobart stadium won't be used that often and only for a few hours when it is.
3. If its still that big of an issue, They can sell and move into better facilities. They're in a good spot thats going to get a huge upgrade to PT and facilities in general so the land value would be huge.

1. They don't know if there will be any impact at all.
2. If it does have an impact, Hobart stadium won't be used that often and only for a few hours when it is.
3. If its still that big of an issue, They can sell and move into better facilities. They're in a good spot thats going to get a huge upgrade to PT and facilities in general so the land value would be huge.
Having spent quite some years in event management and production I can tell you there will be an impact.

I’m sure the rich and powerful that patronise classical concerts will happily see themselves be forced to find an alternative to their purpose-built venue which was only commissioned in 1998.

I can see this tangled up in the courts for years.

I keep hearing "bands won't go to Tassie".
Because it's true. Coldplay, Kylie Minogue, Pearl Jam, Laneway festival, Billie Eilish, Iron Maiden, Taylor Swift, all recent tours that skipped Tassie.

The reality is this is Tasmania which is a place where major projects rarely happen due to all the anti groups. If the stadium doesn't get up then I wouldn't be surprised at all, but hopefully a renegotiation of the deal would still be considered by the afl.I struggle to see us losing the team now because the High Performance centre will already be under construction before the stadium decision is made and a huge amount of work has already gone in to building the team.
The clubs didn't want a Tasmanian team to begin with, which is why they forced a dream that no sane person could possibly agree to.

Gil got to make his "offer", the clubs fully expected rejection.
But its such a bad deal for the state that of course both major political parties both eventually got behind it. No team is better than a team under such extortionate circumstances, but its footy so politically its a short term winner.

There is pretty much zero chance the AFL would renegotiate after the government has already committed the state to it.

Because it's true. Coldplay, Kylie Minogue, Pearl Jam, Laneway festival, Billie Eilish, Iron Maiden, Taylor Swift, all recent tours that skipped Tassie.
And yet the Killers are playing a one off concert in Townsville at their new stadium in a town that is slightly smaller than Hobart.

Foo Fighters played a one off at GMHBA recently.

Those tours might have skipped Tassie because they don't currently have a 23,000 roofed stadium that would be perfect to play at?

And yet the Killers are playing a one off concert in Townsville at their new stadium in a town that is slightly smaller than Hobart.
Ok so one (fairly washed) band is playing in Tasmania. The vast majority of artists skip the place.

Foo Fighters played a one off at GMHBA recently.
Isn't that in Geelong?

Those tours might have skipped Tassie because they don't currently have a 23,000 roofed stadium that would be perfect to play at?
A lot of those artists I listed (Kylie, Coldplay etc.) haven't actually happened yet, so they could have played at the Townsville stadium (25,000 capacity?) but didn't.

Maybe the audience just isn't there? Even at somewhere like Rod Laver tickets to gigs can start at over $150 and I'm not sure my good friends in Tassie can afford that.

The thing with this is many opposed believe the huge cost and potential overruns along with the stadium running at a loss will cancel all those benefits out. They talk about the interest that has to be payed every year on it and the fact the federal government contribution is for the whole precinct not just the stadium with it not GST exempt.

The state government has capped it's spend at $375 million, but that will mean a lot will have to be found from private investors including potential overruns. I'm not sure if private investors will be interested considering it's expected to run at a loss but apparently a fair few have shown interest.

The big question is will it bring a lot of benefit or will it end up being a constant strain on the state. I'm hopeful it will be successful, but the proposal definitely looks rocky so I'm not sure. I would be interested to know if the afl would still renegotiate the deal if the stadium is knocked back and that definitely couldn't be ruled out in anti Tasmania. It would be a huge loss to lose our afl team we have pushed for around 100 years for.

I struggle to see that the afl could walk away from the team now even if the stadium is knocked back. They have already done a lot of work on the team and the High Performance Centre will be under construction when the stadium decision is made. If the team falls over now I would be extremely surprised because so much time has been put in to it.

I don't think you have to look much further than Adelaide and Perth to see the benefits of building a state of the art stadium in close proximity to the cities CBD. Both stadiums were very expense but both states have not looked back on the what the building has done to the culture, economics and relevance of each city. Hobart will attract additional events and, more importantly, significantly more tourism than it did previously. This then has a trickle on effect to business, sponsorship and even increased population.

I believe you under estimate the AFL's resolve in this instance. They will happily walk away from this license if their requirements are not meet. They do not want the Devils to become a financial burden on the competition and want any new team to be profitable and, its legacy to be a success for the club, competition and state.

The AFL are not interested in renegotiating the license. Any demand to do so will mean the end of this license and decades of further work for the state to try to enter in the league once again. The state agreed and needs to stand by that. They will not regret it despite a small minority of neigh-sayers beating their chests. Be reassured with the history of Adelaide and Perth's experiences. Your state with flourish as a result.

I don't think you have to look much further than Adelaide and Perth to see the benefits of building a state of the art stadium in close proximity to the cities CBD. Both stadiums were very expense but both states have not looked back on the what the building has done to the culture, economics and relevance of each city. Hobart will attract additional events and, more importantly, significantly more tourism than it did previously. This then has a trickle on effect to business, sponsorship and even increased population.

I believe you under estimate the AFL's resolve in this instance. They will happily walk away from this license if their requirements are not meet. They do not want the Devils to become a financial burden on the competition and want any new team to be profitable and, its legacy to be a success for the club, competition and state.

The AFL are not interested in renegotiating the license. Any demand to do so will mean the end of this license and decades of further work for the state to try to enter in the league once again. The state agreed and needs to stand by that. They will not regret it despite a small minority of neigh-sayers beating their chests. Be reassured with the history of Adelaide and Perth's experiences. Your state with flourish as a result.
I hope it is a success, but I'm not sure you can compare it to Adelaide Oval and Optus Oval because they have a lot more content using their stadiums than what we will.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Hobart stadium business case

Remove this Banner Ad

Back