Hodgey says he is not ready yet to captain ... backs Vanders

Remove this Banner Ad

Gary Shadforth

Norm Smith Medallist
Veteran Hawthorn Hawks - Muston and Savage Player Sponsor 2010 Hawthorn Hawks - Smith and Savage 2011 Player Sponsor Hawthorn Hawks - Beau Muston 2009 Player Sponsor Hawthorn Hawks - Beau Muston 2008 Player Sponsor Hawthorn Hawks - Beau Muston 2007 Player Sponsor
Oct 15, 2003
Coolangatta Queensland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Interesting article in today's Herald Sun: 'Hodge not ready to captain Hawks'

I found some of Luke's comments rather interesting -

"Just my maturity of doing it 24-7, there's still plenty of parts where I'm not where I want to be leadership wise," Hodge said.

"I'm a few years off I reckon before I want to have the responsibility of the whole team looking up to me.

"I've got a lot more improvement football wise -- fitness and attitude is a massive part of it."

"I've got a lot more improvement football wise -- fitness and attitude is a massive part of it."

"I always knew I was no chance of getting it. It was just talk, pretty much.

"I hope Vanders gets it again. I'm pretty much certain he'll get it again.

"What he does for the team is fantastic. It's something I didn't see a couple of years ago, but he's that team orientated. He just wants the best for the club.

"He probably didn't start the season as well as he would've wanted, but later on hepicked it up. He worked that hard off the field."

Hodge named Sam Mitchell, Chance Bateman and Tim Clarke as other prime candidates from the young group to be the next skipper of Hawthorn.

"There's that many people coming through. Hopefully we can feed off each other," Hodge said.

0,1658,5065965,00.jpg
0,1658,5005973,00.jpg

Read the article: http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,17027218%5E20322,00.html

Give hime another year to improve even more as a player, and then give him the title of captain in 2007..

Will be best for him and the club!

Hodge should be given the captaincy for 2006 regardless of todays newspaper comments. While he may feel he MIGHT not be ready for the job there is no doubt that RV was definitely not ready, or derserving of AFL captaincy and it humiliatingly showed onfield this year.

I say hodge grows some, stops pretending its not all for him and just take it by leading, hawthorn needs some hard men and lately(past 4-5 yrs) I dont see any. Get dipper back at the club, teach the boys how to grow mustaches and get the ball (he can maybe not teach em to hit cos they seem to know (that-essendon game a few years back)) and how to lead like men. I actually go for hawthorn, don;t read my file name thing thats for tricks. But the hawks need to get tough in the football department, and develop some new age achers, voss' brown's and the like, all I seem to see is generic look a likes who like to high five when it all goes well and not look for the next meal like a hungry dog.

Get em to be themselves and be proud to die for each other and bleed for each other (figurative and literally), all great teams do that and hawthorn needs to develop it, but it must come from a real leader and the team. Coaches can helpi t along but its up to the captain.

DaveT said:
I say hodge grows some, stops pretending its not all for him and just take it by leading, hawthorn needs some hard men and lately(past 4-5 yrs) I dont see any. Get dipper back at the club, teach the boys how to grow mustaches and get the ball (he can maybe not teach em to hit cos they seem to know (that-essendon game a few years back)) and how to lead like men. I actually go for hawthorn, don;t read my file name thing thats for tricks. But the hawks need to get tough in the football department, and develop some new age achers, voss' brown's and the like, all I seem to see is generic look a likes who like to high five when it all goes well and not look for the next meal like a hungry dog.

Get em to be themselves and be proud to die for each other and bleed for each other (figurative and literally), all great teams do that and hawthorn needs to develop it, but it must come from a real leader and the team. Coaches can helpi t along but its up to the captain.
I agree.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hodgey says he is not ready yet to captain ... backs Vanders

Remove this Banner Ad

Back