Hollow victory for whoever wins premiership

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
With the Dogs easily beating Brisbane last night when they had nothing to play for while Brisbane had everything, just confirms that the RL premiership this season is an absolute joke and whoever wins the phoney GF this year will forever be known as the team of the hollow victory.

Just like Manlys win in 96 with the other teams in Super League, it is a joke and farcicial.

No wonder thugby league bum sniffing stumbles from crises to crises and nobody wants to know about it.

And the crowd last night. 16,000, wow what a monster crowd.
Thats what Fitzroy was getting when they folded.

All in all typical RL pathetic incompetence.

If you must call it a hollow win for the eventual premier, than so be it, but if the Bulldogs had been allowed to stay in the comp, and they won (which they most likely would have) than the NRL would have copped flack for letting them stay in the comp, the way i see it, its a catch 22 situation, and the NRL did the right thing, all things considered

"Just like Manlys win in 96 with the other teams in Super League, it is a joke and farcicial."

It was 97 and Newcastle were the winners.

Re: The Dogs, the NRL did their job and had no other option. besides Brisbane's been out of form for quite some time now last night didnt prove a thing.

Joffa, another high quality post i see. Getting a premiership year wrong and calling it Thugby League, quality stuff if i have ever seen it.

16,000 was a good crowd, sorry mate, but most RL fans stopped comparing RL crowds to AFL crowds a long time ago. In terms of RL crowds, 16,000 was a good number. RL crowds so far this week have been good

15,000 - Parra/NQ
16,000 - Tigers/NZ
20,000 - Sharks/Roosters
16,000 - Dogs/Brisbane
9,500 - Raiders/Melb

Each code has their weak points, do u want to start talking about the recent international rules cup?? lol, now that was funny

Moffo

Originally posted by MoffOnTou
Joffa, another high quality post i see. Getting a premiership year wrong and calling it Thugby League, quality stuff if i have ever seen it.

16,000 was a good crowd, sorry mate, but most RL fans stopped comparing RL crowds to AFL crowds a long time ago. In terms of RL crowds, 16,000 was a good number. RL crowds so far this week have been good

15,000 - Parra/NQ
16,000 - Tigers/NZ
20,000 - Sharks/Roosters
16,000 - Dogs/Brisbane
9,500 - Raiders/Melb

Each code has their weak points, do u want to start talking about the recent international rules cup?? lol, now that was funny

Moffo

Calling it thugby was such an original that i thought you would all get a laugh from it ;) ;)

96, 97, who cares when it was, it was a farce and hollow as a log. Just like this years farce will be.
When a player on the "winning" team looks at their premiership medal in years to come, they will know in their hearts that it was gained under false pretences, and that the fools at the NRL completely wrecked the 2002 season.
What a mess Rugby League has become.Lurches from one disaster to the next. Super League, Roids everywhere, Souths kicked out, Auckland allowed to stay in, Hoapoate, and now this.

Thank god i left Sydney before i saw the demise of the game i once loved. It is a pathetic shell of the game I grew up with. I went to almost every home game at Belmore from about 1974 to 1988. I was on the front table at the Leagues club when the Dogs won their first premiership in 38 years in 1980. I marvelled at the great Dog and Parra teams of the 80's. I was intrigued with the original SOO clashes and a bloke called King Wally.

Sadly all of that is a thing of the past and RL is a pathetic shadow.

And BTW the International Rules series was nothing more than allowing a series of overseas competitions get a feel of the home of Aussie Rules. At least it wasn't as pathetically pretentious to call itself a "World Cup" as the RL does (and you people believe it). What an embarrassment and a joke that is.

Joffa...

:( :( YOU , yes YOU are the HOLLOW one.

How could you desert your old team and original footy code you were brought up with, especially seeing its in a bit of a plateau......

What is so pathetic about rugby league.......LIKE IN THIS INSTANCE there was a breach of salary cap, and NO afl club has cheated.......think again......my old afl club cheated for even a longer period than the Bulldogs did.......not to mention Essendon FC.....and EVERY EVERY other afl club.
You should tallk about roids in the afl........a Richmond player was suspended for 16 weeks for steriod abuse,....never mind the ones that were overlooked in the past.....don't deny it.....Gary Lyon has admitted to same.

What did the AFL do toFitzroy.....the biggest farce and schamozzle I could remember in afl......the Swans weren't treated much better.

How about the some credit for Souths re-admittance, never mind how it was done......they are now back.

How many afl clubs to face re-location in the future....at least 4 Melb. clubs ........ no different to what's happened in Sydney.....but the afl are more subtle in their application of getting rid of teams in Melb.

You are grossly unfair to rugby league.......its such a shame! Look in your own back yard first...

I attended AFL and would never desert my old team, even though now I prefer the game of league so much better, for too many reasons I care to mention here.

I will always buy a membership to my old afl club to keep them alive, even though I have lost a lot of interest in afl, but still attend some games with my friends.

I also agree with MOff, the pretend International Series, is quite a joke......it would be far better for each country to learn each other's rules and code and play out a series based on the original code of that particular country.

Joffa,

The teams in the RL world cup actually contained players who played the game for a living. The majority of teams fielded players who had experience in playing league. Sure, not all the countries who played have their own domestic comps, but that is changing (albeit slowly), as Lebanon (for instance) are looking at starting a competition for next with gov't backing. They are playing France in Beirut in October, and expecting 30-40,000. World Cup? Maybe a bit of a pipedream, but league has comps currently running in France, Russia, America, England, Scotland, Ireland, Fiji, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia, PNG. And more planned in Lebanon, Scotland and others into the future. Give it time ;)

My point is, i saw a story or two on the AFL international cup and some of the players had obviously never played the game before. Some of them looked like they were picked off the street, given a jersey to replace their flanno and then straight on the field. Good on the AFL for trying something different, but AFL simply has no history of international competition.

Yeh, RL is on a bit of a plateau. But if you take out all the media hype, crowds aren't to bad (compared to historical figures) and tv ratings are still comparable to AFL, even beating them at times (including the GF's last year). A lot of it is image, the game is still viewed as corporate, that is probably our biggest problem. Once some of the tools in the media change their mind about how league is going, it will rebound.

But for you to give up on a code because it struggles a bit is very shallow. What will u do when the aFL kick out 4 Melb teams and get the **** abused out of them? Will u jump ship again and go follow chess? True fans live through the bad and good. Take a look, the AFL has had a million bad stories this year, not to mention the drop offs in attendances this year (and the finals)

Moffo

The demise of what game? What is this jibberer on about?

OK, I realise living in Mexico has it's drawbacks, but I never realised the media down there was so bad.

Moffo

At least the AFL is smart enough not to play in such a competition..

Unlike the NRL who go into the "WORLD" Cup and embarress every other nation in the world.

There isnt that much of a difference there mate.

AFL is played in something like 45 countries, and it will continue to develop. But it will be a long time before the AFL bother humiliating other nations like League does.

Re: Joffa...

Originally posted by Ms.Storm
:( :( YOU , yes YOU are the HOLLOW one.

How could you desert your old team and original footy code you were brought up with, especially seeing its in a bit of a plateau......

What is so pathetic about rugby league.......LIKE IN THIS INSTANCE there was a breach of salary cap, and NO afl club has cheated.......think again......my old afl club cheated for even a longer period than the Bulldogs did.......not to mention Essendon FC.....and EVERY EVERY other afl club.
You should tallk about roids in the afl........a Richmond player was suspended for 16 weeks for steriod abuse,....never mind the ones that were overlooked in the past.....don't deny it.....Gary Lyon has admitted to same.

What did the AFL do toFitzroy.....the biggest farce and schamozzle I could remember in afl......the Swans weren't treated much better.

How about the some credit for Souths re-admittance, never mind how it was done......they are now back.

How many afl clubs to face re-location in the future....at least 4 Melb. clubs ........ no different to what's happened in Sydney.....but the afl are more subtle in their application of getting rid of teams in Melb.

You are grossly unfair to rugby league.......its such a shame! Look in your own back yard first...

I attended AFL and would never desert my old team, even though now I prefer the game of league so much better, for too many reasons I care to mention here.

I will always buy a membership to my old afl club to keep them alive, even though I have lost a lot of interest in afl, but still attend some games with my friends.

I also agree with MOff, the pretend International Series, is quite a joke......it would be far better for each country to learn each other's rules and code and play out a series based on the original code of that particular country.

Where do i start with this load of cr@p?
Cant you read or are you just a complete simpleton.

I live in Melbourne, i dont follow league closely anymore (except for the mighty Doggies).
Why did you turn this into a rant on AFL.
I did not once mention AFL except for the international rules that was being ragged on because it was amateurs playing it (like who said that it was gunna be anything more than it was?).

You have a very bad insecurity problem Ms Storm. And RL has a very big credibility problem.
1) Souths were kicked out by big business interests. Fitzroy merged with the Brisbane Bears to for the premiership winning Brisbane Lions. Where is the comparision? Sydney relocated fropm Sth Melb. Where is the comparision? Who are the four AFL sides about to relocate (what like Manly and Norths did?). Where is your source.
2) One player in AFL history found guilty of roids. How many RL players?
3) Where did I say i deserted my old team. listen you johnnie come lately, i saw my first Bulldog (then known as the Berries) game in 1967. Where were you?? I saw my first GB v Aust League test at the SGC in 1966. Where were you??? You know nothing about the game and I have seen more RL games live than you have had hot breakfasts. And i will NEVER see another one live again. It has lost me, except for watching the Dogs on Foxtel.
I said the game is stuffed. because of too many reasons to mention.
4) I was grossly unfair to RL? Oh cry me a river. it got no more than it deserved from a dissaffected ex League lover, who has found the delights of the truly great Aussie game AFL. I found that league is IMHO a fraud and inferior as a spectacle in every way to AFL.
From somebody who was part of the inner sanctum of a RL club you should take your ignorance and get a bit of perspective.

I cant see you answering this as you have no experience in the game of RL, you have no history, and are just a caustic zealot.

Mabye you will PM me again like you did a few months back because i had the audacity to disagree with one of your dogmatic opinions. Fool.

Joffa,

The teams in the RL world cup actually contained players who played the game for a living. The majority of teams fielded players who had experience in playing league. Sure, not all the countries who played have their own domestic comps, but that is changing (albeit slowly), as Lebanon (for instance) are looking at starting a competition for next with gov't backing. They are playing France in Beirut in October, and expecting 30-40,000. World Cup? Maybe a bit of a pipedream, but league has comps currently running in France, Russia, America, England, Scotland, Ireland, Fiji, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia, PNG. And more planned in Lebanon, Scotland and others into the future. Give it time ;)

My point is, i saw a story or two on the AFL international cup and some of the players had obviously never played the game before. Some of them looked like they were picked off the street, given a jersey to replace their flanno and then straight on the field. Good on the AFL for trying something different, but AFL simply has no history of international competition.

Yeh, RL is on a bit of a plateau. But if you take out all the media hype, crowds aren't to bad (compared to historical figures) and tv ratings are still comparable to AFL, even beating them at times (including the GF's last year). A lot of it is image, the game is still viewed as corporate, that is probably our biggest problem. Once some of the tools in the media change their mind about how league is going, it will rebound.

But for you to give up on a code because it struggles a bit is very shallow. What will u do when the aFL kick out 4 Melb teams and get the **** abused out of them? Will u jump ship again and go follow chess? True fans live through the bad and good. Take a look, the AFL has had a million bad stories this year, not to mention the drop offs in attendances this year (and the finals)

Moffo

Moffo

many of your points are fair and well reasoned. But a couple require addressing
1) I haven't given up on RL because it is struggling. It is because RL and the Sydney hype machine surrounding it is a fraud. Once i found the truly great game of AFL, I knew i had been had by a code that lacks what i love in sport.

2) All of the players in the International Cup played in their local leagues. To insult them in the manner you did suggests that you just wanted to slag them off.
Nobody compared the Comp to anything like a WC or even a high level comp. It was for players of the game in other parts of the world to experience the home of AFL and get a taste for their chosen sport.

I am not advocating you change allegiences but because I have found something better then the NRL dishes up, dont critisise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

eh Jaffayboy, RL extends beyond your island. You are the sort of fan that RL NEVER had, so stop your whining, crawl back down your hole and do civilsation a favour, FRAUD!

Originally posted by Ell-d5
eh Jaffayboy, RL extends beyond your island. You are the sort of fan that RL NEVER had, so stop your whining, crawl back down your hole and do civilsation a favour, FRAUD!

Wow, really put back in my place by such and erudite and well thought out response.
Good one newbie dropkick:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Joffaboy

Wow, really put back in my place by such and erudite and well thought out response.
Good one newbie dropkick:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

If you fancy 17 stone of dropkick your welcome to it. I think my Grandma would sort you out.

Re: Re: Joffa...

Where do i start with this load of cr@p?
Cant you read or are you just a complete simpleton.

I live in Melbourne, i dont follow league closely anymore (except for the mighty Doggies).
Why did you turn this into a rant on AFL.
I did not once mention AFL except for the international rules that was being ragged on because it was amateurs playing it (like who said that it was gunna be anything more than it was?).

You have a very bad insecurity problem Ms Storm. And RL has a very big credibility problem.
1) Souths were kicked out by big business interests. Fitzroy merged with the Brisbane Bears to for the premiership winning Brisbane Lions. Where is the comparision? Sydney relocated fropm Sth Melb. Where is the comparision? Who are the four AFL sides about to relocate (what like Manly and Norths did?). Where is your source.
2) One player in AFL history found guilty of roids. How many RL players?
3) Where did I say i deserted my old team. listen you johnnie come lately, i saw my first Bulldog (then known as the Berries) game in 1967. Where were you?? I saw my first GB v Aust League test at the SGC in 1966. Where were you??? You know nothing about the game and I have seen more RL games live than you have had hot breakfasts. And i will NEVER see another one live again. It has lost me, except for watching the Dogs on Foxtel.
I said the game is stuffed. because of too many reasons to mention.
4) I was grossly unfair to RL? Oh cry me a river. it got no more than it deserved from a dissaffected ex League lover, who has found the delights of the truly great Aussie game AFL. I found that league is IMHO a fraud and inferior as a spectacle in every way to AFL.
From somebody who was part of the inner sanctum of a RL club you should take your ignorance and get a bit of perspective.

I cant see you answering this as you have no experience in the game of RL, you have no history, and are just a caustic zealot.

Mabye you will PM me again like you did a few months back because i had the audacity to disagree with one of your dogmatic opinions. Fool.

Joffa,

Where do I start.......:confused:

Aren't I entitled to my opinion? Yes, I have not followed League for as long as you, but it does not prevent me for appreciating the game and I have read many of your posts prior......

I basically just want to say, that I feel you have deserted the game of league........sure for whatever reason you want to rant on about......and at the same time, try and discredit people who have a different opinion and feeling about the game than you.

When I emailed you that time, it was in fun.....you don't seem to have too much of a sense of humour or fun about you.

I couldn't and don't want to be bothered replying to some of your *garbage* because in my opinion, you aren't worth it.:rolleyes:

Re: Re: Re: Joffa...

Originally posted by Ms.Storm

Joffa,

Where do I start.......:confused:

Aren't I entitled to my opinion? Yes, I have not followed League for as long as you, but it does not prevent me for appreciating the game and I have read many of your posts prior......

I basically just want to say, that I feel you have deserted the game of league........sure for whatever reason you want to rant on about......and at the same time, try and discredit people who have a different opinion and feeling about the game than you.

When I emailed you that time, it was in fun.....you don't seem to have too much of a sense of humour or fun about you.

I couldn't and don't want to be bothered replying to some of your *garbage* because in my opinion, you aren't worth it.:rolleyes:

Opinions are one thing Ms Storm, ignorant critisism is another.
You can have an opinion, but get a some life experience little girl, and make sure you know whom you are slagging off before you launch your caustic zealotry.
So abusing someone on a PM is fun to you. Just shows the type of insecure know nothing child you really are.
PS Showed my wife your PM and she laughed at your stupidity.

Originally posted by Ell-d5

If you fancy 17 stone of dropkick your welcome to it. I think my Grandma would sort you out.

If you are 17 stone newbie, you wouldn't be able to get off your fat @rse. Probably from too much junk food and beer while watching the intellectual persuit of Rugby League.

If you are 17 stone newbie, you wouldn't be able to get off your fat @rse. Probably from too much junk food and beer while watching the intellectual persuit of Rugby League.

Don't you mean PURSUIT?

If intylekchewl snobbery is your thing, at least learn to spell propurlee. :p :D

Fair enough Joffa, we all have the freedom of choice, thats fine. If AFL is played in all these other countries of a serious or semi-serious level, id like to see it. Im not suggesting that RL is fair dinkum in a country like Morocco, but i think in global terms, it would be ridiculous to compare RL with AFL. It would be like comparing RL crowds to AFL crowds.

Russia are playing the US next week in Moscow, a crowd of 40k is tipped. Bull**** i hear you all say, but ill post up some credible reports next week after the game. A game in Beirut between Lebanon and France in Oct is tipped to draw 30k as well.

If u call the Sydney media a RL propaganda machine, than what is Melbourne to the AFL?? Its exactly the same mate! 10 pages a day, nothing else is ever talked about. Nothing will convince me otherwise, AFL is more publicised in Melb than RL is publicised in Syd. I promise you that one ;)

Moffo

Re: Re: Re: Re: Joffa...

Opinions are one thing Ms Storm, ignorant critisism is another.
You can have an opinion, but get a some life experience little girl, and make sure you know whom you are slagging off before you launch your caustic zealotry.
So abusing someone on a PM is fun to you. Just shows the type of insecure know nothing child you really are.
PS Showed my wife your PM and she laughed at your stupidity.

Well Mr. JoffaBoy:p or JoffaMan more like it!

If you call that obuse, you should know, because you do it all the time:rolleyes:

Lighten up a little pls.:p

For Joffa...i did say i would get this for you :) Go the Ruskis!

Russia beat USA

by League Express on Friday, September 13, 2002 at 4:57:12 PM GMT+1

THE USA ended their two-match tour of Russia with a 54-10 defeat at Moscow’s Olympic Stadium.

The Russians were far too powerful and quick-thinking for their American opponents and romped into a 30-6 lead with Robert Illyasov, star of the show in Tatarstan’s 30-24 win over the US last Monday, again to the fore.
An estimated crowd of around 35,000 people were vociferous in their support of their team as Rugby League looks to be on the verge of becoming a major sport in Russia.
The Americans tried hard to stem the flow in the second half but injuries and fatigue eventually proved too much.
A return fixture is being planned for next year in the States, with New York and Philadelphia the likely venues.

READ TONY HANNAN’S EYE-WITNESS REPORTS IN MONDAY’S RUGBY LEAGUER & LEAGUE EXPRESS

Credit: www.totalrl.com

Bit of background on it, thanks again to totalrl

Russia-USA historic clash

by League Express on Friday, September 13, 2002 at 8:22:31 AM GMT+1

The Russian Federation is preparing itself for its first ever nationally televised Rugby League match tonight, when Russia will face the USA at Moscow’s 84,000 capacity Olympic Stadium.

Ticket sales are reported to be going well – " we are hopeful of at least 35,00 people at the game," said Russian RL chairman Vladimir Dolghin – and the event is receiving extensive media coverage in newspapers, TV and radio.
The game will also make history by being the first Rugby League match to take place on artificial turf.
Against the backdrop of last year’s 9|11 tragedy in New York, the Americans have become a tourist attraction.
On Wednesday, they and the Russian squad were invited to a 9\11 remembrance evening at the glitzy Arpat Leisure Complex in the heart of Moscow. There will also be a one-minute silence before tonight’s game.
The Broadway Musical 42nd Street is being brought to Moscow, and the American cast of the show treated the VIP guests present to a spine-tingling rendition of the Star Spangled Banner as well as other song and dance numbers from the production.
The American Ambassador is expected to be present tonight – the Consulate has bought a thousand tickets to ensure some US support – and the entire Russian government has been invited, including President Putin, with the RRL administrators showing that they have both the financial and political clout to make RL a leading sport right across the Russian Federation.
Both squads trained at the stadium this week and the youthful Russian team will include Kazan Arrows winger Robert Illiasov, who scored four tries in Monday night’s 30-24 win for Tatarstan in Kazan.
The rest of the Russian side hail from Moscow’s Locomotiv and Magicians clubs.
The USA have two injury doubts – winger Chris Craig and forward Mike Edwards. Both have leg injuries. They know they will have to improve on Monday night’s performance if they are to collect their first eve win against Russian opposition.

Cheers,
Moffo

Remove this Banner Ad

Hollow victory for whoever wins premiership

Remove this Banner Ad

Back