homesickness

Remove this Banner Ad

lecca

Debutant
Jul 16, 2008
bunbury
AFL Club
West Coast
Are our footballers mummys boys?I think of sports in america,where players from all across the US play whereever they are drafted to,without wanting to be traded home(the nba for example).You dont see say a guy from Seattle get drafted by Indiana,and then want a trade to the Seattle supersonics,coz its his "hometown team".Or are we better of doing what the Gaelic football does,and have a national based competition?WA,SA,VIC,NSW,QLD,TAS,NT(even though it might be the offseason for the nt).thoughts anyone?

Bloody oath they are. Posted the exact same thing on the RO'K thread last night, most of them are pussy's who still want mummy want around.

Same can be said for European footballers, even including the young 15 year olds who do football apprentices with EPL clubs pursuing their dreams getting paid shit.

Unfortunately, I think it has alot to do with Australian culture. Most are not conditioned to forge their own identity and path in life away from mummy. When I finished year 12, instead of applying to uni's in Melbourne, I headed to Perth to head to uni at UWA and play footy because I wanted to stand on my own two feet and be my own man. I then headed to Boston to study for a year, headed back to Perth, worked, which brought back me back to Melbourne where I have been for a few years and have now taken up a new position in Brisbane.

It is amazing how much you grow when away from family, AFL players should try it some time, they will survive!

dylan12 i agree 100%.i just think of all other leagues and sports all over the world,and think of sacrifices athletes/sports stars make to play at the highest level and make something of themselves.Isnt the chance to play afl enough?It would be for me,i might be a west coast supporter but id play for any club just to play in the afl.Youd think some of these guys are living on the moon,with the desperation they show to get home.I just think a lot of these guys are mummy boys and need to toughen up.

Bloody oath they are. Posted the exact same thing on the RO'K thread last night, most of them are pussy's who still want mummy want around.

Same can be said for European footballers, even including the young 15 year olds who do football apprentices with EPL clubs pursuing their dreams getting paid shit.

Unfortunately, I think it has alot to do with Australian culture. Most are not conditioned to forge their own identity and path in life away from mummy. When I finished year 12, instead of applying to uni's in Melbourne, I headed to Perth to head to uni at UWA and play footy because I wanted to stand on my own two feet and be my own man. I then headed to Boston to study for a year, headed back to Perth, worked, which brought back me back to Melbourne where I have been for a few years and have now taken up a new position in Brisbane.

It is amazing how much you grow when away from family, AFL players should try it some time, they will survive!

Impressive post:thumbsu:.
I said something similar around here a few years back about a certain player who gutsed out on a move to Brisbane. I used the analogy of saying that if it was my son I would be pushing him out the door. I was accused of, get this! not caring about my son. No. I would have just wanted him to gain life experience and that as you understand is something you are unable to get sitting comfortably at home.

Opportunities like this are available to so few.

Make the most of them, make the money while you can - it is for such a short period of your life when your "career" if your one of the lucky ones only lasts until around the age of thirty, for others a lot sooner.

Plenty of time to go back home then.

Yep it's bullshit. Imagine us posters earning like $200k per year. As if we'd complain if we lived 1 or 2 hours flight from our families. Get a girlfriend/wife and all you're missing is your siblings/parents really and if they live in melbourne you'd see them every month during AFL season anyway.

Everybody is different and unless you know their personal circumstances i don't think it is fair to pass judgement. Just because you are well travelled and independent doesn't mean others will be the same.

what some people fail to realise is that some people do not have the skill set or tools to be able to live "away". some people do face serious mental health issues so if they need and want to come home they should be allowed to, I think the AFL has failed to see or appreciate this. However in order to not make a joke of this I feel there should be some penalty involved, otherwise players would exploit this for financial or significant personal gain. Maybe the penalty could or should be a significant reduction in salary, then we would be able to seperate those that are truly homesick.

For example if ROK wanted to come home and he is on say 600K a yr then maybe a 25% reduction, ok that was some random number but you get my drift. Lets then see who is really that "homesick".

Oh dear I sense abuse to come my way for my comment, its ok, I dont care!

What a load of crap, they aren't mummy's boys.

Maybe they want to be back in the state they are from so they can see their friends all the time.

Believe it or not, not all footballers just give up their old mates and want to hang around footballers all their social lives.

Jimmy Bartel comes to mind as a player whom if he had got traded to an interstate club would definately be wanting to come back so he was closer to his mates.

Imagine being drafted by Adelaide and when you got there you thought the town sucked arse and hated the place from the get go.

As if you'd want to live somewhere you dont like for 10 years.

As for the genius who said NBA players don't ask for transfers back to their home towns.

How about the fact NBA players can often refuse to go to certain towns?

Allen Iverson springs to mind as someone who basically said he'd only go to 2-3 teams and the rest he'd ot even entertain the thought.

Not a good example with the USA.

Pro footballers go to a College for 3-4 years first. They don't enter the draft until 20-22 years old.

True they travel interstate to go to College, but it's worth it. The University system here is also very different from Australia. They have College towns, where its basically a country town with a massive college in it.

Picture Ballarat with 45,000 uni students hanging out. With a Nationally ranked Football team who generates more income than Collingwood ($80 million).

Pro footballers in the States have already played at a Collegiate level, which is a far higher standard than VFL in Australia (SEC, for example). By the time they get drafted to the Pro's they have already travelled the States playing, already been exposed to crowds of 100,000 people and already been in National televised games before 100 million audience (Bowl games).

As you see, very different than some 17 year old from Frankston having to move to Perth as a professional. It's about perspective.

Not a good example with the USA.

Pro footballers go to a College for 3-4 years first. They don't enter the draft until 20-22 years old.

True they travel interstate to go to College, but it's worth it. The University system here is also very different from Australia. They have College towns, where its basically a country town with a massive college in it.

Picture Ballarat with 45,000 uni students hanging out. With a Nationally ranked Football team who generates more income than Collingwood ($80 million).

Pro footballers in the States have already played at a Collegiate level, which is a far higher standard than VFL in Australia (SEC, for example). By the time they get drafted to the Pro's they have already travelled the States playing, already been exposed to crowds of 100,000 people and already been in National televised games before 100 million audience (Bowl games).

As you see, very different than some 17 year old from Frankston having to move to Perth as a professional. It's about perspective.

True and the hero worship is something that cannot be compared to with AFL.

In the states these players are literally like superstars in their hometown, unless of course they are losing ! :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what some people fail to realise is that some people do not have the skill set or tools to be able to live "away". some people do face serious mental health issues so if they need and want to come home they should be allowed to, I think the AFL has failed to see or appreciate this. However in order to not make a joke of this I feel there should be some penalty involved, otherwise players would exploit this for financial or significant personal gain. Maybe the penalty could or should be a significant reduction in salary, then we would be able to seperate those that are truly homesick.

For example if ROK wanted to come home and he is on say 600K a yr then maybe a 25% reduction, ok that was some random number but you get my drift. Lets then see who is really that "homesick".

Oh dear I sense abuse to come my way for my comment, its ok, I dont care!

You will receive no abuse from me for your opinion.

If individuals do not have the "skill set or tools to be able to live "away"" but are still very good footy players they can be thankful that they are gifted as Australian Rules players and not players of other sports.
Footy players having the opportunity to stay and get payed handsomely and be still living in their home towns the vast majority of the time is a very unique opportunity that does not exist in any ( that I know of) professional sport. All of those issues that you mentioned above would not even come into consideration in Euro soccer leagues, US sporting leagues, international cricket etc etc. As hard as that maybe on certain individuals they would be left behind.

Taking aside the issues for certain individuals that you suggest about skill sets and mental health I still would very disappointed if the majority of young blokes did not take the opportunity to broaden their horizons away from the safety of home. In this day and age Brisbane to Melbourne is a 2 hour ride. It ain't that far.

You will receive no abuse from me for your opinion.

If individuals do not have the "skill set or tools to be able to live "away"" but are still very good footy players they can be thankful that they are gifted as Australian Rules players and not players of other sports.
Footy players having the opportunity to stay and get payed handsomely and be still living in their home towns the vast majority of the time is a very unique opportunity that does not exist in any ( that I know of) professional sport. All of those issues that you mentioned above would not even come into consideration in Euro soccer leagues, US sporting leagues, international cricket etc etc. As hard as that maybe on certain individuals they would be left behind.

Taking aside the issues for certain individuals that you suggest about skill sets and mental health I still would very disappointed if the majority of young blokes did not take the opportunity to broaden their horizons away from the safety of home. In this day and age Brisbane to Melbourne is a 2 hour ride. It ain't that far.

good discussion.

Thanks for disagreeing with me in a professional manner.:thumbsu:

I do agree with all your points your raised.

However the point I am trying to make though is that some players may not be mentally well enough to cope with the pressure and demands of being away. The AFL should set an an example for all sports to enable those that may suffer mental illness some help.

Look at the Channel 10 news reader Charmaine Tragoon (spelling?) she committed suicide because she couldnt cope with living in Sydney as she wanted to be home in WA, even despite having a good paying job.

Does the AFL need a suicide by player that is suffering from mental health issues for this to be bought to their attention? This may be an extreme example I agree, but there at least needs to be options available for a player that is in this situation or predicament, to do this.

I can see possibly one day a OH&S issue arising from this, if a player did commit suicide as the AFL did not help or fascilate a transfer there could be a legal recourse by all parties concerned.

I think personally players should be able to have the option to come home if they are not coping however I think there should be financial penalties involved so it does not become farcical either. Ultimately a player in a happier environment is going to play better and entertain us more than if he were not in one.

Lets hope noone from seattle requests a trade home, they'll find it rather distressing when they end up in oaklahoma playing for the thunder as the sonics are now known.

its a lame excuse for wanting to be in the limelight.

you rarely see players wanting to head to SA, WA, NSW, QLD (yes there is a few, but not many). it is abotu players wanting to experience the fame and fortune in footy's home state.

if there was a significant home in NFL or NBA, there would be more of this kind of move, but in those sports, you are going to be recognised pretty much the same no matter your state.

I think the major difference is if you are a victorian in a victorian based club, you play interstate maybe 5 times max. The remaining 47 weeks of the year you are based at home, with family and friends. That is the appeal for victorian born players drafted interstate.

In american sports, there is generally one team per state, so you play half of your games away from your home. The advantages are not the same.

To the people who think they are mummy boys, if you worked interstate but could get the same job for the same/more money at your home state, you would most likely jump at the chance. However as Ryan O'Keefe shows, it isnt that easy to get the home trade.

its a lame excuse for wanting to be in the limelight.

you rarely see players wanting to head to SA, WA, NSW, QLD (yes there is a few, but not many). it is abotu players wanting to experience the fame and fortune in footy's home state.

if there was a significant home in NFL or NBA, there would be more of this kind of move, but in those sports, you are going to be recognised pretty much the same no matter your state.

Bingo ! Most are earning enough money to be able to dictate where they live and work.
Once players establish themselves as competent AFL footballers they then have a choice of what part of the country they employ their trade ..same as most successful people in other walks of life.

A lot of young indigenous players pine for their family and home ..simply because city life is such a foreign enviroment for them .

Let's pick another profession - say teaching.
You get your degree and you get the first job of your dreams - but it's interstate. Oh well, it's all exciting so you move any way and get stuck in.

Work for a couple of years - after a while, you would like to come back home. See the family etc. Apply for a transfer. One position open in home town - less $$$.

You now have three options.
1. Stay where you are, sign new contract, try again in a couple of years.
2. Go home and take less money.
3. Decide 'Well, teaching ain't all it's cracked up to be, and I can't seem to get where I want - oh well, I'll quit and go do something else'.

If you don't like the employment conditions for AFL Footballers, don't be one. Do something else. There's a whole world out there other than kicking a bladder around.

Let's pick another profession - say teaching.
You get your degree and you get the first job of your dreams - but it's interstate. Oh well, it's all exciting so you move any way and get stuck in.

Work for a couple of years - after a while, you would like to come back home. See the family etc. Apply for a transfer. One position open in home town - less $$$.

You now have three options.
1. Stay where you are, sign new contract, try again in a couple of years.
2. Go home and take less money.
3. Decide 'Well, teaching ain't all it's cracked up to be, and I can't seem to get where I want - oh well, I'll quit and go do something else'.

If you don't like the employment conditions for AFL Footballers, don't be one. Do something else. There's a whole world out there other than kicking a bladder around.

agree, Fev would make a great teacher..

Don't think its a matter of been mummies boys.

I think that initially a player will go anywhere, as long as they are given the opportunity. The players dont really have much say in where they are drafted in the ND.

However, when they establish themselves and clubs are offering big bucks, then they have a say in where they can play. With 10 Victorian clubs, they have plenty of options to come home back to Victoria.

If you have the choice, and teams are willing to offer big contracts...of course you would prefer to play in your home state, near family and friends.

Remove this Banner Ad

homesickness

Remove this Banner Ad

Back