Hopefully the Windies are competitive.

Remove this Banner Ad

May 10, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Paki's have been disgraceful, don't hold out much hope for the Windies. They're missing Sarwan, Chanderpaul, Taylor, Edwards and Barath.

West Indies squad Chris Gayle (capt), Travis Dowlin, Runako Morton, Dwayne Bravo, Narsingh Deonarine, Brendan Nash, Kieron Pollard, Dwayne Smith, Denesh Ramdin (wk), Darren Sammy, Lendl Simmons, Nikita Miller, Ravi Rampaul, Kemar Roach, Gavin Tonge.

They're also missing Sulieman Benn and Darren Bravo....

As I mentioned in this thread (West Indies ODI Squad) the squad isn't too bad. It's a mix of solid performers, players with a lot of potential and quite a few all rounders. It's just missing the big names.

Chris Gayle
Runako Morton
Lendl Simmons
Travis Dowlin
Dwayne Bravo
Kieron Pollard
Denesh Ramdin
Darren Sammy/Narsingh Deonarine
Nikita Miller
Ravi Rampaul
Kemar Roach

Any team with the likes of Gayle, Bravo, Pollard, Ramdin and Roach is a good team. The West Indies have 5 genuine game changers, whereas Pakistan only have the one. And unlike in the past the West Indies actually have some patience now....

There were some good signs in their last two tests, no doubt about that. I think that the Windies will steal an ODI or two as well as the T20's. Pakistan just want to get the plane back home, it's been that way since that disastrous fourth day in the Sydney test.

most of the windies team are taylor made one day players, morton and pollard in particular, dont be fooled because sarwan and chanderpaul arent there, they have a good team which should be competitive in all the games. Chris Gayle can make a big score on his own and if everyone else chips in with pollard and bravo to finish the innings off they will make good scores.

Not sure about Runako Morton being made for limited overs cricket. He does have the record for the longest ever duck in ODI cricket (31 balls). He is more in the team to partner Gayle and not get out early, although he can go big when needed.

I'm looking forward to seeing Morton face up to some of the Australian quicks though. You can guarantee Morton wont be backing away, and will more than give his own back....

Paki's have been disgraceful, don't hold out much hope for the Windies. They're missing Sarwan, Chanderpaul, Taylor, Edwards and Barath.

West Indies squad Chris Gayle (capt), Travis Dowlin, Runako Morton, Dwayne Bravo, Narsingh Deonarine, Brendan Nash, Kieron Pollard, Dwayne Smith, Denesh Ramdin (wk), Darren Sammy, Lendl Simmons, Nikita Miller, Ravi Rampaul, Kemar Roach, Gavin Tonge.

That's a bit premature. Give the Windies a chance remembering they have Gayle, Bravo and Pollard (all player who would get in the Aus team) along with excellent one day role players in Smith and Sammy. However you are right when you say they're missing some key players who if in I would honestly say would make the series a coin toss

I think (and hope) they'll put on a good show and win a few matches. did anyone see the match in the ICL Trinidad-Tobago Vs Diamond Eagles??? TT were fantastically entertaining hopefully we'll see something like that from the Windies.

Apart from the batting in Brisbane I thought the Windies were pretty disciplined in the test series, they just didn't quite have the talent. Pakistan have been a disgrace when they really should have more to give.

There's a guy named Nikita? :D

Nikita can be a Russian male name.

BTW, Pollard wouldn't even come close to the Australian team.

As for those using the Test series as an indicator that the WI will give us a hard time, you must remember that Australia's ODI side is better than their Test side. There is no notable difference between WI's ODI side and Test side - at least in terms of performance.

They may be more competitive than Pakistan, though.

Nikita can be a Russian male name.

BTW, Pollard wouldn't even come close to the Australian team.

As for those using the Test series as an indicator that the WI will give us a hard time, you must remember that Australia's ODI side is better than their Test side. There is no notable difference between WI's ODI side and Test side - at least in terms of performance.

They may be more competitive than Pakistan, though.

Disagree Pollard is as good as Warner who got a game for Australia based on his 20/20 form and he can bowl. As an all-rounder he would definately be in the rotation. (Let's be honest he was SA's top player and he would be very handy in the last 10 overs of a one dayer)

Your point about test and odi differences in performance are correct in defining Australia but you could hardley make that judgement on the West Indies with half their team out.

On the basis that the Windies have more matchwinners in their side despite the injuries i would agree with your stance that the windies will be more competitive than Pakistan were.

There's a guy named Nikita? :D
history-84.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dwayne Bravo is the latest Windies player to be ruled out of the T20's and ODI's. He hasn't recovered from a broken thumb he sustained while playing for Victoria.

Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Ramnaresh Sarwan, Fidel Edwards, Jerome Taylor, Adrian Barath, Sulieman Benn, Darren Bravo and Dwayne Bravo are all missing through injury. And if fit, all 8 would have been named in the squad.

33 year old Wavell Hinds returns to the squad for the first time since 2006. Since then he was a part of the ICL and then signed a Kolpak deal with Derbyshire. Hinds will likely just provide depth for the middle order and opening positions.

With the likes of Deonarine, Nash and Morton already in the squad, I would have preferred someone like Andre Fletcher or Xavier Marshall getting the call up. Or even Kraigg Braithwaite who starred in the U19 World Cup. But still, with the guys missing, a bit of experience wont go astray....

Disagree Pollard is as good as Warner who got a game for Australia based on his 20/20 form and he can bowl. As an all-rounder he would definately be in the rotation. (Let's be honest he was SA's top player and he would be very handy in the last 10 overs of a one dayer)

Yeah, but David Warner was very poor at the highest level. You're right in saying that he could be dangerous during the last 10 overs, but his type often strikes me as being very hot-and-cold.

T20 form also doesn't = ODI form.

Your point about test and odi differences in performance are correct in defining Australia but you could hardley make that judgement on the West Indies with half their team out.

Well, maybe the newcomers will surpass all expectations, but it seems unlikely. The team hangs more heavily on Gayle than before. If he fails, then their chances of winning decrease substantially.

I was pleased the Windies stuck with the same team for the 2nd ODI, but maybe it is time for a change....

The problem is that they only have two batsmen left in the squad - Wavell Hinds and Brendan Nash. Hinds can bat anywhere from 1 - 7, while Nash is best suited to 5 - 7. I think it's safe to say both players will come in, and it will be at the expense of two of Morton, Simmons and Dowlin.

Personally, I would leave Nash out of the squad for now. And just bring in Hinds for Morton. And then just reshuffle the order around a bit.

Chris Gayle
Lendl Simmons
Wavell Hinds
Travis Dowlin
Keiron Pollard
Narsingh Deonarine
Denesh Ramdin
Dwayne Smith
Nikita Miller
Gavin Tonge
Kemar Roach

It's not the greatest team obviously, and it could use a bit more fire power in the form of a Marshall, Fletcher or Findlay. But they aren't awful players either, and most showed promise in the Test series. All they need is for the top 3 to bat through 15 or so overs, and see off the new ball.

Well, did anyone really expect a great series?

When you play the worst sides in the rankings (aside from the 'developing' nations) in the same summer then a rather one-sided bunch of matches is likely to follow.

Having said that, both the Windies and Pakistan were very competitive in the tests, and unlucky not to win a match each, so that was pleasing, but the ODI's have been nothing short of a disaster.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hopefully the Windies are competitive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back