Hottest 100 of 2014 prediction thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It never used to be like that, there used to be an older Triple J demographic that had a more knowledgeable taste in music voting in the Hottest 100, but now with Triple J becoming more mainstream and the advent of facebook, twitter and iphones it's become more influenced by teenagers that wouldn't know anything other than the latest hipster Aussie artists like Chet Faker and Peking Duk so they vote en masse for them.

The modern day Triple J presenters and music directors are as much to blame for it with the shit they play which seems to be mostly bland generic Aussie hip hop or hipster type music, there's very little variety. Back in the 90s we'd get a diverse range of UK bands like Radiohead, Blur, Oasis, Supergrass, Pulp, Teenage Fanclub and US bands like Tool, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, Green Day, Cake, Mercury Rev with a mix of great local Aussie bands like Spiderbait, You Am I, Regurgitator, Silverchair, Tumbleweed and Jebediah, Mikey Robbins even used to play The Church's new stuff in the late 90s on his breakfast program when they were well past being cool. A band like The Church wouldn't get a look in these days on Triple J no matter how good their music was.

Maybe music was just better back then but Triple J's playlist these days certainly doesn't help, if they play shit music the kids will vote for shit music.
So basically what you're saying is - back in the day people used to like rock and versions of rock. Now people have evolved and aren't amazed by 3 cord songs with shit lyrics, so let's hate on chet faker who has well written lyrics and has gone beyond the one strum guitar crap. Yeah those damn hipsters who don't like that awesome rock!!!

So for all the people saying chet faker is shit - whats your number one? Go one - have the guts to put your music up here

I didn't even vote for talk is cheap as my favourite but it's a deserving winner

This song, it may not be the Black Keys best song but it's still original and memorable unlike Chet Faker's song which no one will ever remember

So basically what you're saying is - back in the day people used to like rock and versions of rock. Now people have evolved and aren't amazed by 3 cord songs with shit lyrics, so let's hate on chet faker who has well written lyrics and has gone beyond the one strum guitar crap. Yeah those damn hipsters who don't like that awesome rock!!!

Evolved from progressive innovative rock bands like Radiohead and Tool to lame boring generic shit like Chet Faker, you're either trolling or you have no clue about music whatsoever.

This song, it may not be the Black Keys best song but it's still original and memorable unlike Chet Faker's song which no one will ever remember

Evolved from progressive innovative rock bands like Radiohead and Tool to lame boring generic shit like Chet Faker, you're either trolling or you have no clue about music whatsoever.

That black keys song is okay. It is not a rock song like radio head or spider bait. It s not as good as Talk is Cheap though

Every single year there is whinging about the winning song.

Even in the 20 year countdown people were saying it's a joke that Wonderwall won.

The reason Chet Faker won is because thousands of people like the song and voted for it. Just because you don't like it, doesn't make it a shit song.

Music is subjective deal with it

With Chet it comes down to one old simple thing, the timbre of his voice just doesn't resonate with me at all is how I would put it.

Ill give you my favourite 3 that made the top 50.
The Preatures - Somebody's Talking
FKA Twigs - Two Weeks
TV on the Radio - Happy Idiot.

With Chet it comes down to one old simple thing, the timbre of his voice just doesn't resonate with me at all is how I would put it.

Ill give you my favourite 3 that made the top 50.
The Preatures - Somebody's Talking
FKA Twigs - Two Weeks
TV on the Radio - Happy Idiot.
Are you talking down Chet's voice and talking up the bloke from TV on the radio? Wowza...

I like the other 2 songs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh Plugger, never change.

The US and UK bands I mentioned have all had worldwide success including The Black Keys.

Chet Faker has only achieved success amongst clueless Triple J listeners here, in the UK and the US he'd be lucky to get a busking gig, no one would know who he is.

The US and UK bands I mentioned have all had worldwide success including The Black Keys.

Chet Faker has only achieved success amongst clueless Triple J listeners here, in the UK and the US he'd be lucky to get a busking gig, no one would know who he is.
Who cares what the US and UK like but?

Yeah fair call, was just about to comment again saying what you said above :p

I guess more people like Chet's voice hey ;)
Yep and while I don't agree with him putting out the 'best triple j' song of the year, he has by weight of numbers. Main purpose of any sort of countdown achieved but, we all get to have a big ol discussion about music.

Why are you being a music snob in this thread

Would you really have rathered NOVA FM "High"? Just becase a song a slow doesnt mean it not good

Can you point me to the post where i suggested it should have been high? I wasn't aware that was the only other option. Also if you can show me where i said something isn't good because it is slow that would be great.

Yep and while I don't agree with him putting out the 'best triple j' song of the year, he has by weight of numbers. Main purpose of any sort of countdown achieved but, we all get to have a big ol discussion about music.
And I can't be bothered with a massive discussion online that's for sure... well not now at least. Just like reading reading the hate that occurs every year, it's hilarious.

Can you point me to the post where i suggested it should have been high? I wasn't aware that was the only other option. Also if you can show me where i said something isn't good because it is slow that would be great.

It's pretty much been a choice of two for weeks

Also I'm skinned no need to take anything seriously

And I can't be bothered with a massive discussion online that's for sure... well not now at least. Just like reading reading the hate that occurs every year, it's hilarious.
Welcome to the Internet!

More that people can sit around with friends arguing each song!

Who cares what the US and UK like but?

Generally the best Aussie bands and artists have had success overseas like ACDC, INXS, The Church, Silverchair, Gotye, Kylie Minogue etc.

They were all original though unlike Chet Faker, there's nothing special about him that would make him a worldwide success.

Why are you being a music snob in this thread

I'm just filling in for Silent Alarm

Remove this Banner Ad

Hottest 100 of 2014 prediction thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back