Hottest 100 of 2014 prediction thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
Almost that time of year again. Looking forward to seeing the big lists from people such as thewitness . Admittedly I haven't listed to the J's as much this year since I got a phone connector hooked up in my car, but I still look forward to it each year.

I'll post my shortlist soon – and if the negative comments about JJJ could be kept out of this thread then that'd be great (it seems to happen every year), there's just no need

So far my noms would be, but waiting on a few more artists to drop albums (Yeezy, Frank Ocean, Kendrick):

Chet Faker - 1998
Courtney Barnett- Pickles From the Jar
Kimbra - Miracle
Black Keys - 10 Lovers
Flying Lotus - Never Catch Me
Gang of Youths - Poison Drum
Saskwatch - Born to Break Your Heart
Cloud Nothings - I'm Not Part of Me
Porter Robinson - Flicker
Sohn - Artiface

Good year for Oz music; Barnett, Preatures, Gang Of Youths, Chet Faker, Remi, Kingswood

Thought it would be pretty dull year after major artists/hyped new international acts were dropping their records in 2013, but good to see a stack of promising artists bursting onto the scene to fill that hole.

Okay here's my shortlist. Sticking to the rule I've applied the last few years of one song per artist.

Allday - Right Now
Alt-J - Left Hand Free
Art vs Science - Create/Destroy
Ball Park Music - A Good Life Is the Best Revenge
The Bohicas - XXX
Bombay Bicycle Club - Carry Me
Chet Faker - Cigarettes & Loneliness
DMA's - Delete
Duke Dumont - I Got U {ft. Jax Jones}
Jungle - Julia
The Kooks - Bad Habit
Mac DeMarco - Chamber of Reflection
Metronomy - The Upsetter
Sticky Fingers - Gold Snafu
The War On Drugs - Red Eyes

Last edited:

Few songs I expect to poll well:
Milky Chance- Stolen Dance
Zhu- Faded
Peking Duk- High
Peking Duk- Take Me Over (feat. SAFIA)
Chet Faker- Talk Is Cheap
SBTRKT- New Dorp, New York (feat. Ezra)
Jungle- Busy Earnin'
Jamie T- Zombie
Future Islands- Seasons
The Kite String Tangle- Arcadia
Vance Joy- Mess Is Mine

My Shortlist at this stage:
Banks- Drowning
Broods- Mother & Father
Circa Waves- Stuck In My Teeth
City Calm Down- Pavement
Darlia- Dear Diary
The Delta Riggs- Supersonic Casualties
DMA's- Laced
DZ Deathrays- Keep Myself On Edge
Ecca Vandal- White Flag
The Horrors- So Now You Know
Interpol- All The Rage Back Home
Jamie T- Turn On the Light
King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard- Cellophane
Peace- Money
Rolls Bayce- Don't Get Me Wrong
San Cisco- Run
Skaters- Schemers
Superfood- Right On Satellite
Temples- Keep In The Dark
The War On Drugs- Red Eyes
Wolf Alice- Moaning Lisa Smile

so far I'd be looking at voting for

Foo Fighters - Something from Nothing
Violent Soho - Saramona Said
Royal Blood - Ten Tonne Skeleton
A$AP Mob - Trillmatic (ft. Method Man)
Kendrick Lamar - i
Kingswood - I Can Feel That You Don't Love Me
Bring Me The Horizon - Drown
Illy - Tightrope

still waiting on the full Fooies release, new Kanye (hopefully). not anywhere near as great as last year's shaped up, bit of a downer this year in comparison

expect

Milky Chance - Stolen Dance
Vance Joy - Mess is Mine
Lorde - Yellow Flicker Beat
Chet Faker - Talk is Cheap
JBT - Happy (Like a Version)
Kendrick Lamar - i
Childish Gambino - Sober
Lurch & Chief - Keep it Together

all to do well too.

Royal Blood could get a couple in between Ten Tonne Skeleton, Little Monster and Figure It Out. Violent Soho with Saramona Said should do alright. Fooies always seem to chart regardless of how much play jjj give them.

Violent Soho with Saramona Said should do alright.

See I would argue that particular song shouldn't be eligible as the album was released in the third quarter of 2013. If it is then I'd be voting for Fur Eyes by Violent Soho which was pushed as a single a few months ago.

JJJ are a bit inconsistent with their eligibility though. Pez's "The Game" farcically made it into the top 200 two years in a row!

JJJ are a bit inconsistent with their eligibility though. Pez's "The Game" farcically made it into the top 200 two years in a row!

That's not as bad as when Rage Against The Machine's "Renegades of Funk", Metallica's "No Leaf Clover", Machine Gun Fellatio's "Mutha Fukka on a Motorcycle", The Whitlams' "Thank You" & Luscious Jackson's "Naked Eye" all made the ACTUAL hottest 100 two years in a row o_O

Also this years favourite in Milky Chance's "Stolen Dance" was first released in April 2013, so if "Saramona Said" isn't eligible then "Stolen Dance" shouldn't be either!

That's not as bad as when Rage Against The Machine's "Renegades of Funk", Metallica's "No Leaf Clover", Machine Gun Fellatio's "Mutha Fukka on a Motorcycle", The Whitlams' "Thank You" & Luscious Jackson's "Naked Eye" all made the ACTUAL hottest 100 two years in a row o_O

Also this years favourite in Milky Chance's "Stolen Dance" was first released in April 2013, so if "Saramona Said" isn't eligible then "Stolen Dance" shouldn't be either!

I think in the case of Stolen Dance they'll probably go with the rationale that it was only first played on the station in 2014, I might check that though because surely it got a run in 2013 and garnered a few votes (obviously not enough to get it in the top 200)

EDIT: It was first played on JJJ on 14 Nov 2013, and then again on 22 Nov and 15 Dec. It didn't get another airing until April and has since been played 123 times

Few songs I expect to poll well:
Milky Chance- Stolen Dance
Zhu- Faded
Peking Duk- High
Peking Duk- Take Me Over (feat. SAFIA)
Chet Faker- Talk Is Cheap
SBTRKT- New Dorp, New York (feat. Ezra)
Jungle- Busy Earnin'
Jamie T- Zombie
Future Islands- Seasons
The Kite String Tangle- Arcadia
Vance Joy- Mess Is Mine

My Shortlist at this stage:
Banks- Drowning
Broods- Mother & Father
Circa Waves- Stuck In My Teeth
City Calm Down- Pavement
Darlia- Dear Diary
The Delta Riggs- Supersonic Casualties
DMA's- Laced
DZ Deathrays- Keep Myself On Edge
Ecca Vandal- White Flag
The Horrors- So Now You Know
Interpol- All The Rage Back Home
Jamie T- Turn On the Light
King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard- Cellophane
Peace- Money
Rolls Bayce- Don't Get Me Wrong
San Cisco- Run
Skaters- Schemers
Superfood- Right On Satellite
Temples- Keep In The Dark
The War On Drugs- Red Eyes
Wolf Alice- Moaning Lisa Smile
New Dorp New York should poll well, good song. No idea about Jamie T. He's been one of those artists whose Britishness and guitar sound worked really well in Australia, but the absence might've dulled it a little. Hope Zombie goes okay because I like the lad. Reckon he could sneak Don't You Find into the lower 10 or 12.

Did they play much Interpol this year?

New Dorp New York should poll well, good song. No idea about Jamie T. He's been one of those artists whose Britishness and guitar sound worked really well in Australia, but the absence might've dulled it a little. Hope Zombie goes okay because I like the lad. Reckon he could sneak Don't You Find into the lower 10 or 12.

Did they play much Interpol this year?
They played a heap of 'All The Rage Back Home' and 'My Desire' but none of the other songs really

I think in the case of Stolen Dance they'll probably go with the rationale that it was only first played on the station in 2014, I might check that though because surely it got a run in 2013 and garnered a few votes (obviously not enough to get it in the top 200)

EDIT: It was first played on JJJ on 14 Nov 2013, and then again on 22 Nov and 15 Dec. It didn't get another airing until April and has since been played 123 times
I think they make room for songs like Stolen Dance just because of how it blew up this year. It only wouldn't be eligible if it had been on the voting list last year. I know for the Hottest 100 20 years version they explicitly outlined the period within which the song had to have been initially released, but it seems to be less concrete for other versions.

Hi guys, getting started early. I haven't thought about this much yet, even in terms of what I am going to vote for. My listening to JJJ is now almost completely confined to the time spent in the shower. I must admit I have probably moved over to JJ when listening to the radio at home.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think they make room for songs like Stolen Dance just because of how it blew up this year. It only wouldn't be eligible if it had been on the voting list last year. I know for the Hottest 100 20 years version they explicitly outlined the period within which the song had to have been initially released, but it seems to be less concrete for other versions.
Neither Stolen Dance or Saramona Said were on last year's voting lists, nor did I record any votes for either out of the 9000 or so I recorded.

One song I thought would poll well when I first heard it but has since disappeared off most of these type of prediction lists is Ball Park Music's "She Only Loves Me When I'm There". They generally poll well and its a catchy pop tune. Possibility?

One song I thought would poll well when I first heard it but has since disappeared off most of these type of prediction lists is Ball Park Music's "She Only Loves Me When I'm There". They generally poll well and its a catchy pop tune. Possibility?

Fairly early in the year and also they have so many good/catchy pop songs on their latest album that they'll steal votes off each other. I could have raffled off one of five in my list.

Not a great year so far, here's my shortlist anyway.

Interpol - All The Rage Back Home
The War On Drugs - Red Eyes
Clipping - Work Work
Temples - Colours To Life
Black Keys - Weight Of Love
Black Keys - Gotta Get Away
DMA's - Feels Like 37
DMA's - Laced
Benjamin Booker - Violent Shiver
Foxygen - How Can You Really
Bluejuice - I'll Go Crazy
Superfood - Right On Satellite
Benjamin Booker - Have You Seen My Son?

Genuine question...What is the market that cares about this 100 list?

Triple J's target market so 18-30 sorta range

And then casuals listening on Australia Day. You can't deny it's a big part of the culture whether you like it or not. But anyway.. probably a debate for another thread

Triple J's target market so 18-30 sorta range

And then casuals listening on Australia Day. You can't deny it's a big part of the culture whether you like it or not. But anyway.. probably a debate for another thread
No debate needed...I just had a feeling from the songs I saw that maybe this year the ABC/triple J might be aiming for a older crowd.

I just checked my iTunes, and I only have 13 albums released this year (including U2), plus an EP and some singles. Voting this year is going to be tough.

I just checked my iTunes, and I only have 13 albums released this year (including U2), plus an EP and some singles. Voting this year is going to be tough.

Aye, I feel I've had a bit more of a "retrospective" year as well, going through band's discographies and listening to a lot of acclaimed albums from 2013. 2013, 2012 in particular I was right into music discovery, trawling all the blogs, not so much now

Aye, I feel I've had a bit more of a "retrospective" year as well, going through band's discographies and listening to a lot of acclaimed albums from 2013. 2013, 2012 in particular I was right into music discovery, trawling all the blogs, not so much now
Yeah, this year has been about bands like Sonic Youth and Dinosaur Jr for me.
Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised by the countdown, and find some bands I missed.

Yeah, this year has been about bands like Sonic Youth for me.
Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised by the countdown, and find some bands I missed.
That's a lot of time to dedicate to a band who only have one good song, a cool album cover, and a nice film clip

Remove this Banner Ad

Hottest 100 of 2014 prediction thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back