Hottest 100 of 2014 prediction thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The Bohicas - XXX
DMA's - Delete
Sticky Fingers - Gold Snafu
The War On Drugs - Red Eyes

Thumbs up to these four.

I don't listen to Triple J much during the day so won't have as good of an idea of how much these songs get played but I love Red Eyes and XXX, I actually found out about them through a Xbox game so I'm happy to see that they get played on JJJ haha.

I'd like to SKATERS poll well with Schemers even though I much rather Miss Teen Massachusetts as a song, I can Left Hand Free polling high for Alt J, I'd say Hunger of The Pine and Every Other Freckle will poll too. If eligible, Stolen Dance will get top 5 at least, probably top 3 really, I like Flashed Junk Mind much more as a song though. Peking Duk should aim for top 10 with High and maybe the same for Take Me Over, Personally I'd like to see High get top 5. I hope Holy Holy's Like A Version of Love Will Tear Us Apart polls, I absolutely loved it! But I'm sure how others though of it, I can see it polling because of the original as well, if that makes sense. Seems like every time I listen to Triple J, If You Go by Sticky Fingers has been played, I don't listen particularly often so I could just be getting lucky that I keep hearing that song though haha.

When do they open voting? Start of Jan?

Thumbs up to these four.

I don't listen to Triple J much during the day so won't have as good of an idea of how much these songs get played but I love Red Eyes and XXX, I actually found out about them through a Xbox game so I'm happy to see that they get played on JJJ haha.

I'd like to SKATERS poll well with Schemers even though I much rather Miss Teen Massachusetts as a song, I can Left Hand Free polling high for Alt J, I'd say Hunger of The Pine and Every Other Freckle will poll too. If eligible, Stolen Dance will get top 5 at least, probably top 3 really, I like Flashed Junk Mind much more as a song though. Peking Duk should aim for top 10 with High and maybe the same for Take Me Over, Personally I'd like to see High get top 5. I hope Holy Holy's Like A Version of Love Will Tear Us Apart polls, I absolutely loved it! But I'm sure how others though of it, I can see it polling because of the original as well, if that makes sense. Seems like every time I listen to Triple J, If You Go by Sticky Fingers has been played, I don't listen particularly often so I could just be getting lucky that I keep hearing that song though haha.

When do they open voting? Start of Jan?
Last year it was the 20th of Dec, a month before polls closed.

I can see Zhu, Milky Chance or Vance Joy winning.. I'll wait until the shortlist before making my choices but it will probably contain

Aphex Twin - Minipops 67
Caribou - Can't Do Without You
Thom Yorke - Brain in a Bottle
Banks - Beggin' for Thread
Chance The Rapper - No Better Blues
Chet Faker - Gold
FKA Twigs - Two Weeks

Starting to think 'San Cisco- Run' is a chance to take it out
Don't see it finishing higher than #30. IMO #1 will be Stolen Dance.

Hasn't been a brilliant year for me. Will definitely be voting for this though:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think anything Mark Ronson releases in the next month or so has a good chance of doing well.

Also, Meg Mac - Grandma's Hands should poll high.

Definitely, no clear cut favourties this year unlike 2013's top three.

I think anything Mark Ronson releases in the next month or so has a good chance of doing well.

Lead single from the new album, released a week ago.

It's good, but will the Triple J crowd get into it? Will Triple J even play it? Might be seen as "too mainstream" (seeing the name Bruno Mars could cause them to instantly shy away) and not "cool" enough, even though it's just an extension on the kind of funk stuff Daft Punk were touching on and everyone hipster was going nuts for last year. It might just be dismissed as "Daft Funk" by comparison :p

Last edited:

Yeah you're right. It's pretty interesting that a collaborator such as Bruno Mars may cause a good track to be considered too mainstream for play or to receive votes. But on the other hand there's this one with Tame Impala's Kevin Parker, that will no doubt get heaps of rotation over the summer.

Lead single from the new album, released a week ago.

It's good, but will the Triple J crowd get into it? Will Triple J even play it? Might be seen as "too mainstream" (seeing the name Bruno Mars could cause them to instantly shy away) and not "cool" enough, even though it's just an extension on the kind of funk stuff Daft Punk were touching on and everyone hipster was going nuts for last year. It might just be dismissed as "Daft Funk" by comparison :p

It was the 11th most played track for the past week, so they're definitely playing it! Big fan of the Kevin Parker collaboration

This is basically the top 100 songs of 2014, no genre or anything just overall, am I right?

Sorta. The premise is the top 100 songs, but think of it more as the 'top 100 slightly obscure songs with a few well known ones up the top".

Wow that Mark Ronson/ Bruno Mars song is shit, and not because it features Bruno Mars. Bruno Mars is actually one of my favourite 'Mainstream' artists, but this song is real shit.

The Kevin Parker collab is pretty good, I don't know heaps of Mark Ronson songs, but Bang Bang and the one he did with Boy George were both really good.

I'm guessing it's Superheroes by The Script? I don't the know the song so that's why i was asking haha, wasn't sure if Superheroes might have been a band that I've never heard of.

If it is by The Script, then it won't poll at all.
Yes it is by The Script. How come it won't poll? It is a really good song, my favourite from the year easily.

Yes it is by The Script. How come it won't poll? It is a really good song, my favourite from the year easily.

Too mainstream. Not liked by Triple J listeners, that sounds very hipster but it's true, a fair amount of Triple J listeners are mega hipsters and would burn down the place if they played The Script.

To be perfectly honest, I really don't like that song haha

Remove this Banner Ad

Hottest 100 of 2014 prediction thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back