How good was Saturday nite.

Remove this Banner Ad

Things got a bit out of hand.

Our host and I got hold of the wine list, and he seemed intent upon spending his money (the previous course x matched wine deal doesn't really exist anymore) and one of the 2 ladies wasn't drinking that much. Not sure that the 5 bottles we had did the world of good for the other woman (the birthday girl).

Lost track of the number of courses, but my best guess was about 8 seafood, 2 or 3 meat dishes and multiple desserts (each is tiny).

Started with a Pacific oyster with great dressing, then had some sushi like nibblies with interesting toppings, several little tastes of raw fish with different toppings and dressings, a trio of a scallop with similar treatment, a little cup of truffle soup and part of a marron (?) of some sort of crayfish, best dish of the night was lightly heated almost sashimi salmon with a seaweed crust, a lamb dish followed by beef (both a tad disappointing) and then a battery of desserts. I was about to run amok with the fortifieds, but everyone else reckoned that 4 and a half hours was enough and left.

Funny enough, after a Billecart-Salmon Rose champagne, a gun Clare rielsing, a good Alsace gewurtztraminer, a '90 Coonawarra cabernet-merlot and a pleasant NZ botrytis riesling I really wanted some beers and watch some footy, but the crummy late night bar in Glebe was closed for renovations and I only saw the end of the game in the West at home without beer, after sadly checking out the carnage at the Telstra Dome on the net.

The verdict?

It's certainly an amazing experience, but not really me. I like my food and especially my wine, but a good cheapie is more my style. I only get to go to such places once every few years when someone kindly chooses to take me, and the formality I find a bit intimidating. I think I also prefer shabby surroundings.

And next week when the cheque for my freelance work doesn't turn up and paying the rent is tricky, I'll think of whatever the bill was and what I could have done with it.

All in all I am pretty jealous Dry Rot. You have eaten some foods I have never heard of let alone tasted. The only time I have ever had 8 courses is if you count the peas individually. Seems a long way from roast lamb and three vegetables. I hope you did the gentlemanly thing and carried the tray of the birthday girl.

??Li]Originally posted by Mr. Walker [/i]
All in all I am pretty jealous Dry Rot. You have eaten some foods I have never heard of let alone tasted. The only time I have ever had 8 courses is if you count the peas individually. Seems a long way from roast lamb and three vegetables. I hope you did the gentlemanly thing and carried the tray of the birthday girl. [/QUOTE]

Nothing wrong with a roast, indeed the Kennel is famous for its charred meats which are always popular, except lamb with the Pussyman who prefers organic free range chicken.

The night didn't end well for the birthday girl, who made the mistake of trying to keep up with me and the host and the 5 bottles, and then had a ciggie with me towards the end of the meal. The nicotine rush got to her, she turned pale and disapperaed into the loo for a while.

I fear that not all her courses remained inside her.....

Remove this Banner Ad

How good was Saturday nite.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back