witsend

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 22, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Lakers
Now we're back in training, I am curious as to how many players had operations this summer? It would be nice to get a full pre-season into all our team.

Seriously, what's the deal with Hawkin's foot. Can anyone confirm/deny that he's had surgery? He's been carrying it for a long time now.

It's a worry if he's still off it, given the rest he's had over the last few months. ....That's assuming that he hasn't gone under the knife. Either way it's not a great sign.

Seriously, what's the deal with Hawkin's foot. Can anyone confirm/deny that he's had surgery? He's been carrying it for a long time now.

It's a worry if he's still off it, given the rest he's had over the last few months. ....That's assuming that he hasn't gone under the knife. Either way it's not a great sign.

It's simply precautionary. Hotspots are the precursors to stress fractures so it's a case of the club taking the long term view that it's better for Hawkins miss a few weeks now or take it easier earlier in his career so that he isn't plagued by stress fractures from this early stage. Once his body is able to handle a full pre-season he'll be ok.

It's simply precautionary. Hotspots are the precursors to stress fractures so it's a case of the club taking the long term view that it's better for Hawkins miss a few weeks now or take it easier earlier in his career so that he isn't plagued by stress fractures from this early stage. Once his body is able to handle a full pre-season he'll be ok.

My point is, we are no longer counting weeks with this injury, rather months! He was 'resting' his foot well before the finals started.

His ability to complete a full pre-season is now questionable.

My point is, we are no longer counting weeks with this injury, rather months! He was 'resting' his foot well before the finals started.

His ability to complete a full pre-season is now questionable.

And yet he was in decent form in the reserves on the eve of the finals.

To be honest, at this stage I'm not concerned that he isn't doing a full pre-season given the club's precautionary approach.

Given his mature size from such an early age and the big jump from school boy footy to AFL, I'd rather Hawkins gradually build up to a full pre-season over a number of years to ensure that he's at his prime in his mid-20s onwards rather than going too hard now and being injury plagued throughout his career.

He may not do a full pre-season this year (remember, it's precautionary re the hotspots) but he'll be getting closer to it over the next few years.

Who knows, he may start this pre-season slow and finish it strongly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

How many went under the knife?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back