How much longer can Priddis be debated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Colledge should go back the WAFL and be told. "You own the hard ball".

He was so aggressive in the WAFL round 1. I really expected him to come into the AFL and command a presence on the field, but he seemed timid tonight. I'd be inclined to give him another game and making it clear he's there for his physicality and see how he reacts.

Priddis really does set the standard for our midfield.

I am always worried when the young guys like Sheed say that they are learning a lot from Priddis...

I am not a Priddis hater; I have a lot of respect for him. I just don't think he is classy enough to be the first choice midfielder in an AFL team.

No. Same goes with about 20 others tonight, though. You however felt the need to bump a 10 month old thread to express your outrage so you could single him out. I'm sort of over your 'Ploddus' obsession tbh, it's rather tiresome old chap.
In regards to Priddis and how much of a threat he is to other teams, the one question is how often does he get tagged... Never! opposition team know its 50/50 when he gets the ball so why bother. I would rather see us get games into sheed.
We had our solution. Ebert whom was consistently towling up Priddis in every training drill and every intra club practice match.

Worsfold of course chose to gift these games to one of the most ordinary blokes our list.

We had our solution. Ebert whom was consistently towling up Priddis in every training drill and every intra club practice match.

Worsfold of course chose to gift these games to one of the most ordinary blokes our list.

Ebert got plenty of games. He chose to go home. Would he have made a difference tonight were he still with us?

Ebert got plenty of games. He chose to go home. Would he have made a difference tonight were he still with us?
And why exactly are we wasting years and years of development into an ordinary footballer?

To answer your question, Ebert left because of the pig-headed attitude of Worsfold gifting games to lame players, when Ebert clearly had it all over Priddis.

Would Ebert have made a difference tonight. You never know, the players in the team might rise up when they realise they won't be beaten in clearances all night, when Priddis has no impact on the game, when the players have to put more of an effort into covering up his inadequacies.

Would a Masten or Shuey?

I think both of them playing would ensure we lost by less. Along with Ebert. But the fact is we had none of them available for us tonight. Is there anyone waiting in the WAFL that should've played in place of him tonight? And going forward in the future? I'm not sold on Hutchings being a massive step up from Priddis for the time being, and I'm also not sold on playing the kids this year, just for the sake of playing the kids.

Brett Priddis is a god damn icon!

He was so aggressive in the WAFL round 1. I really expected him to come into the AFL and command a presence on the field, but he seemed timid tonight. I'd be inclined to give him another game and making it clear he's there for his physicality and see how he reacts.

Colledge is a monster at WAFL level and if he's to be a midfielder for us he really needs to be dominating at that level. He has a bit to learn as far as positioning and timing goes, this is best learned down a league surely.

And why exactly are we wasting years and years of development into an ordinary footballer?

To answer your question, Ebert left because of the pig-headed attitude of Worsfold gifting games to lame players, when Ebert clearly had it all over Priddis.

Ebert got 22 games in his last season with us, and the season before. He certainly was getting game time. Or are you suggesting that Ebert left because he hated Priddis being selected?

I think both of them playing would ensure we lost by less. Along with Ebert. But the fact is we had none of them available for us tonight. Is there anyone waiting in the WAFL that should've played in place of him tonight? And going forward in the future? I'm not sold on Hutchings being a massive step up from Priddis for the time being, and I'm also not sold on playing the kids this year, just for the sake of playing the kids.

We are missing inside hard running uncompromising mids with half a brain and Hutch is the only one in the background that fits that mold.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He got plenty of games in a position which didn't suit his strengths, and I'd argue, actually enhanced his weaknesses. Poor management of his development on our behalf was almost certainly a factor in his decision to leave (perhaps not the primary), and it contributed to his gross devaluation which saw us lose a young genuine inside mid of quality for effectively nothing. I's no fluke that he's performing so well leading the Port midfield (which is infinitely better than our own mind you).

And I'd argue he would've made a difference in the middle, where we were completely and utterly monstered. By no means the difference between winning and losing, but certainly in forcing a contest at stoppages where Geelong were free to do as they pleased.

We are missing inside hard running uncompromising mids with half a brain and Hutch is the only one in the background that fits that mold.

I agree re: 'hard running uncompromising mids' - but I am of the view that Hutchings is not a massive step up from Priddis. If we want to fast-track his development (along with Colledge, Sheed et al), then I suppose we could shelve the senior players like Priddis and forget about finals this year - but I'm not sure I want to go down this road just yet. Priddis was good enough before tonight, and he wasn't alone in having a stinker.

I agree re: 'hard running uncompromising mids' - but I am of the view that Hutchings is not a massive step up from Priddis. If we want to fast-track his development (along with Colledge, Sheed et al), then I suppose we could shelve the senior players like Priddis and forget about finals this year - but I'm not sure I want to go down this road just yet. Priddis was good enough before tonight, and he wasn't alone in having a stinker.

At least the Hutch will attempt to take the best option when under pressure and his kicking is a hell of a lot better. He is also a tackling machine and has plenty of dash. Don't forget he is only 22 years old with plenty of developing to do. Some have also argued that he was easily best 22 at the start of the year before doing his back. I think if we can compliment his type with another 2 hard running mids like the ones you mentioned then I would say we are tracking well. But we can only move forward once Priddis moves on.

I am always worried when the young guys like Sheed say that they are learning a lot from Priddis...
Stupid thing to say. Its not like they are going to learn to run slower and kick shorter from him.... His work ethic would be amongst the best in the AFL and despite his phyiscal shortcomings, he plays well.

At least the Hutch will attempt to take the best option when under pressure and his kicking is a hell of a lot better. He is also a tackling machine and has plenty of dash. Don't forget he is only 22 years old with plenty of developing to do. Some have also argued that he was easily best 22 at the start of the year before doing his back. I think if we can compliment his type with another 2 hard running mids like the ones you mentioned then I would say we are tracking well. But we can only move forward once Priddis moves on.

Like you said Hutchings still has plenty of development left - and a bonus is that he's not some 18 year old rake. Time to hit the trade table hard at the end of this season?

I know I don't visit this board much but from late last year I was of the firm belief that Priddis should be phased out - but I saw little apart from Hutch last year that presented a clear option to replace him. Adam Carter? Perhaps giving Sheed more and more game time?

Stupid thing to say. Its not like they are going to learn to run slower and kick shorter from him.... His work ethic would be amongst the best in the AFL and despite his phyiscal shortcomings, he plays well.

Maybe he is learning to do the opposite of Priddis, minus the possession accumulation.

But at the same token, other than teaching sheed to bottle up the game and get a clearance, what other advice could he offer.

I mean, if he can't spread, can't play offensively, can't tag... what words of wisdom can he give?

How to try hard? Don't need a Ploddus type for that.

I am not questioning Priddis' work ethic. If you read the rest of the post you would see that I am questioning his talent and the fact that he is regarded as our premier midfielder. I would hope that there would be players around the club who can teach the young guys how to dispose of the ball EFFECTIVELY when under pressure.

Pathetic comment.
Priddis an integral part of our midfield.
You want another Garry Ablett.
Well it's not going to happen.
You use what we have to best advantage and build around them.
Consistent, gutsy,dedicated and wins hard ball week after week.

Just thought I would post this here as well as it is relevant.
And judging by these disposal not long.

I decided to document Priddis' game after the 10 minute mark of the third quarter because I was bored.
This is what he did for the rest of the game.

Third Quarter:
Hand ball direct to opponent
HB to team mate under pressure-turnover
Tackle
Arrives in forward line
Falls over in Boundary throw in

Last quarter:
Runs behind 2 Geelong players and touches them
Runs in front of contest does nothing
Runs to contest does nothing
Tackles
HB into Geelong players foot
HB to team mate
Ball falls out of hand after taking possession
Tackles
HB to TM- Effective possession
Tackles
Kicks out of bounds on the full
Hand ball

Commentator makes comment on his 8 kicks and only one hitting a target.

This is disgraceful from our number 1 mid and we went from having a proud history of powerful midfielder to having this spud as our number 1 mid.
My friend, I also have nothing better to do with my life and done the exact same thing, although I started from the first bounce and gave up prior to the last quarter. And only made mental notes so surely not as accurate as yourself.

He legitimately did not have one productive disposal until time-on in the first quarter, and that was a 1m hand-pass to a player under pressure who only managed to dispose of the ball before being ambushed.

The second was hardly better, although 2 aggressive hand passes hit a player running into space so that was nice.

Only a solitary kick in the entire game actually hit a team-mate.

A few other disposals found a team-mate before the opposition or the boundary line, but not by virtue of their quality.

And the momentum generated off him in stoppages is ridiculous. He must have the slowest acceleration from a standstill of anyone on our list, and the opposition mids take full advantages of this deficiency. Unless the ruck tap falls directly to him, he is completely ineffective at stoppages, and perhaps even a hindrance.

To see him named in our best week after week indicates that the sports media are full of f*cking morons who rely on stats to do their work for them.

Pathetic comment.

No-one here is expecting the next Gary Ablett Jr from our current stocks. But I think most of us know that Priddis has limitations and we should be looking for better options going forward.

Pathetic comment.
Suggest you take your glasses off and read those stats. Was utter tripe tonight. Complete and utter useless and ineffectual rubbish from him tonight.

If the AFL was to make a video of what not to do, it would be him. How to play 150 games and have no impact on the game whatsoever.

I feel utterly disgusted that we've had to put up with his blandness for so long. Our very own version of Shaun McManus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back