Strategy How to fill the list of a new team

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the best way is they have a lot of early picks but a certain amount of them, they actually have to trade away. By doing that, it will lead to them actually having ready made players and not just fringe or veteran players but ones clubs will trade away for very early picks.
I do not like the suggestion they get some hold on Vic- regional players for a number of years as that would hurt Brisbane that actually adopt a strategy to draft a lot of Vic country kids with the thinking because they not from the city their pull back to an actual club in Melbourne itself is not a strong as metro based Vic kids. I think that has worked for Lions so would be unfair to indirectly * them over in that way for a numbef of years.
I'm more than fine with they get some priority access to Tassie best kids for a good number of years though. But in line with present live bidding on Academy players and father-son bids we already do.

That all seems about right to me too. I believe that the plan is for mandatory trading of a substantial number of high picks. I recall reading previously that the AFL want to enforce this to assist Tassie in being more competitive early on and ensuring they don’t have an absolute monopoly on the draft as was the case with GC and GWS.

That all seems about right to me too. I believe that the plan is for mandatory trading of a substantial number of high picks. I recall reading previously that the AFL want to enforce this to assist Tassie in being more competitive early on and ensuring they don’t have an absolute monopoly on the draft as was the case with GC and GWS.
The big problem with the draft picks that are being forced to be traded that there is no equal force coming from the the established teams to even the trades meaning Tas will be paying massive bids for barely list cloggers.

The big problem with the draft picks that are being forced to be traded that there is no equal force coming from the the established teams to even the trades meaning Tas will be paying massive bids for barely list cloggers.

Surely there’ll be mechanisms in place to prevent that from happening. Also heard they will be offering sign-on bonuses too so hopefully that will help entice a few decent players.

Access to all our own junior talent. The announcement should see a boost in numbers so access to our own players for a while is a must. Some form of performance centre setup asap to start working frequently with the best kids and would hope a VFL team too. Think we certainly still have plenty of talent but with the AFL's neglect these are lost to other sports or blokes taking a good pay day to play with mates and sink cans in the regional comps over state league and not take the game as serious. A VFL team alone will keep the best interested as it is legit a step away as opposed to current state league which is sub par to most lower level leagues in Vic, WA and SA.

They needed to get academies and get funding into the state leagues this year I feel.
Clubs like Hobart falling over is never a good sign, heck I was nearly tempted to lace up the boots to help out at Hobart just to fill a roster spot!

They needed to get academies and get funding into the state leagues this year I feel.
Clubs like Hobart falling over is never a good sign, heck I was nearly tempted to lace up the boots to help out at Hobart just to fill a roster spot!

All due respect to SFL clubs, its the TSL that needs to be restructured, funded & made the base of player development locally. Keeping the undrafted kids who may be tempted to leave for SA, Qld Vic etc. The current Devils program kids will become the academies' first intake.

All due respect to SFL clubs, its the TSL that needs to be restructured, funded & made the base of player development locally. Keeping the undrafted kids who may be tempted to leave for SA, Qld Vic etc. The current Devils program kids will become the academies' first intake.
It all needs to be done. Public and Private school comps need to be created and funded well. North vs South games, Public vs Private games.

Two teams to model "how to build a first year franchise".
The JackJumpers and the Redcliffe Dolphins (who modelled recruiting on the JackJumpers).
Get young, hungry players who are willing to play hard team footy, and surround them with experienced players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would like to see every club have to send one player to Tassie. That player would have to have played at least 5 AFL games.

That's basically how an expansion draft works and how they do these things in America.

Every team loses 1 or 2 players of around the same value. The players who go all get a financial bonus for going.

It is a much better system than what they used for Gold Coast and GWS.

This is a really interesting topic. Tassie should be thought of like Geelong. Many players love Geelong as it is in a AFL area and has a slower pace. GWS and Gold Coast are not football areas. Many country kids would love to go to Tassie for fishing, golf, etc. I think the key strategy though should be to sort out state league, the AFL needs to step in though, the current administrators are too parochial. There needs to be a VFL team, with some experienced AFL players at end of career to help younger players adapt. If there is a base of 10 players who are strong bodies when Tassie is introduced that would be brilliant. The rest will come through drafts and expansion draft

Agreed.... Say if the Tassie team comes in 2027.

From 2024, the Tassie state league or Tassie academy centres need the best 16-18 year Olds available in 2024.

By the end of 2026, those 16-18 year Olds will be 18-20 year Olds ready to be drafted

Strikes me that as tassie is not producing a lot of AFL players these days, they cant go the WA or SA plan, and the Gold coast GWS strategy was flawed as well (not to mention GWS got 2 strong drafts and GCS got just one which was weak as well

GWS got arguably about 16 first round picks over two years. GCS got about 8 in one year but there was pre-listing over a couple of years for both franchises

GWS then formulated a strategy to keep recycling their players and have been well represented in first rounds since. its been successful and probably should be formalised for any new team

In terms of first round picks, it would be better for a new team to have 16 first round selections over 4 years (4 per year), or have 3 in first and 3 in second over a 4-5 year period, than have them all concentrated in one or two drafts which could turn out to be duds.
thereafter just have the first pick each round

Limits on how many can be traded, or also have free agency type picks with compensation for 'donor' clubs
Well You look at Past history of how clubs had been formed and the players have those clubs had....

Brisbane: In 1987, Only had 35 players While the Victorian CLubs had 52.. Had VFL experienced players. But they were old or rejects. They had 6 Predraft picks and All were from the SANFL. Brisbane also had the early pick of each round. All were SANFL players too. They struggled.

West coast: In 1987, they only had 35 players. 6 or 7 of them had VFL experience from other clubs. From an ageing Ross Glendenning and ageing John Annear to an injury prone Phil Narkle. The rest were 18-21 year old WAFL locals who 6 years later were 24-27 year olds in the 1992 flag. This was 1987 so the Gap Between WAFL and AFL/VFL wasnt big.

Adelaide: Crows in 1991 had a decent list. Had a list of 40-45 players. Mainly from the SANFL. There were some guys with VFL/ AFL experience Like Tony McGuiness, Bruce Abernathy and Bruce Linder. A few young guys aged 18-20 were on that 1991 list where 7 year later were aged 25-27 in 1997 when the flag was won. Graham Cornes was the Crows coach. He was glenelg coach from 1985-1990. Won SANFL flags in 1985-6. So not Suprising that Chris McDermott and Tony McGuiness were the leaders.

This was 1991 so The Gap between AFL and SANFL wasnt big.

Fremantle: In 1995 they had a massive 50 man squad. Saying that Gerard Neesham was the coach. Won flags as WAFL coach with Claremont in 1987, 1989, 1991 and 1993. Ben Allan was the captain. he was from Claremont. Dockers were mainly WA guys from other AFL clubs that played under neeshams claremont side. The others were 18-21 year old kids from the WAFL clubs.

Some of those Ex Claremont guys were the equivalent of guys that play 4 or 5 years at their previous club and played 20-30 games each.

This was 1995, so the gap between WAFL and AFL was noticeable. But freo were competitive.

Port Adelaide: in 1997, Port Adelaide mainly got Port Magpies players. John Cahill was Port Powers 1st coach and his prevous coaching job was coaching the Port Magpies in the SANFL. Port Powers 1st captain, Gavin Wanganeen came from essendon. He too was a Port Magpie.

In 1997, there was a gap between the AFL and SANFL.

Gold Coast: in 2011 the suns came into the comp. They had a massive 45-50 man list. only Had 8 players with AFL experience. But they were in their prime age of 24-28 such as Jared Brennan and Campbell Brown and Garay Ablett Junior. They had a solid footing but the suns have not made finals.

GWS: Came into the comp in 2012. Only had 7 or 8 players with AFL experience. GWS had a massive 50 man list. Made finals in 2016-19 and 21.

The Question is..... Does Tasmanias AFL side need 10 1st round picks to be competitive?

I dont think so.

Gold coast suns had 9 picks in the 1st 15 and stuffed up half of them.

Most clubs have 42-44 players on their list.... 38 in the main Squad and 4-6 players in their rookie list.

I think Tassies list can be set up in Moderation. They can still have a young llist without having tons of 1st rounders.

Free Agency will play a part.... I see the Tassie Side get 8-12 free agents. Preferably tassie locals.

You can have the Tassie side have 10 pre listed players or 10 delisted players from other clubs on 1 or 2 year deals. The list cloggers.

Then comes the draft picks. I dont think they need 9 or 10 first rounders.

The tassie club should get 14- 16 draft picks in total. They should get the 1st 2 picks or 1st 4 picks in the draft. That should get them the core of a young side: the best Inside mid, the best outside mid, the best tall defender and best tall forward.

After that, they should get the 1st 2 picks from the 2nd round onwards. Thats 2 2nds, 3rds, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th rounders. thats another 12 picks

and to top it off, instead of 6 rookie listed players, hand them 8 rookie pick players.

So in essence.....

8 free agents

12 delisted players from other clubs.

14-16 picks in the national draft.

So thats 34-36 players on the main squad.

and 8 rookie picks.

So right there 42-44 players in the main squad.

I think the best way is they have a lot of early picks but a certain amount of them, they actually have to trade away. By doing that, it will lead to them actually having ready made players and not just fringe or veteran players but ones clubs will trade away for very early picks.
I do not like the suggestion they get some hold on Vic- regional players for a number of years as that would hurt Brisbane that actually adopt a strategy to draft a lot of Vic country kids with the thinking because they not from the city their pull back to an actual club in Melbourne itself is not a strong as metro based Vic kids. I think that has worked for Lions so would be unfair to indirectly * them over in that way for a numbef of years.
I'm more than fine with they get some priority access to Tassie best kids for a good number of years though. But in line with present live bidding on Academy players and father-son bids we already do.
Look what Gold coast and GWS had. Both teams had 9 picks in the 1st 15. Picks 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 9 , 11, 13 and 15.

Were any those picks traded off for experienced players? Nope.

As I posted, you might as well hand Tassie the 1st 2 picks of every round of 1st to 7th rounders. Thats 14 picks.

The 1st , 2nd , 3rd and 4th rounders will get them the 18 and 19 year Olds. Then the 5th, 6th and 7th rounders will be selected on mature agers or delisted players from other clubs or list cloggers.

The AFL needs to find a way to free up the decent middle run talent. The GWS model gave them all the top end talent you could want.

Instead of forcing teams to do protected lists & unprotected lists, I think you just make a larger group of players who are uncontracted over 3 years, by temporarily increasing the number of mandatory delistings, double it. Teams have enough time to work that into their list strategy for contracts. The Tassie team then gets first crack at those players, then the other teams come in with the players going into a preseason draft. (Instead of clubs loading up with kids)

Obviously the AFLPA needs to tick off on anything like this, but how’s the time as the CBA is being negotiated

Tarryn Thomas as a marquee player.

Chayce Jones would be a good one. Would be 28 by the time a ball in bounced in Hobart.

Looking to have finally come on for the Crows. Would hopefully have played nearly 150 games by then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back