Entertainment & Music How to MC a wedding

Remove this Banner Ad

snapper28

Debutant
Aug 21, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Have recieved the call up to MC a mates wedding. Am looking for some advice on how best to approach it. Let a few jokes fly or keep it straight or simple.

If anyone has done the job before or been to a wedding and can remember some good points or some issues to stay away from it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

I MC'd my grandfathers 90th birthday. Didn't even know it needed an MC. Called my brother up to make a speech that he didn't know he was making. Watched him stumble through 5 minutes of 'umm's and 'aah's. Damn funny.

I had one of my groomsmen mc my wedding all you really need to do is introduce the couples and intro the speeches depending on how well you know the couple and what kind of people they are and you are keep it as funny without going over the top or play it straight and simple.

my mate put in a few jokes everyone had a laugh he did a great job considering he winged the whole thing

I am MC Hammer.

my advice would be make sure you have new kicks and pants

now you got that everyone will wanna dance

get people to move out their seat, grab a fly girl

then catch your beat

Talk about how lovely the wedding cake looks and use the subject as a segue into the following... ("speaking about cakes...")

A guy goes into a bakery and asks for a cake in the shape of a letter B. He comes back to pick it up the next day, and says, “Oh, I’m sorry, I totally forgot to tell you I wanted it to be a lower case B. I’ll pay for this one, but could you redo it as a lower-case?” The baker says, “Hey, that’s okay, no problem, I’ll redo it, and I won’t charge you.” So the guy comes back the next day to pick up the cake, and says, “Oh, I can’t believe I forgot to tell you this, but I wanted it to be a cursive lower-case B.” “The baker says, “Well, this time I’m going to have to charge you for this one, but come back tomorrow and we’ll have a cursive lower-case B for you.” So the guy comes back the next day, inspects the cake, and pronounces it perfect. The baker says, “Would you like me to wrap that up for you?” and the guy answers, “No, that’s okay, I’ll just eat it here.”

They should be charged for admission to hear that rib tickler.

I MC'd a wedding last year. I was pretty nervous because many people at this wedding were at mine where my sister had been a brilliant MC.

The bride was a pharmacist, the groom was a surgeon, the best man, an anesthetist etc..... so a pretty intelligent bunch of guests!

I started by welcoming everybody, going through the itinerary for the night, the house rules,,, where to go for a smoke etc then said,

"I was quite nervous coming here to do this job tonight so I looked on the net for a few tips. Most made the point that the wedding is all about the bride and groom, so don't try to make it about yourself, be low key, nobody has come to the wedding to listen to you - Frankly, I reckon that's bullshit ! They knew exactly what they were getting when they asked me to MC and that's what they are gonna get" It got a lot of laughs and I punctuated the night with made up stories of how they met via personals, some better than others. Told plenty of jokes through the night and it worked well.

To be honest, coming from Yorkshire, I reckon my whole family is very quick witted and able to react on our feet. It was often unscripted comments that got the better laughs.

I am quite comfortable as a public speaker, so I found it pretty easy. If you are ok with public speaking and normally a good joke teller, it helps to keep the night flowing and relaxed. If you are not normally a joke teller, it can be not so good as it often comes across as the MC just reading from a script. If you do tell jokes, keep them PG rated. Nobody likes smut at a wedding.

Best advice, play to your strengths and be yourself.

My friends are getting married on friday and 6 months ago they asked me to do a reading at the wedding and i said "no due to a fear of speaking in public" - anyway, not a word has been spoken about it until i got an email from the wife today with the reading i have to do...

Another friend said that i should say "no" and gave the example that i wouldn't ask her to get bitten by a spider on my wedding day, "Please, get bitten by a spider, because i want you to and you will feel really bad if you don't do this for me".

Anyway, i will do it because these guys are 2 of my best friends, i love them and it would be nice to be involved in their wedding, but, wtf, pretty sure i said "no" 6 months ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My friends are getting married on friday and 6 months ago they asked me to do a reading at the wedding and i said "no due to a fear of speaking in public" - anyway, not a word has been spoken about it until i got an email from the wife today with the reading i have to do...

Another friend said that i should say "no" and gave the example that i wouldn't ask her to get bitten by a spider on my wedding day, "Please, get bitten by a spider, because i want you to and you will feel really bad if you don't do this for me".

Anyway, i will do it because these guys are 2 of my best friends, i love them and it would be nice to be involved in their wedding, but, wtf, pretty sure i said "no" 6 months ago.

I feel pretty similarly to you regarding public speaking, I got forced into MCing the whole thing thanks to my speech at my own wedding, which apprently went down very well.

Said no on several occasions, just got ignored :cool:

I'm kinda glad I did it now

MCing is a whole different ball game. I can imagine it would be one of those terrifying things leading up to, but feel incredibly glad once you'd done it and done it well.

Mine is just a little reading, it's no big deal. Just that the last presentation i did at work was just abysmal. It was horrible for me and i can imagine everyone watching. Atleast five collegues organised 'out of the blue' catch ups with me and casually bought up things to help public speaking.

The generous responses were actually very touching but overall... pretty bad experience. :eek:

I MC'd my brothers wedding which went down with out a hitch.
The best advice is to be yourself, if your not naturally quick witted you shouldnt force it your role should be to play the straight man if you are- pay out on the groom, no one cares if you do so long as its funny.
Dont ever pay out on the bride, never goes down well....

Remove this Banner Ad

Entertainment & Music How to MC a wedding

Remove this Banner Ad

Back